Apr 15, 2016, 10:34 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
I had this one in a 1400mm Correx Spitfire, it weighted 2kgs, had plenty of power with a 3 blade 10 x 5 on 4s. I say Had, because the short nose on the Spitfire made it very difficult to balance. I had 100gs of led and a 3700 4s in it and it was still tail heavy... I've since removed the motor, ESC and battery and using it for Slope. Will need to install a weighted spinner for balance.
So in saying that, this is one BIG motor for a 1000mm W/s plane!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2016, 10:48 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thanks for the info Duke

I am expecting this one to come in at about 1200 - 1500 grams Duke ... she is a big mother ... I am even thinking that the wings should be full symmetrical AND it will have to have landing gear

Lockey
Apr 15, 2016, 10:50 PM
Lockey if your W/s is going to be 1m to 1.2 m then I would be installing one of these -- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...trSearch=3010b

It has a twin brother L3010C which has a long shaft and pedestal mount... Very good motor and worth a look.
Apr 15, 2016, 10:58 PM
What about an asymmetrical flat bottom wing? the symmetrical wing I found difficult to make.
I can see some 2mm alloy flat bar being used in this one??
Apr 15, 2016, 10:58 PM
That does look like a nice motor Duke and I will be bearing it in mind

Aluminium would probably be a good idea for the undercarriage eh Duke

You talking something like this ?? (see pic) .. probably a good idea mate, more lift too, I was going to go with a KFm wing but I think this one deserves something a bit nicer

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah baby! that's the one! Do you think the bottom wing would be thinner than the top wing? ( height not cord)
I was thinking the undercarriage would be set into the bottom wing, running through the fuselage and under the battery tray? That may create a very strong structure for the bottom wing and the wheels.
You could slot the alloy and locate the bottom spar into the alloy wheel struts as it runs down the angle on the bottom wing, then out to the wing tip struts...... Wow ideas flooding in ... Lol...
Apr 15, 2016, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Oh yeah baby! that's the one! Do you think the bottom wing would be thinner than the top wing? ( height not cord)
I was thinking the undercarriage would be set into the bottom wing, running through the fuselage and under the battery tray? That may create a very strong structure for the bottom wing and the wheels.
You could slot the alloy and locate the bottom spar into the alloy wheel struts as it runs down the angle on the bottom wing, then out to the wing tip struts...... Wow ideas flooding in ... Lol...
Duke, whats your thinking behind a thinner wing on the bottom ??

I think we are both on the same wavelength about the uc running through the fuz and in the bottom of the wing

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 15, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:51 PM
Screw what I said! That beautiful mate.... Just what I was doodling in on 'paint', I'll post it for a laugh....
Apr 15, 2016, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Screw what I said! That beautiful mate.... Just what I was doodling in on 'paint', I'll post it for a laugh....

Maybe the wings could be kept quite thin to give it a racy kind of look ... maybe 25 - 30 mm and constant right through, even when the chord gets bigger ... that will make then easier to make

Lockey
Apr 16, 2016, 12:06 AM
Yep, agree totally, I like that term.... Racy look!
Apr 16, 2016, 12:34 AM
Yup, thats about how I see it too Duke .. and YES, your drawing puts mine to shame ...

Anyway mate, you have a Me-262 HG3 to build

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 16, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
Apr 16, 2016, 05:38 AM
Lol....can't be too quick with only one fan....
Apr 16, 2016, 06:13 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
First nice design so far.

Second point of order. You're doing a Reverse-Stagger Biplane. Any bipe with the top wing leading edge that is not directly in line with the lower wing, has, by definition, a staggered wing.

The Beech -17 series got its nick name from a shortening of the actual name. It has a reverse stagger wing. over time, the reverse disappeared from the name but that is where it came from

Keep up the great work
Apr 16, 2016, 06:29 AM
Out Standing In The Field
Lockey, have you dropped development of your "modern stagger wing cabin bipe" design?
It's more in line with what I'm capable to build & fly, and was looking forward to giving it a try.
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
Apr 16, 2016, 06:37 AM
In actual fact Major ... It's a "negative stagger wing bipe" but I think we will just go with stagger wing

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 16, 2016 at 07:02 AM.

Quick Reply