Mini Pixhawks compared - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 07, 2016, 05:28 PM
Wisconsin
Discussion

Mini Pixhawks compared

Comparison attached as PDF at end, Compare_minis_3.pdf

02/17/17 added zip file with original spreadsheet and corrections for MicroPix.

It is very exciting to be at the beginning of a new technology. It is a time of great growth and new ideas but also a time of chaos.

I found myself needing to substitute one mini Pixhawk variation for another, in a finished build and started to check the pinouts of the similar connectors. I was surprised to find how different and impossible it was to substitute one for the other. I decided to survey the mini Pixhawk field and see just how different the cabling is between them, compared to the Gold standard of the original Pixhawk designed by Lorenz Meier (Pixhawk.org).

I found out why it is so hard to simply get a GPS connected to a mini Pixhawk.

The industry desperately needs a 500lb Gorilla to come into the field and force everyone to conform to a standard so we can get rid of the ridiculous chaos.

I should make a comment about connectors here. The original Pixhawk used DF13 connectors and they have what I describe as a square hole as opposed to the similar Molex Picoblade which has slot like holes. The two can be interchanged but it is not a perfect fit. The last and most commonly used in the mini Pixhawk field is the JST-SH 1.0. It is noticeably smaller than the other two.

From left to right, the JST-SH 1.0, the Molex Picoblade, then the DF13.

The attached spreadsheet (very bottom under Files), in PDF format, compares the:
Pixhawk
Pixhawk Lite
Airbot PX4miniAIO (also sold by Ready to Fly Quads as the mini PX4)
PixFalcon by Holybro
MicroPix
PixRacer by AUAV (Note - only supports 6 motor outputs)

If you find any errors PLEASE let me know so I can fix it.
Last edited by mike_kelly; Feb 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2016, 06:40 PM
Thank you!!
Once I get Pix Hawk Micro Race (Micro Pix) I'll try to provide you the connectors info to update the doc. if you google sheets you can publish it as an excel document that behaves likes such.

Edited.
Sorry I just notice that you already have the micro pix.
Is there a thread related to it other than https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?t=2625225?
Apr 07, 2016, 08:22 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanza
Thank you!!
Once I get Pix Hawk Micro Race (Micro Pix) I'll try to provide you the connectors info to update the doc. if you google sheets you can publish it as an excel document that behaves likes such.

Edited.
Sorry I just notice that you already have the micro pix.
Is there a thread related to it other than https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?t=2625225?
Not that I have found. Too new. We need to add some first hand experience. Too bad that thread got highjacked off track. Might start a new one here.
Latest blog entry: Index to Articles
Apr 07, 2016, 08:43 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Excellent work Mike.

Well done..

Cliff
Apr 07, 2016, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Not that I have found. Too new. We need to add some first hand experience. Too bad that thread got highjacked off track. Might start a new one here.
I also found this one for the micro pix https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2630768
Apr 07, 2016, 10:26 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
I also found this one for the micro pix https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2630768
That looks like a better start for a support forum because there is no confusion with the PX4miniAIO which is very different.
Apr 16, 2016, 10:38 AM
Mike,

I've been searching for a good US-based source of extra leads/cables for my PixFalcon as I add sensors, graft minimOSD with telemetry, etc., and based on your info above that I'm looking for Micro JST-SH 1.0, the only US-based source I could find is here . BTW, this shop is in Chicago, not so far from you. Note the wires are 26AWG, which is substantially heavier than the cable sets that came with my PixFalcon, which I believe to be 32AWG.

Have you found any good sources of PixFalcon leads? Good being defined as range of pin configurations, fast shipment, and quality product. I assume the HobbyKing JST 1.0 (Molex) is NOT the same, and won't work on PixFalcon ports?

Apologies in advance, I am going to post this on PixFalcon thread as well.

Kelly
Apr 16, 2016, 11:14 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025
Mike,

I've been searching for a good US-based source of extra leads/cables for my PixFalcon as I add sensors, graft minimOSD with telemetry, etc., and based on your info above that I'm looking for Micro JST-SH 1.0, the only US-based source I could find is here . BTW, this shop is in Chicago, not so far from you. Note the wires are 26AWG, which is substantially heavier than the cable sets that came with my PixFalcon, which I believe to be 32AWG.

Have you found any good sources of PixFalcon leads? Good being defined as range of pin configurations, fast shipment, and quality product. I assume the HobbyKing JST 1.0 (Molex) is NOT the same, and won't work on PixFalcon ports?

Apologies in advance, I am going to post this on PixFalcon thread as well.

Kelly
Readytoflyquads.com has build-a-cable kits. You get wires with pre-crimped terminals and then you choose what style and count for the connectors. It is the easiest way to make a custom cable I have found.
Apr 19, 2016, 10:01 PM
9W2DLR
which one to choose? I'm leaning to Micro Pix as it have buzzer but seem Pix Lite have smaller footprint and used normal servo connector
Apr 19, 2016, 10:20 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
which one to choose? I'm leaning to Micro Pix as it have buzzer but seem Pix Lite have smaller footprint and used normal servo connector
Pixhawk Lite has the benefit of a lot of users and for the most part, if you scan through the thread, after you translate their pitiful documentation most people seem to get them to fly ok. The micro Pix is interesting but brand new and not much in the thread yet. The PHL has a bigger footprint than the microPix. As you say the micro Pix has a buzzer but not all the ports as the PHL has. Depends on what you need.
Apr 20, 2016, 05:22 AM
9W2DLR
with getting the set pixhawk lite is cheaper i guess just the board + switch + GLONASS gps + mini minimosd topped only $90 just need to get the switch else where banggood does not seem to sell the switch
Apr 20, 2016, 08:35 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
with getting the set pixhawk lite is cheaper i guess just the board + switch + GLONASS gps + mini minimosd topped only $90 just need to get the switch else where banggood does not seem to sell the switch
If you want a set, take a look a the pixFalcon as another possibility. The company sells a set of parts designed to work together, which has advantages. But like most mini's they eliminate some features to fit in the small form factor.

I attached their flyer to this thread in the files under the pictures on the first post.
Apr 20, 2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:
The attached spreadsheet (very bottom under Files), in PDF format, compares the:
Pixhawk
Pixhawk Lite
Airbot PX4miniAIO (also sold by Ready to Fly Quads as the mini PX4)
PixFalcon by Holybro
MicroPix
PixRacer by AUAV (Note - only supports 6 motor outputs)
Mike, would you be so kind to attach the excel sheet or send it to me in PM.
Thank you.
Apr 20, 2016, 01:31 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Mike, would you be so kind to attach the excel sheet or send it to me in PM.
Thank you.
RCG won't let me attach a spreadsheet but I'll try via PM.
Apr 20, 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote:
RCG won't let me attach a spreadsheet but I'll try via PM.
You could upload the spreadsheet to Google Docs, then link here.

Google Docs also has robust sharing, allowing others to update/add data, while the owner retains full revision control.