Apr 08, 2016, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Cool

Parrot Bebop Thread (Problems, videos and thoughts)

Hi all,

Although this started out as a thread where I could share my Bebop videos, it grown to be much more then that. And since there's no Bebop Thread here on RCGroups, then hopefully this will become one.

I've been using my Bebop 2 lately, and here's a little footage from its camera. I'm still cautions and don't won't to fly too far but I will be more adventurous in future flights.

Here it is:
A short aerial tour of Suburban Melbourne - Bebop 2 (1 min 19 sec)

High speed flying:
High Speed Flying - Bebop 2 (4 min 12 sec)

Practicing my Pans:
Trees, Pans, Crashes and Melbourne - Bebop 2 (4 min 37 sec)

High Speed Flying over Caulfield and Victory Park, Melbourne. I was flying using the WiFi FPV so turns aren't as sharp, the lack of a real transmitter doesn't help either. I was a little disappointed by its top speed, only 60km/h. I felt that it fly even slower in the video. Never the less I did get some good footage. I do have a strange problem with the battery though, although the charger goes green the capacity is only at 20%, giving me just 5 minutes of flight time. Is there a solution to this problem, or do I have you purchase anther battery?

Melbourne's beachs from the sky:
Melbourne's beaches from the Sky - Bebop 2 (2 min 9 sec)

Raw footage - Bebop 2 (0 min 45 sec)

Raw Footage - Bebop 2. Since the Bebop 2 doesn't have a gimbal, Parrot decided to stabilize footage via software. As you can see that software is usually taken to if not beyond its limits.
Last edited by DroneRequired; May 14, 2016 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Another Video
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2016, 05:42 AM
Fear only fear in life
Quick tip, slow down the yaw movement
Apr 08, 2016, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiederikHarkema
Quick tip, slow down the yaw movement
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm still getting comfortable with using an iPad as a transmitter, but I believe I can adjust that in settings.
Apr 09, 2016, 03:06 AM
Fear only fear in life
In all seriousness, I know peolpe fly with I pads but if you were to give me an Ipad to fly with I am sure I will destroy whatever I am flying with. I need to feel the sticks. in all fairness, If my Samsung Note 3 had buttons for the keys I would be really happy, I like touch but only for navigating
Apr 09, 2016, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
In all seriousness, I know peolpe fly with I pads but if you were to give me an Ipad to fly with I am sure I will destroy whatever I am flying with. I need to feel the sticks. in all fairness, If my Samsung Note 3 had buttons for the keys I would be really happy, I like touch but only for navigating
I have to agree, it isn't preferable. But you actually get used to it quite quickly, I'm never as comfortable flying with an iPad than with a real TX but Parrot did do a good job of substituting it. With that said it seems like a sales gimmick, because the sky Controller adds 300-400 USD and is the only way to fly with a TX.
Apr 09, 2016, 06:11 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
I second that motion. Gestures cause me all sorts of grief. Never know where I will end up.

The video is quite good. I agree on the yaw, made me dizzy!

I have to say I really like the SkyController, unlike some people who think it is too big, it is just right for me. Just have to shop, I got my whole bebop and skycontroller for $350.

I think the Parrot engineers were really thinking outside the box with their software gimbal. It works very well.
Latest blog entry: UC4H: Gimbal flight test
Apr 09, 2016, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
I second that motion. Gestures cause me all sorts of grief. Never know where I will end up.

The video is quite good. I agree on the yaw, made me dizzy!

I have to say I really like the SkyController, unlike some people who think it is too big, it is just right for me. Just have to shop, I got my whole bebop and skycontroller for $350.

I think the Parrot engineers were really thinking outside the box with their software gimbal. It works very well.
Thank you on the comments for the video. As I said I'm still getting used to all the features, options and fisheye lens.

I agree with your comments on the sky controller, it's perfect for me too. I love the feel and the size, ideal.

Where did you purachse your Bebop & SkyController combo? EBay?
Apr 09, 2016, 08:58 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneRequired
Thank you on the comments for the video. As I said I'm still getting used to all the features, options and fisheye lens.

I agree with your comments on the sky controller, it's perfect for me too. I love the feel and the size, ideal.

Where did you purachse your Bebop & SkyController combo? EBay?
Yes mine is a v1, watched for the change over to V2.
Apr 09, 2016, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
I've added another video.
Apr 09, 2016, 11:05 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
I've added another video.
Better but now that you are playing with video think about how Hollywood movies are done. Watch one with an eye towards how it was filmed. The pans are really slow so people don't get sick. Unless they are after hard-edge gritty.

Notice that later with the lower light and the long shadows it is more interesting.

Last please don't fly over people. Even though the Bebop is small and the plastic blades are not liable to hurt anyone like a big Octo with 17" carbon blades it could still poke and eye out. It is something all of us should avoid. No one wants to have to say sorry to a high school soccer player that loses the use of one eye.

Cheers
Apr 10, 2016, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Better but now that you are playing with video think about how Hollywood movies are done. Watch one with an eye towards how it was filmed. The pans are really slow so people don't get sick. Unless they are after hard-edge gritty.

Notice that later with the lower light and the long shadows it is more interesting.

Last please don't fly over people. Even though the Bebop is small and the plastic blades are not liable to hurt anyone like a big Octo with 17" carbon blades it could still poke and eye out. It is something all of us should avoid. No one wants to have to say sorry to a high school soccer player that loses the use of one eye.

Cheers
Thank you for your tips. I'll adujst the yaw rate.

I'll also avoid flying over people too. I understand that's dangerous, but I find it unlikely to hurt anybody if the Bebop is 50metres above them. But then there's the reputation if drones as a whole, and I don't want to be the guy who wrecks it for everybody. I guess I will just have to change my ways.
Apr 10, 2016, 08:32 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Thank you for your tips. I'll adujst the yaw rate.

I'll also avoid flying over people too. I understand that's dangerous, but I find it unlikely to hurt anybody if the Bebop is 50metres above them. But then there's the reputation if drones as a whole, and I don't want to be the guy who wrecks it for everybody. I guess I will just have to change my ways.
Thanks for your consideration. Quads do fall out of the sky for a variety of reasons, that is what I was thinking about.

Look forward to your next video!
Apr 11, 2016, 04:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for your consideration. Quads do fall out of the sky for a variety of reasons, that is what I was thinking about.

Look forward to your next video!
No problem. I've actually amounted quite a few questions to ask, and since there's no offical Bebop 2 thread, I'll post them here.

Is there a way to calibrate the OSD? My distance from transmitter always goes nuts, displaying crazy figures.

Is it possible to 'focus' the camera when moving. I notice wavy lines and blurry video when the Bebop is moving.

Does the WiFi FPV range increase along with the range on the sky controller? I dream of flying 1 km away and having perfect signal, but that's useless if the FPV connection is cut.

Can you set 2 seperate yaw rates? One for panning and one for flight.

Well that's all of it. Maybe you'll be able to answer a couple?

BTW I've been practising my panning, video looks a lot better. I'll post another one in a few days.

DR.
Apr 11, 2016, 08:22 AM
Wisconsin
No problem. I've actually amounted quite a few questions to ask, and since there's no offical Bebop 2 thread, I'll post them here.

Is there a way to calibrate the OSD? My distance from transmitter always goes nuts, displaying crazy figures.
* The OSD just displays info provided by the Flight Controller. The location data is provided by the GPS. Are you flying in a place where it can't see the satellites. Like behind a mountain or tall city buildings? Or possibily near a strong radio transmission tower?

Is it possible to 'focus' the camera when moving. I notice wavy lines and blurry video when the Bebop is moving.
* I think that is the software image stabilization in action so I don't think there is a way to change it.

Does the WiFi FPV range increase along with the range on the sky controller? I dream of flying 1 km away and having perfect signal, but that's useless if the FPV connection is cut.
* Yes the Video and RC Control both are broadcast on the same Radio transmitter. The SkyController has big antennas that add to the distance possible.

Can you set 2 seperate yaw rates? One for panning and one for flight.
* Don't know.

Well that's all of it. Maybe you'll be able to answer a couple?

BTW I've been practising my panning, video looks a lot better. I'll post another one in a few days
*When you pan manually with a camera in your had in order to get good video it seems to take forever to do the pan slow enough but when you watch it, it looks good.
Apr 11, 2016, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Wow, thanks. (That must have taken a little while to write)

Quick Reply