JYU Hornet S (in construction) - Page 204 - RC Groups
Apr 21, 2017, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerpaul
I have been trying to buy another basic Hornet S from Banggood and it is like pulling teeth!

I have ordered and paid for another Hornet S and asked the question if this was 100% compatible with the Gimbal. They replied yes but said it would only fly for 6-8 minutes!!

I don't think this is the latest version of the Hornet S, I thought flight times after the Mod or on the latest incarnation of the Hornet S had much longer flight times than this. Am I mistaken or is it yet again Banggood trying to shift old stock to their existing customers?

What flight times are you guys getting after the mod if you could let me know please.

Also what flight times do people get after buying one of the latest Hornet S quads?

Finally I am this weekend going to mod my original Hornet S but the photos of the Mod I find a little vague. Can someone point me in the right direction of the best photos and description of this mod so I dont with my fat fingers make things worse :-)

Thanks guys in anticipation.

I will let you know what Banggood come up with in the end.

Paul

OK just an update......

Bangood cancelled my order and has started a full refund of the 2nd Hornet S order.

I said I would continue with the order if they would pick up the return costs if the new hornet S would not work with the gimbal correctly.

They then cancelled the order!! Says it all doesn't it?

I have now asked for a full refund of my original faulty Hornet S so lets see where this gets me!

Don't touch these with a bargepole is my response. Plenty of other similar companies, Hobby King, GearBest, TomTop and others.

I certainly am so so disappointed, no more orders to BangGood from me thats for sure.

Paul
Hi Paul,
Just to let you know. From what I've read about the Hornet, there seems to be this limitation (which I think was pointed in the manual as well) that with Gimbal you would only get 8minutes flight time(which sounds horrible if you ask me, as i didn't know before i ordered mine)
but it's the best you can get for a modular drone, which I find hard to look for something different than this.

About Banggood service.
I've crashed my drone, if you see my comment few posts above yours, and am in constant communication with banggood for replacements. they are doing aweful job, But I think I figured them out a little.

First, they are so aweful in English, I assume they use some translation software to talk to customers. which explains why they aren't getting what you're saying and vice versa.
Second, Insist, that's the name of the game, keep talking to them and ask for what you want, they may play dumb\not give up refunding well etc. but eventually if you insist you will get what you've asked. I got my orders refunded + a new motor shipped (hopefully they would do it expedited as asked. otherwise i'll have to insist some more.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin
a short in the motor windings, here's a link a video shows measuring inductance of brushless motor. does your esc show any visible burn mark?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YO1IbQQ1w4
Thanks a lot man! I've tried to look it up, couldn't find any burn marks on the ESC, (I wanted to reply much sooner, but got delayed because.. LIFE) so anyways, i took it down to an electronic store to get help with soldering by someone with more experience than me. He did a perfect job, still didn't work, ESC's didn't look burnt but they were partially covered with the yellow stuff that covers the soldering points on the board.
the next thing the guy noticed. is that the motor is more stiff than the others. so we are pretty much solid on believing its a faulty replacement.
Waiting for another replacement to arrive. hopefully it'll be better.

Thanks again
And headsup.
a JYU facebook group closed down due the admin who said he has 3 hornets, and JYU simply don't respond anymore to emails and support it. (I actually ran into a complete silent from about 3-5 emails I sent them. I fear he has a valid point and it might be good to start looking elsewhere instead of investing more into this one.
Anyone that can provide me more info about JYU or how to reach them better. I would be really happy to hear back.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2017, 11:55 AM
Just curious, anyone can sell me maybe a battery or 2 for the JYU?

Thanks!
Apr 23, 2017, 11:24 AM
Update about the drone
Looks like the logic board where the ESC's are for the bottom right wing have been slightly broken or doesn't have proper connection. anyone has any idea how to repair it or deal with it? would adding something small while closing the case to create pressure be enough?

Thanks
Apr 24, 2017, 12:20 PM
So, Another update.
Flew it for 10 minutes according to the controller, but red lights came up saying Battery1 is low on power, kinda weird when it looked like I had 11.20v left and only 3 bars were shining on the back of the battery. (it just came back home and landed. no idea why.)
I need new batteries. if anyone care to selll me 2 or so, I'd love to hear from you guys.
Apr 24, 2017, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avielc
So, Another update.
Flew it for 10 minutes according to the controller, but red lights came up saying Battery1 is low on power, kinda weird when it looked like I had 11.20v left and only 3 bars were shining on the back of the battery. (it just came back home and landed. no idea why.)
I need new batteries. if anyone care to selll me 2 or so, I'd love to hear from you guys.
good luck with the replacement motor, the low battery warning (A level warning in the JYU interface) will activate rth if low power auto return is selected if i'm understanding correctly. (you should still have control within the 10m high x 15m radius area) haven't tested this myself.

from samste's post# 411:
"By the way in version 7.5
In mode 1 and mode 2
If battery low power, it will fly back to home point(the first place find GPS) automaticly, can not fly higher than 10m and 15m far from the home point."

see also:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=369
Apr 25, 2017, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenahelin
good luck with the replacement motor, the low battery warning (A level warning in the JYU interface) will activate rth if low power auto return is selected if i'm understanding correctly. (you should still have control within the 10m high x 15m radius area) haven't tested this myself.

from samste's post# 411:
"By the way in version 7.5
In mode 1 and mode 2
If battery low power, it will fly back to home point(the first place find GPS) automaticly, can not fly higher than 10m and 15m far from the home point."

see also:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=369
So Motor is holding up in those 10 minutes flight. which means though the board is a mess (and I don't want to mess with it anymore) that pressure I added inside the case holds it well.
Hornet app is set for 5% for auto return, so I don't know why it returned so soon.
Current version is 7.7, and like I said Battery is at 75% or so at least, so it didn't make any sense.
Could be that there is something that chokes power in the drone? (like that circuit issue?)

in any case, will try to fly it today and see how it goes.
And now, more than ever I really need a buddy overseas that can sell me a battery or 2.
Thank you for replying adrenahelin and Thanks everyone.
Apr 25, 2017, 03:08 AM
Quote:
So Motor is holding up in those 10 minutes flight. which means though the board is a mess (and I don't want to mess with it anymore) that pressure I added inside the case holds it well.
Hornet app is set for 5% for auto return, so I don't know why it returned so soon.
Current version is 7.7, and like I said Battery is at 75% or so at least, so it didn't make any sense.
Could be that there is something that chokes power in the drone? (like that circuit issue?)

in any case, will try to fly it today and see how it goes.
And now, more than ever I really need a buddy overseas that can sell me a battery or 2.
Thank you for replying adrenahelin and Thanks everyone.
Hi,

You have battery on Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...6-b424923c5cee

and on banggood
https://www.banggood.com/JYU-Hornet-...l?rmmds=search

Regarding battery statistic, the LED lights on the back of the battery never showed real capacity in my case. It showed always more power that there actually was in the battery.
Also 3 LED means battery power is at 50-75%, not 75%
2 LED means 25-50%

Also you have battery warning one and two, so maybe you've received only battery level warning one, not two.
Apr 25, 2017, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshRC
Hi,

You have battery on Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...6-b424923c5cee

and on banggood
https://www.banggood.com/JYU-Hornet-...l?rmmds=search

Regarding battery statistic, the LED lights on the back of the battery never showed real capacity in my case. It showed always more power that there actually was in the battery.
Also 3 LED means battery power is at 50-75%, not 75%
2 LED means 25-50%

Also you have battery warning one and two, so maybe you've received only battery level warning one, not two.
Thanks for the reply buddy,
Unfortunately Ali and Banggood don't want to ship batteries over to my country.
About the warning, I got "Low battery1" message flashing on the FPV screen while the drone had its back lights flashing and doing an auto return to home flight.
I had 3 lights at first and then it went down to 2 when I tried to fly after restarting the battery. Perhaps the controller had a weak battery? (Left it on a recharge till the light went green, took about 2 hours or so)

Wanted to test again, came back too late.

So about buying batteries, I need someone to be able to ship them to me from overseas. just a pen pal for the rescue :-)
Thanks everyone!
Apr 25, 2017, 05:58 PM
Komrad help solve the problem. The bottom line is this. Bought Hornet launches itself once a result, he fell from a height of 3 meters. 1 blade is broken. I decided to first ask and then fly. as a result no longer included after the firmware calibration mode at all. panel sees it, switch diodes, but it is impossible to start the calibration mode. Can anyone encountered this problem help.
Sorry fo this gogle translate)
Apr 25, 2017, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallallala
Komrad help solve the problem. The bottom line is this. Bought Hornet launches itself once a result, he fell from a height of 3 meters. 1 blade is broken. I decided to first ask and then fly. as a result no longer included after the firmware calibration mode at all. panel sees it, switch diodes, but it is impossible to start the calibration mode. Can anyone encountered this problem help.
Afraid google translate did a terrible job on your translation buddy.

drone fell from 3 meters - ok.
1 blade broken - ok
the rest I don't understand.
Calibration and firmware are 2 different things.
to upgrade the hornet firmware you open the application, connect the cable, and only after you turn on the drone (hornet)
calibration is only good for remote control, just plug it to the computer (micro usb to usb) turn it on, press connect, wait for red flashing lights to change to green flashing lights, then, you move all the sticks and side dials (the little wheel on the side of the controller (remote controller).
move the sticks one by one, and move it to the maximum they can 100% up, down, left, right.
calibration is done with the controller lights stop flashing.

did you check the motor is still turning around good? no bad motor spin? (all motors should spin the same)
Apr 25, 2017, 06:53 PM
Quote:
are you able to connect to the JYU interface? select the correct com port, progress bar will sweep along the bottom of screen when you connect. there is a calibration button on the bottom right, level the copter and click on calibrate. you may need newer software for the calibrate option.

JYU Hornet S - Firmware Upload, Calibration Procedure, and Parameter Update Instructional Video (8 min 23 sec)
Apr 26, 2017, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Afraid google translate did a terrible job on your translation buddy.

drone fell from 3 meters - ok.
1 blade broken - ok
the rest I don't understand.
Calibration and firmware are 2 different things.
to upgrade the hornet firmware you open the application, connect the cable, and only after you turn on the drone (hornet)
calibration is only good for remote control, just plug it to the computer (micro usb to usb) turn it on, press connect, wait for red flashing lights to change to green flashing lights, then, you move all the sticks and side dials (the little wheel on the side of the controller (remote controller).
move the sticks one by one, and move it to the maximum they can 100% up, down, left, right.
calibration is done with the controller lights stop flashing.

did you check the motor is still turning around good? no bad motor spin? (all motors should spin the same)
Sorry again. Now I try without google. I did all this operations (the newest upgrade of RC and Hornet). But us the result when i what fly i must do what?
I must push the left control-stick all the way to the left and the bottom and the right control-stick all the way to the left and the top. then the diods on hornet must start flashing red ( This does not happen!!!) When hornet Fall oll

10. How do I calibrate the compass of my Hornet S? I have problem with this!
The compass is a very important measurement-tool. It is used to calculate your Hornet S's position, compared to the earth's magnetic field at you location. You can't do these calibrations to many times and it you feel your Hornet S seems to be wanting to fly in circles in stead of hoovering in place, you should redo this calibration.
Step 1: Find a spot in your garden or neighborhood where you know are as little electrical cables, metal objects and other magnetic objects and machines as possible.
Step 2: Turn on your Hornet S by first pushing the button shortly, letting go and than pushing and holding the button for 2 seconds. The 4 LED's of the battery will flicker when the Hornet S is turned on.
Step 3: Switch on your transmitter.
Step 4: Push the left control-stick all the way to the left and the bottom and the right control-stick all the way to the left and the top. All 4 LED's of the Hornet S will flash red to indicate compass-calibration mode. This does not happen
Step 5: Pick up your Hornet S and keep it between your hands. It's nose pointing to the floor, it's belly in your left hand, it's the back in your right hand.
Step 6: While yourself making a counterclockwise pirouette turn the Hornet S clockwise in your hands. (the side closest to your face, moving away from you). The speed doesn't really matter.
Step 7: Keep making those pirouettes until the red flashing LED's start flashing yellow, change to flashing green and eventually turn solid green.
Step 8: Turn off your Hornet S.
Step 9: Turn on you Hornet S again to save the compass-calibration.
You are now officially ready to fly.

please sorry i try explain as i can. Thanks for you help
Apr 26, 2017, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Sorry again. Now I try without google. I did all this operations (the newest upgrade of RC and Hornet). But us the result when i what fly i must do what?
I must push the left control-stick all the way to the left and the bottom and the right control-stick all the way to the left and the top. then the diods on hornet must start flashing red ( This does not happen!!!) When hornet Fall oll

The compass is a very important measurement-tool. It is used to calculate your Hornet S's position, compared to the earth's magnetic field at you location. You can't do these calibrations to many times and it you feel your Hornet S seems to be wanting to fly in circles in stead of hoovering in place, you should redo this calibration.
Step 1: Find a spot in your garden or neighborhood where you know are as little electrical cables, metal objects and other magnetic objects and machines as possible.
Step 2: Turn on your Hornet S by first pushing the button shortly, letting go and than pushing and holding the button for 2 seconds. The 4 LED's of the battery will flicker when the Hornet S is turned on.
Step 4: Push the left control-stick all the way to the left and the bottom and the right control-stick all the way to the left and the top. All 4 LED's of the Hornet S will flash red to indicate compass-calibration mode. This does not happen
Step 5: Pick up your Hornet S and keep it between your hands. It's nose pointing to the floor, it's belly in your left hand, it's the back in your right hand.
Step 6: While yourself making a counterclockwise pirouette turn the Hornet S clockwise in your hands. (the side closest to your face, moving away from you). The speed doesn't really matter.
Step 7: Keep making those pirouettes until the red flashing LED's start flashing yellow, change to flashing green and eventually turn solid green.

This is really strange, staps are correct and I am doing it as described without any issue.
Maybe if you could film yourself doing calibration, maybe we will see if you are doing something wrong
Apr 26, 2017, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the reply buddy,
Unfortunately Ali and Banggood don't want to ship batteries over to my country.
About the warning, I got "Low battery1" message flashing on the FPV screen while the drone had its back lights flashing and doing an auto return to home flight.
I had 3 lights at first and then it went down to 2 when I tried to fly after restarting the battery. Perhaps the controller had a weak battery? (Left it on a recharge till the light went green, took about 2 hours or so)

Wanted to test again, came back too late.

So about buying batteries, I need someone to be able to ship them to me from overseas. just a pen pal for the rescue :-)
Thanks everyone!
Oh yes, I forgot that they are not shipping batteries anymore to some countries (mine included)
When I was ordering additional battery it was a lot cheaper and they send it to me without any issue.
Now they don't ship batteries any more :-/ so I need to order from Hobyking and pay for shipping fees almost 20USD
But you have no luck as HobyKing doesn't hold JYU batteries.
So maybe your only option is to do a battery mod, I am preparing to do it also one of these days when I find some time.
As I am now building my own drones and it's better solution that this one
But this one is really nice and I still love to fly it with FPV in 100m radius
Apr 26, 2017, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshRC
Oh yes, I forgot that they are not shipping batteries anymore to some countries (mine included)
When I was ordering additional battery it was a lot cheaper and they send it to me without any issue.
Now they don't ship batteries any more :-/ so I need to order from Hobyking and pay for shipping fees almost 20USD
But you have no luck as HobyKing doesn't hold JYU batteries.
So maybe your only option is to do a battery mod, I am preparing to do it also one of these days when I find some time.
As I am now building my own drones and it's better solution that this one
But this one is really nice and I still love to fly it with FPV in 100m radius
My battery seems to die after 10 minutes flight time.
To be more precise, After 10 minutes or so, all lights flash red and it flies back home and lands (auto RTH is activated through the app.)
battery volt is at 11.00~V which is plenty juice. So I don't understand.
I can think of two options for this, but anyone's experience will be helpful:
1. putting 5% on battery critical on the app means instead of having 5% left, its having 5% used. (which kinda makes sense)
2. Battery is screwed and I have wasted over 600$ for a 10 minutes GPS drone.

Quote:

Excellent explaining!
Ok, so Hornet Calibration not working at all.
I can think maybe, just maybe you have the controls upside down (it's an option)
connect the controller to the PC- Application.
Use US method not Japanese method. so left stick is going up and down and turning drone around.
Right stick side steps and forward and back
after you calibrate it, try doing the hornet calibration again. Use open space, like park or field.

another thing, is maybe hornet isn't bound to the controller anymore? (look for how to bind remote controller to remote)

and a video will help - try that, if its still not working for you, maybe we can see what's wrong like this
Remember
Left stick down-left (down-right unlocks the motors)
right stick up-left (yes, the same way like left stick, but only up instead of down)

If you need anything else, feel free, i'm learning the drone just like you