Apr 08, 2016, 11:24 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Careful!

Receiver compatability issues with Quanum V2 goggles

For those of you looking to purchase an cheap FPV goggle in the Quanums, you need to be certain that your receiver is compatible with the screen. The Quanums have a poor impedance match on the video side which causes the screen to go blank routinely without regard to signal strength and displays a "Lost Signal" message. Sometimes you get lucky and your camera has a poor impedance match that helps correct it. Below is a list of receivers that work and do not work with the Quanum V2s.

Video receivers that are NOT compatible or have questionable compatability:
TS632 (both 40 and 32 channel)
Boscam RC305
FR632 (works less than 50% of the time)
RC832 (sometimes works, other times does not) - Potential fix seen here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2454828

Receivers that ARE compatible
Quanum 32 channel
Racewood 900MHz/1.3Ghz
"digital" 900Mhz/1.3Ghz/2.4Ghz (works but is spotty at times)
Immersion RC UNO
Immersion RC DUO
Hobby Wireless Iron Horse 3.3GHz

There are many other receivers out there which I have not tested. I have 3 sets of Quanums which all have the same issue here. if you know of a compatibility/incompatibility with these, please post it here so others can be sure they get one that works.

One fix that seems to work ok for some people is to shorten the A/V cables as much as possible. Thus, if you have this issue, you might be able to shorten up your cables and get it working.

-Alex
Last edited by IBCrazy; May 08, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2016, 09:40 AM

Does this problem explains difficulty night flying?

Alex, I've been using the Quanum V2s with the FR-632 diversity receiver. For the most part, I've been very pleased with the combination for daytime flying.

Over the past few days, I've been trying to fly at night for the first time, under parking lot lights. I can see well when I take off - the camera switches to black and white night mode, and things are well lit. But after flying for a few seconds I inevitably get a "no signal" and static, when there's absolutely no reason for a dropout - I could be as few as 15 feet away. It lasts too long for me to fly through, and I've been grounded at night.

When I check DVR footage from a 7" DVR monitor, there's some flicker and noise at the point when I lose signal (multipath interference I'm assuming?), but nothing unreasonable or unflyable.

Is this a symptom of the impedance issue? Or something else entirely?
Last edited by Schtubb; Apr 09, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Apr 10, 2016, 07:44 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Well isn't that just lovely. I was literally just about to buy the 632 and the V2. I do not want to fly on 5.8 without a diversity receiver!

I am getting really frustrated trying to get into FPV. Cameras that take 12v, but transmitters that put out 5v (if that) so require a step up regulator instead of the transmitter putting out 12v, transmitters that put out 1/2 the power they claim, pretty much no goggle but the V2 that will fit glasses underneath and have focal adjustment, but still can't handle bi-focals, difficulty finding a camera or transmitter with a mic, and the list goes on.

Can't imagine where you get the time and energy Alex, but there are an awful lot of people who are in your debt.

I know you have asked people to try and not PM you, so....totally off topic, but I would love if you updated your "How to get started in FPV" series with up to date info as things change and have changed since they were originally done....those videos are great and one of the first things I watched as I'm getting into FPV after about 40 yrs of R/C! I find likely your best quality is that you are very good at being objective in those videos. I am old enough that I want to buy something ONCE, that works and be done with it, and there is no real source to provide that information. You have to cobble together things based on dozens of "opinions" that vary greatly.
Last edited by consumer61; Apr 10, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
Apr 10, 2016, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtubb
Alex, I've been using the Quanum V2s with the FR-632 diversity receiver. For the most part, I've been very pleased with the combination for daytime flying.

Over the past few days, I've been trying to fly at night for the first time, under parking lot lights. I can see well when I take off - the camera switches to black and white night mode, and things are well lit. But after flying for a few seconds I inevitably get a "no signal" and static, when there's absolutely no reason for a dropout - I could be as few as 15 feet away. It lasts too long for me to fly through, and I've been grounded at night.

When I check DVR footage from a 7" DVR monitor, there's some flicker and noise at the point when I lose signal (multipath interference I'm assuming?), but nothing unreasonable or unflyable.

Is this a symptom of the impedance issue? Or something else entirely?
I wonder if the RF from the activated street lights are causing you those problems. I know there are really exotic light systems that could be sending out blocking signals to our equipment at times. Also we(the guys I fly with) have noticed that cell / microwave towers and Wifi setups, do have an affect on our systems, at times, also.
We fly with many different configurations of FPV gear almost every day and all of us get video interference at the same areas of our field. We have learned to somewhat avoid flying that close to those possible towers or known Wifi problem areas. BUT, we have not flown at night, mainly because there are no lights in our flying area.
Apr 11, 2016, 01:57 AM
I've been using an FR632 with my Quanum V2 for a while now - no noticeable issues.
Apr 11, 2016, 06:27 AM
Any one run into problems with RD40 receiver? Just ordered that one along with some quanums. Playing the waiting game now.
Apr 11, 2016, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE0991
Any one run into problems with RD40 receiver? Just ordered that one along with some quanums. Playing the waiting game now.
Let us know, looking at the RD40 myself.
Apr 11, 2016, 01:18 PM
I have 2 sets of Quanum V2s and 1 set of Quanum V1s that I regularly fly with on a rotational basis. Each headset has its own dedicated FR632 permanently attached/assigned to it. Two of the headsets have the FR632s actually permanently soldered to them (I ditched all the RCA and power connectors to save weight).

I've been flying the V1 for over a year now, and the V2s have been working just fine for between 3-5 months each. I bought all my FR632s from Banggood, but at separate times over the period of about a year, so I'm guessing they are probably from different batches. All are the 32 channel version.

The only issue I ever had with a FR632+Quanum combo was traced to a faulty LCD on a V1, which would inexplicably lose video sync momentarily, partially scrambling the image. These were my daily goggles for half a year before this fault surfaced. Thinking it was the FR632 or my 5.8G link, I wired the LCD directly to a HS1177 camera and the image still wigged out. I replaced the LCD with a new one (I had to buy another V1 from HK), and the problem went away.

Maybe I'm fortunate not to have run into any problems, but the combo seems fine for me.
Apr 11, 2016, 01:22 PM
Keep Looking Up
ImmersionRC 5800 UNO and DUO work.
Apr 11, 2016, 01:46 PM
Aomway RX004 dvr 5.8ghz 32ch receiver works fine. Purchased from hobbyking, iirc.

Note: I do get almost a one second blackout when my camera transitions from day to night mode. I don't notice it when transitioning from night to day mode.
Apr 11, 2016, 02:44 PM
I ran the FR632 (40ch) with them as well with no issue.
I did however have a similar issue at first when I attached cables to both RCA connectors coming out of the V2 monitor. I found later they are both video inputs. When you tidy up cables and plug RX audio into the audio colored plug on the V2, it takes it as another video input that will be favored from time to time.
Apr 11, 2016, 08:03 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
I've used the Boscam RC832 with these before and didn't have any issues; so you can add those to the list.
Apr 11, 2016, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbren
I've been using an FR632 with my Quanum V2 for a while now - no noticeable issues.
Has anyone flown this combination *AT NIGHT*? Like, under bright street lights?

I've ordered one of the Quanum receivers to test with, and will report back once I do.
Apr 11, 2016, 10:54 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtubb
Has anyone flown this combination *AT NIGHT*? Like, under bright street lights?

I've ordered one of the Quanum receivers to test with, and will report back once I do.
Totally off topic but...I have been thinking about your streetlight issue. I wonder if you can see what kind of lights they are. High pressure sodium usually have a yellowish tint, metal halide, very white (like inside bestbuy or costco), then of course there are LED now too.

I have 2 sodium yard lights myself, and they have a big transformer that hums, so no doubt puts out RF. I believe metal halide, are essentially HID lights, so may have a ballast (RF again), and LED are a chip with circuitry to drive them, and I bet they put out RF as well. Even flourescent have a ballast and other RF producing things. I also bet due to their normal height and locations, they don't have as strict RF restrictions as other things might have.

Anyway, short story, try and find out what kind of lights they are, then try flying around a different type and see if the same thing happens. Once you have a "type" nailed down, I would pose the question about them to somebody like IBCRAZY - in fact I might pose the question even before you determine the light type.
Apr 12, 2016, 05:24 AM

RC832 not compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
I've used the Boscam RC832 with these before and didn't have any issues; so you can add those to the list.
I have been using an RC832 with my V2s and occasionally the picture goes to "No Signal", even though I have a good signal, flying fairly close in.

I didn't have any problem using the V1 with the same setup, but as soon as I went to the V2s I started having these random drop outs.

Quick Reply