Aug 15, 2004, 08:17 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Thread OP

Kyosho Caliber .30 to E-Caliber Flys

Well, I finally finished this conversion up and got it in the air. It works but I've got some tweaking to do.

Specs;
Hacker B50-10XL Motor/Kontronik heat sink
Kontronick 60-10-24 ESC
24- 3300nimh cells
Ubec

Dual stage gear train= 250t main gear. Running 12t pully for 20.83:1
AUW not quite 8lbs - 555 MAH blades. I think I need to tweak this

So far I'm pretty happy just getting it all to work. I was a little worried the belt would not hold at the rpm the motor is turning. The stock nitro motor turns about 17,000 but this Hacker is up around its limit at 40,000. Sounds awsome with the belt drive. Its very quiet with a much nicer "Electric whine" than you typically hear. I didn't realize rotor blades made so much racket. You can hear eveything they are doing.

On the down side, it takes pretty much full power to fly around so flight time is low. Climb out is sad although the rotor speed stays constant. I'm running +10 on top and thought about adding more pitch. But I'm pretty sure the main problem is I'm overweight for the 555 blades. So before I start changing abunch of things I thought I'd see what you guys think. I've got a longer boom, belt and some 600s but again I like to hear some more experienced comments first.

The temps at the end of the flight were;
Motor- 144deg
ESC- 138deg
Batts- 125deg

I checked the temps after about 2min and they were only few degrees lower so they didn't change much during the flight.

I first started out with 90% govenor but ended up at 100% so I could get some decent climb out. My friend was taching it and said I was turning 2140 but I don't think thats right as I forgot to put a new battery in it. Its most likely a bit lower. It sure didn't sound like 2140.

Here's some pics. Please excuse the ratty canopy. Not knowing what was going to happen I didn't want to use a good one so I used the one off a beater nitro ship. Now that I know it works, I've got a nice lightweight fiberglass one I'll paint up.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Aug 16, 2004 at 04:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2004, 08:22 PM
Hey it looks really nice!!
Aug 15, 2004, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
A couple more closer pics;
Aug 15, 2004, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Here's some detail pics of the motor and mount. You can also see how I cut the top portion off the stock nitro motor mount to make a lower frame brace.

The hardest part was machining the motor mount. As you can see I'm not very good but alot of the problem was my vise that would shift when tightening. I need a new one.

The nicest thing is that besides 4 little holes, there is NO mods needed to the heli frame. In fact, a replacement set of nitro motor mounts and you could convert it back to nitro in an hour or so.
Aug 15, 2004, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Here's some pics showing where I drilled the holes for the motor mount and then with everything mounted up.

Mike
Aug 15, 2004, 08:53 PM
I'm wondering if either your motor isnt strong enough, or your gear ratio is too low, or maybe it's too high, i could never figure that out.

Anyway, you might want to add a few teeth to the pinion. That'll lower your headspeed and give it more torque.

Ash
Aug 15, 2004, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
ashdec87,

Thanks, It's alot of fun. Once I got to thinking about it, I realized that after I managed to hack out an electric motor mount, getting it mounted in the heli would be surprisingly easy. A motor change only takes a few minutes.

Mike
Aug 15, 2004, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87
I'm wondering if either your motor isnt strong enough, or your gear ratio is too low, or maybe it's too high, i could never figure that out.

Anyway, you might want to add a few teeth to the pinion. That'll lower your headspeed and give it more torque.

Ash
Looks like were playing posting tag here .

Adding some teeth would increase my head speed. Which in itself isn't bad but its already high. I think I need more blade and to get the weight down. Li-po batteries are immenient. I also bought an aluminum screw kit and some smaller servos. I'm also going to order some Joker carbon landing gear.

Mike
Aug 15, 2004, 08:58 PM
Oh woops, i ment take out a few teeth. try the new pinion first, it's probably cheaper than a motor.

Ash
Aug 16, 2004, 01:19 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Nice work! That's an awesome transformation. I wish I had the know-how to do something like that. I'd asked about those very batteries about a week ago. Do you have any feedback on them? Also, if you're going to lipos, would you be interested in selling them? I thought an ERappe would be good due to parts availability but I'm just not that knowledgable about this yet and I also don't have the equipment to try something like that. Congratz on your success!
Aug 16, 2004, 03:29 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Nice work, reminds me of the Hawk conversion !!

Nice Kontroniks Heatsink too.

I smell lipos in someones future.
Aug 16, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thread OP

Sometimes your up and sometimes your down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkawboi
Nice work! That's an awesome transformation. I wish I had the know-how to do something like that. I'd asked about those very batteries about a week ago. Do you have any feedback on them? Also, if you're going to lipos, would you be interested in selling them? I thought an ERappe would be good due to parts availability but I'm just not that knowledgable about this yet and I also don't have the equipment to try something like that. Congratz on your success!
txkawboi,
I would have taken you up on the sell offer. But last night after writting this up I went out to get some chow. A stupid idiot that couldn't wait 5sec made a left turn in front of me as I came through an intersection. My vehicle is down for the count and I spent the night in the emergency room. The clincher... He didn't have insurance and I think is a young punk (born 1983) with nothing to sue for. I'm not sure how things are going to iron out so it looks like my hobby spending is on hold for a little while. I'll probably have to buy a new vehicle which sucks because I just paid this one off three months ago.

EDIT: About the cells. They seem to work fine but I've only got two charges on them and nothing to compare to. They're supposed to be pretty good cells though. These are the "VIS-enchanced" version. I do have another set of "pushed" green/orange label GP3300s that I need to solder up. Then I'll have something to compare to.

Mike
Last edited by CryHavoc; Aug 16, 2004 at 01:38 PM.
Aug 16, 2004, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
Nice work, reminds me of the Hawk conversion !!

Nice Kontroniks Heatsink too.

I smell lipos in someones future.
Thanks,

I thought about a Hawk or Raptor conversion or just buying a Logo. I have a Raptor V1 but I'm wanting to get rid of it in favor of the Calibers as I didn't want to have to parts for three different brands of helis. I also have X-Cells.

That Kontroniks was nice surprise. I couldn't find a Hacker heat sink and ran across the Kontronik listing when I was buying the ESC. I thought I had also read about it at one point so I ordered it as well. Its really cool looking and seems to work just fine. Fits the motor like a glove.

As for Li-pos. Looks like its going to be a little longer than I was hoping.

Mike
Aug 16, 2004, 02:05 PM
Garland
txkawboi, check out www.electraflight.com for your rappy conversion. I fly with the owner in ABQ, NM and those Erappies fly sweet!

I like the Ecaliber! what flight times are ya getting in case I missed that. Are caliber parts easy to get?
What headspeed ya runnin?
Last edited by Ghia; Aug 16, 2004 at 02:09 PM.
Aug 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia
I like the Ecaliber! what flight times are ya getting in case I missed that. Are caliber parts easy to get?
What headspeed ya runnin?
I've only got a couple flights and I didn't pay attention to the flight time. They didn't seem too long and with the Nimhs they aren't. I'll time it once I tweak things a bit.

Parts are very easy to get. Towerhobbies and Heliproz both carry a full parts line and there is a new place called rcheliworks.com that sells parts. These are the I-shops I know of. There are probably more. Also, any LHS that deals with Great Planes (don't know many that don't these days) can also get parts.

I need a new battery in my tach to be certain but its around 2000-2100 at 100% governor right now.

Mike

Quick Reply