Nov 26, 2017, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Here's a pic of rudder and elevators in place. All are currently oversized to allow them to be 'fit' to the fuse.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2017, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Updated pictures showing how the rudder and elevator mount design looks.

For the Rudder, I printed two blocks that are glued into slots in the fuse. The rudder is installed for gluing to ensure proper alignment. The carbon rods slide in nicely with almost no free play. The same blocks were used to align the carbon tubes when I glued them into the rudder.

The elevator has simple pivots. The outside matches the surface from the model.
Nov 26, 2017, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
front and rear sections for the rudder mounts.
Dec 26, 2017, 03:13 AM
That's AWESOME!!! GREAT WORK!!! i can't wait to see the final stage
Jan 20, 2018, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
here are my latest updates from December. Not much time to work on it now.

Rudder and elevators sized and fit (pictures attached)
Servo pockets in rudder completed.
Motor mount completed
Exhaust nozzles and mounts completed
Jan 20, 2018, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
pictures of the motor mount and exhaust cone mount
Jan 20, 2018, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Another pic.

Working from the back of the plane forward.
Need to locate the ESC and make a cover for it.
Last edited by gdimonte; Jan 21, 2018 at 07:53 AM.
Jan 30, 2018, 08:22 PM
Wow. Looks good. Waiting to see your progress. keep it up.
Feb 03, 2018, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
My build is grinding to a halt.
Work, house repairs and motorcycle upgrades are going to be taking up most of my free time for the next 3-4 months.

I did however find a cool fighter pilot 3d model online and printed it up. Itís a fairly detailed bust and would look great in the plane. Iíll post a picture.
Apr 17, 2019, 05:50 AM
Thread OP
Ok, Iím back to building. Started on the wings. Cut the cores. Pictures attached.

Had to cut them in two pieces, my power source couldn't support the length for cutting the wing in one piece. They're kind of rough and need some sanding to clean them up. Will be gluing balsa along the leading and trailing edges.
Last edited by gdimonte; Apr 17, 2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added information
May 03, 2019, 11:44 PM
this is brilliant! its almost exactly whats on my drawing boards at the minute and somewhat answered a bunch of my thoughts on what to with the wing roots/extension up the side of the fuse. looking to seeing the finished build!
May 04, 2019, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
I'm a very slow builder so, you may have to hang around for a while.

There are two small issues I have or may have:

1 - I decided on a thicker wing after I cut the fuse. Now I have to rebuild a section of the fuse so that I can properly transition the fuse to the wing. See the attached ghosted picture and you'll see what I mean. It's just a PIA at this point.

2 - My initial thought was to go with a 6S system but then decided on the 4S that's on my F16 because it works so well.
Now, looking at the size/weight of the plane, I should probably have gone 6S (13-14" prop).
I'm going to maiden with the 4S system and see how it goes. (Scorpion SII 3026-1130kv , 11-7 prop)
I don't doubt that it will fly well, just not sure if I'll get the vertical performance that I like.

I also resolved some issues with my 3d printer and reprinted the top hatch covers and the ESC cover on the bottom. I'll post pictures later.
May 05, 2019, 06:38 PM
out of curiosity what file formats are you working with. all the models i have are stl's which makes thing hard to work with in solidworks
May 06, 2019, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
I'm using Rhino 5.0.

I don't bother with STL files.

I look for base models just to use for sections only. Then I develop the surfaces for my own model. I base my searches on file formats that Rhino can read.
May 06, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
some minor updates.

Re-printed top hatches as single pieced. Much better fit.

Attached picture of printed pilot bust.

Quick Reply