Apr 09, 2016, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

18" 1903 Wright Flyer

Well Its been a while, but after building the 1903 flyer from Dare Design about 14 years ago I decided to go with their rubber powered model and turn it into Micro RC.

The RC version of Dare's Wright flyer was phenomenal and I enjoyed MANY relaxing flights with that plane... I actually got to fly it on December 17th 2003 100 years after their amazing achievement. I no longer have that plane and have wanted one for so long. So I bought the same plane in 2 forms... the larger RC version as well as the rubber version.

This build will be the rubber conversion. I will be using a brick from the Champ and http://www.microflight.com/Online-Ca...-Gearbox-5-251 as power.

I will also make my own contra rotating props out of balsa as I remember the VAST improvement in maneuverability with contra props on my 1st model.

Sorry about the poor pictures as have no camera at present and use the phone... I also apologize about the fact that I started to post this 1/2 way through the build... I was not sure about posting this but decided to do it late in the game...

As always, any help is appreciated...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2016, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Well, the build is done, It's a been a while. But I must say this thing flys wonderfully! If anyone is interested please comment bellow and I will fill you in... I just wish I had more battery time... Flight time with absolute authority is just under 1 minute... 160mah lipo.
Oct 03, 2016, 05:22 PM
Or current resident
I'm interested!
Maybe you could connect two 160 batts in parallel?
Oct 07, 2016, 06:36 AM
Thread OP
Here are a couple photos. I carved 1 prop. But I could not carve a 2nd that matched thrust. So I bought a pair of Contra rotating props from a quad copter.

Glewis, I tried a 240mah battery and it was just too heavy. Doubling up on the 160mah would take it way over the top I'm thinking.

I am thinking that my hand carved prop is inefficient and perhaps if I go with the nyon prop I will have more thrust. It does come with a wieght penalty but My be my only option...

That being said It does fly scale... It is very stable (Short distances, slow and level flight for about a minute)...
Oct 07, 2016, 01:53 PM
Or current resident
Is that a prop for a glow engine?
I would suggest the prop from the PZ Vapor. It's a low pitch that should suit the slow flight of your model. This will also drop the motor current significantly and your flight times will improve using the 160 battery. You can paint the props to look scale-ish like I did on my micro Camel.
Oct 07, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
Is that a prop for a glow engine?
I would suggest the prop from the PZ Vapor. It's a low pitch that should suit the slow flight of your model. This will also drop the motor current significantly and your flight times will improve using the 160 battery. You can paint the props to look scale-ish like I did on my micro Camel.
It is an electric prop for a brushless quad. My problem is I need contra-rotating setup. The PZ vapor only has left rotation. Very few props have the right or "clockwise" rotation. The plane will bank over left and tip stall without this. At the very least turning right would be impossible.

I got a 1.5 minute flight today, but am thinking if I can jump up to a 180mha I should get a couple minutes. It's worth a try... Need to orer... (hard to do that way up here in Lapland...
Oct 07, 2016, 05:43 PM
Or current resident
Seems odd. Does it glide straight?
Oct 08, 2016, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Seems odd. Does it glide straight?
Hi Glewis, It's actually not so odd. Many twin engine prop planes use counter rotating props. This reduces the torque that wants to push the plane over and keep it from turning right. (As you may know, almost all planes have a built in down right thrust) This is why... Many twin engine boats do the same to keep the boat from rolling left All quadcopter use the same to my knowledge 2 props clockwise 2 props counter-clockwise, again for torque anti roll issues

The original wright flyer had counter rotating props as well. Useing counter rotating props on a twin engine or even 2 props on a single engine (Contra prop) eliminates the torque issue entirely.

Oh, to answer your question. The plane glides quite straight.

This plane is meant as a novelty and was designed by Pat Trittle as a rubber powered plane to boast a few seconds in flight.. (aka a ceiling hanger)

SO I am on my own sorting the power system.

Bottom line, I need to sort out a Power to weight ratio for the plane... And that may mean swapping props, motor gears, pitch and battery
Oct 08, 2016, 07:45 AM
Or current resident
Yes, I know what the P-factor is....
Actually, not that many twin engine aircraft used counter rotating props.
I used high pitch 4 blade props on my P-61 with both turning in the same direction and it shows no torque reaction yaw. Maybe your high pitch carved props are creating more torque, like a rubber power model prop.
Oct 08, 2016, 09:29 AM
You could always cut down small APC counter rotating props to size, although they're a bit heavy, would require an adapter, and they're not as commonly stocked as the standard rotation props. I'd also be tempted to use a second sub micro ESC with a mix.
Oct 09, 2016, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes, I know what the P-factor is....
Actually, not that many twin engine aircraft used counter rotating props.
I used high pitch 4 blade props on my P-61 with both turning in the same direction and it shows no torque reaction yaw. Maybe your high pitch carved props are creating more torque, like a rubber power model prop.
Hi Glewis!
I have no roll issues the way it is set up now. The fact is I just can't carve a consistent propeller. The balsa hand carved props are AWESOME if you can make them. They weigh almost nothing. And look great. But I do not have the skill to design a specific pitch... it should be low / medium pitch. The high pitch is definitely running the battery down,

The plane flies perfectly just the way it is. I just need more time on the battery... I may get to experiment a bit in the next couple days. Maybe even a video if I can set up a tripod...
Oct 09, 2016, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
You could always cut down small APC counter rotating props to size, although they're a bit heavy, would require an adapter, and they're not as commonly stocked as the standard rotation props. I'd also be tempted to use a second sub micro ESC with a mix.
Hi Anti Arf.
Just wondering, what would be the benefit of the external esc? Adjusting individual voltage outputs?
Oct 09, 2016, 03:40 PM
Or current resident
I have made laminated props from patterns designed by Vintage1.
Here's a thread on them. He designed quite a few different styles.
You could resize to your scale. Maybe use 1/32 wood for the laminations. Would be easier to get a consistant pitch done this way. Just reverse the laminations for left/right rotation.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rs#post6249559
Oct 09, 2016, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-A
Hi Anti Arf.
Just wondering, what would be the benefit of the external esc? Adjusting individual voltage outputs?
The idea would be to have 2 ESCs and use differential thrust, using a mix. Maybe even a bit of a thrust angle could help raise the outboard wing on a turn, with a differential setup.
Oct 10, 2016, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I have made laminated props from patterns designed by Vintage1.
Here's a thread on them. He designed quite a few different styles.
You could resize to your scale. Maybe use 1/32 wood for the laminations. Would be easier to get a consistant pitch done this way. Just reverse the laminations for left/right rotation.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rs#post6249559
WOW! Now that is an awesome thread! I was starting with a rectangle of laminated wood did my measurements, a few cuts and then carved by eye! I have done quite a few props this way but doing anything consistent was near impossible... With this method, just changing the thickness of the balsa sheet will change the pitch! Love it. THANKS! Now to see if I can copy and shrink this down to size!

Quick Reply