Apr 10, 2016, 08:12 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Stagger Wing Bipe

Hi Guys, thinking about designing a Stagger Wing Bipe ... any interest ?

Is so which wing shape do you like the best ?? Square or rounded ?

Look forward to any comments

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 03:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2016, 08:12 PM
Reserved for plans and specs etc

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 07:21 AM.
Apr 10, 2016, 08:56 PM
LOL.. ok you have to stop . already have 3 of your designs on the build list . no don't stop.. myself I like the round wing tips.. may consider also rounding the tail vertical & horizontal give it that 1930's or 40's look..sized with around a 36" WS. for a .25 or .32 motor on 4 cells.. also if you are asking for ideas. the bottom wing about 6 inches shorter than the top .
Apr 10, 2016, 08:57 PM
Destroyer of foamies
Beautiful design as usual Lockey! I'm a sucker for those rounded wing tips. Straight tips on a 30's style Bipe don't quite look the part.

Since Saudi and I posted at the same time... EDIT: Ditto on the rounded tail, but I like the same span top and bottom. I don't care on the motor, when I find time to build it I'll make it a featherweight.
Apr 10, 2016, 09:00 PM
A staggering concept you have there Lockey
Apr 10, 2016, 09:02 PM
I prefer the rounded for era-esque correctness, now if this was a 3D bipe i'd go square
Apr 10, 2016, 09:03 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Lots of interest from me!
I think the rounded wing tip looks a bit better to me, but I know the straight would be easier for me to build.
So either way can work.
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
Apr 10, 2016, 09:16 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
For me its the square.....Maybe because of all the angles in the fuselage? Dunno
What do you think about the wings swept back about 10??
Got me thinking about the warbirds They have that similar sweep to them, like takeing the .....say spitfire and puting the same wing on top to make a bipe???? Just thinking aloud....
" back our regular programming"

Awesome how you can nut these out, in what seems like no time flat!
Apr 10, 2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, the way I am intending doing the wing this time it would be the same on either for ease of building

I thought I would try the way that the FT guys do it .. except it will be a proper Clark Y (ish) profile and not the stepped type

Any preference on the type of material ? Depron ... Foamboard ... Hobby King foam ... Model Plane Foam (MPF)

Because of the cheaper price of the HK foam BUT the softness and weakness ... we are testing some HK foam with paper covering on one side ( the cheap white stuff from the chippy) ... white glue for bonding, so far it looks good, we are going to try brown masking paper next (the type that panel beaters / spray painters use for masking)

My thoughts were that a 30s style would need rounded wings whereas a more modern looking bipe would look better with square wings

Fuz front could always be rounded a bit if needed Duke ... just trying to keep it simple

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 10, 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Apr 10, 2016, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thanks for the comments guys,

My thoughts were that a 30s style would need rounded wings whereas a more modern looking bipe would look better with square wings

Lockey
My thoughts exactly! The first time I seen it was with square everything, I was thinking ,,, modern
Apr 10, 2016, 09:29 PM
Oh btw Lockey, ft boys designed that wing for two reasons as I understand it 1. Ease of build and 2. Washout... so I probably wouldn't fill that tip in....
Apr 10, 2016, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Oh btw Lockey, ft boys designed that wing for two reasons as I understand it 1. Ease of build and 2. Washout... so I probably wouldn't fill that tip in....
Good thinking 99 ... although tapered UP tip would also give some washout

Lockey
Apr 10, 2016, 09:37 PM
A quick note on bipe wing building. i have built a few and an area always of concern are the wing struts. i wouldn't trust any of the foams to support them itself. Is what i do is I reinforce the front and back of the supports with either CF rods or bamboo skewers. I can send a pic of my design if you want.
Apr 10, 2016, 09:40 PM
Indeed, same as the correx slope warbirds tbat "flyingbeagle" designed. Bottom of the wing tip folds up to the top on those. My Mig, Spitfire and Corsair.

Yes please LDF
Apr 10, 2016, 09:48 PM
Thats right LDF, foam on its own would not be strong enough for the struts, maybe laminated with lite ply in the centre of 2 foam pieces and then the foam shaped to a airfoil profile (or similar)

Now you can see better with these pics

Lockey

Quick Reply