Freewing 80mm Mig-21 Fishbed - RC Groups
Apr 10, 2016, 12:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
New Product

Freewing 80mm Mig-21 Fishbed

Today, the new Freewing 80mm Mig-21 Fishbed made it's public debut at the Pizza Fun Fly Event at Apollo Field in Van Nuys, CA. Several pilots were given the opportunity to test fly the prototype and the pilot feedback and spectator reaction was awesome!

Here's photos taken last weekend to hold you guys over until Alpha posts details. Available soon from Motion RC.

Flight photos by Ken Simmons and Pilot Evelyn.
Last edited by xplaneguy; Apr 10, 2016 at 01:54 AM. Reason: More photos added
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2016, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Today, the new Freewing 80mm Mig-21 Fishbed made it's public debut at the Pizza Fun Fly Event at Apollo Field in Van Nuys, CA. Several pilots were given the opportunity to test fly the prototype and the feedback and spectator reaction was awesome!

Here's photos taken last weekend to hold you guys over until Alpha post the details.

ha ha ... thanks god
I love it :-)

my god this thing is huge ?
what is the length ?

Last edited by flylow2011; Apr 10, 2016 at 01:00 AM.
Apr 10, 2016, 01:11 AM
EB-66C Team Member
My daughter is 5' 1", so my guess is around 65 inches long.
Latest blog entry: Evelyn's first Cox PT-19 flight
Apr 10, 2016, 01:16 AM

I hope the nose is removable so people can fit it in the car easily :-)

and hope for this nice color scheme :-)

any video ?

thx

Last edited by flylow2011; Apr 10, 2016 at 01:35 AM.
Apr 10, 2016, 01:28 AM
EB-66C Team Member
More pics, I'm sure someone will post a video.
Apr 10, 2016, 01:31 AM
Kicking Tires
I'm quite proud of this one. Additional info in the Hobbysquawk thread as usual, and much more to come as April progresses.

Today was the first official day we brought it out in front of the public for others to take a test drive in. We captured some video today but tomorrow we'll capture more since the weather forecast is calling for brighter, drier skies. We've had six people fly her so far. Feedback is very positive, which is very encouraging. Despite its large size, you still need to keep your eye on this bird. It's an arrowhead in the sky, so not recommended for beginners orientation wise, although I think those who have flown it would agree that handling wise the MiG-21 is no harder than an intermediate level plane to fly.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Apr 10, 2016 at 01:37 AM.
Apr 10, 2016, 01:32 AM
its TALON TIME!
That thing is freakin huge....and looks awesome!!!!!
Apr 10, 2016, 01:46 AM
looks great!

that nose - am I right that it appears pretty solid and sturdy (nice against that hangar rash etc), but at the same time, not used as an air intake, so that all the air is entering via cheaters?
Apr 10, 2016, 01:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Line up for a little formation flight.
Apr 10, 2016, 01:53 AM
its TALON TIME!
Super freakin cool. Im not a huge 21 guy, but i do like them. This one looks so good...you might turn me!

Ps..what fw190 is that?
Apr 10, 2016, 01:54 AM
its TALON TIME!
Cool shot tony!
Apr 10, 2016, 01:55 AM
Kicking Tires
The shock cone is plastic, and attaches onto a plastic base which itself attaches to the plastic outer intake wall by four suspended tabs. Translation: the intake is fully functional, and augmented by the cheater.

Brent, your father saw it in person today at our Apollo unveiling event. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get him a flight before he left; with the time available he flew one of my P-38s instead. But next time, both of you come and fly the paint off this MiG.
Apr 10, 2016, 02:06 AM
deltas are cool
Yeah it looks good...need some stick time on it .thanks for the ck flight of the P-38
Apr 10, 2016, 02:30 AM
world's slowest builder
The looks to be a well done Fishbed model and IMO is a really nice addition to the Freewing fleet Alpha. When you said "the naxt plane after the F-14 was going to be more simple"...i figured Mig-15, but the 21 will also work! Very smart going with the larger scale and using the smaller fan. This makes the "packaging" (fitting of fan/batts/landing gear) so much easier. Very impressed and there goes the tax refund

Now just to point out the big red elephant in the room, whats the story with the Mig15 in the picture??? Is that a new freewing, 70mm maybe?
Apr 10, 2016, 02:36 AM
That looks the ARC by Andy Chen 70 mm Mig 15 from eons ago..