Apr 10, 2016, 09:58 PM
I got lucky and found some early build pics before paint.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2016, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thats right LDF, foam on its own would not be strong enough for the struts, maybe laminated with lite ply in the centre of 2 foam pieces and then the foam shaped to a airfoil profile (or similar)

Now you can see better with these pics

Lockey
Now i see the whole, i like the square better
Apr 10, 2016, 10:12 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Only other bipe I designed and built was the Tiger Moth

Lockey
Apr 10, 2016, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Now i see the whole, i like the square better
Yes I must admit, I do too ... maybe go with my first thoughts and do the square

OK ... thoughts on the wing profile ... flat bottom or semi-symmetrical ? ... mmmmmm ... maybe flat bottom, much easier to make, I would like to try and keep this simple to build

Lockey
Apr 10, 2016, 10:19 PM
Lockey, without knowing the wingspan or your intended purpose for it, I say if leisure flying, go flat
Apr 10, 2016, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Lockey, without knowing the wingspan or your intended purpose for it, I say if leisure flying, go flat
My thoughts exactly LDF... I was thinking 1200 -1300 mm wings span and about 250 mm chord

Seems the only one ever built was the Beechcraft Staggerwing in the early 30s through to the late 40s ... wonder why they changed to the top wing in front ??

Lockey
Apr 10, 2016, 10:54 PM
I'd let the electronics you plan to use dictate the wing size. My red bipe is close to 1400 mm and im using a park 425 sized motor in it with a 2200 3 cell. This set up in weight while really floaty and more lift than the Hindenberg, it can get pushed around a bit by wind. It really didn't have the center mass it needed to not rock around a bit. A 3 axis gyro fixed that though.
Apr 11, 2016, 05:04 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Definitely flat bottom wing. Good to see you have stayed with the square shape... I love the 30's and 40's style but as Rc models, they are "done to death'....... BTW beautiful Tiggys boys!
Lockey -- Did you have a look at a 10deg sweep on the wings?? If you are going "modern" then this might give it a little different look?? If you did and it was not worth posting than thats cool.
What would you say the "under hang"/stagger is mate 17 to 20% ??? I'm wondering what it would look like if the Stagger was stepped out to say 30%???? Would this upset the flying characteristics at all ??

NUTEMAN!! to the rescue!! Mate my ideas have run away from my knowledge.....again.... Please give us some of you Professerizum on this one.
Last edited by Dukejet; Apr 11, 2016 at 05:12 AM.
Apr 11, 2016, 05:34 AM
Looking up some info on Stagger and sweep on Google images, some good reading on other forums with guys asking the same sort of questions...... THEN......
Whoa!! Look what I found!! The Beck Mahoney sorceress!! this is gorgeous!!
https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=....0.snBP0DtrSl0
Looks to have 100% stagger!
Apr 11, 2016, 07:13 AM
Yes I found that one too Duke, its sure is a sexy looking bipe eh

Maybe look at it when this one is done

Not sure about the swept wing mate ??

Lockey
Apr 11, 2016, 07:49 AM
Well I like it, But I'm just me, see what the others say mate. These 2 have a sweep. What the different is, is the Stagger + Sweep...???
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/biplane_small.pdf
http://musclebiplane.org/htmlfile/patriot.htm
Apr 11, 2016, 08:14 AM
Duke, when I design a plane, I also try and make best use and as economically as possible out of Depron size sheets (1000 x 700)

Here is the wing from a Depron sheet ... if I were to do the wings swept, it would use a lot more material ... also bear in mind, this would take 2 sheets for the wings and a sheet for the rest

I think it would be possible to make the wings form HK foam which are the same 1000 x 700 as Depron and the rest of the parts from Depron

Lockey
Apr 11, 2016, 08:20 AM
And he already has the plans drawn up?!!!!??? what the deuce!!!
Apr 11, 2016, 08:21 AM
Oh yeah, sorry bud, something I was not thinking about.
Good Schooling for me
Apr 11, 2016, 08:44 AM
Retired CAD guy
A N D ... I just happen to have a whole box of "unused HK foam " in a box. hmmm
;>}

Quick Reply