Buzzard 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by RPM314, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 10, 2016, 10:10 PM
Funkworks Aircraft Industries
Build Log

Buzzard 2

Hi, all. New plane.

Design mission: A smaller, slower flyer that can operate in small fields and places not as isolated as an AMA airfield safely. Good efficiency, light as possible and aerobatic.

Configuration: 900mm span conventional plane with a tractor prop, minimal fuselage, thin tail boom, large control surfaces, full span flaperons, and no landing gear. (NEVER landing gear! )

Construction: 3mm gray depron sheeting and 0.75oz fiberglass cloth for most surfaces, with ZAP finishing epoxy as the matrix. Wing spars and the tail boom will be made from CF pultrusions. This construction technique will be new to me, so I'm bound to make mistakes. This is a practice plane, more than anything, for what I'll be building next.

Equipment: 1500kv Blue Wonder swinging a 9x6 prop, Nanotech 2s 850mAh battery, KEDA 12A ESC, Lemon RX 6ch reciever. Hobbyking 11g servos in the wings, TowerPro 13g carbon servos for the tail surfaces.

Construction completed on 4/10/16. AUW: 300g Looks:

Maiden: Pretty good. Lots of turbulence but it took it well.
The plane is agile and has snappy response around all axes. Climbing performance is nice and the plane is plenty fast, you can tell that it is very slippery. The big 9x6 windmilling is a huge drag brake though, so I might have to look into a folding prop.
It still slows down very nice, especially with flaps down. It can fly reasonably in a 150 foot square field. I'll have to wait for calmer conditions to push the low speed end of the envelope. The motor/prop combo is pretty quiet, which is a plus.

Last edited by RPM314; Sep 09, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts