May 05, 2021, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_D
Hello all, I'm sorry if this has been covered and I didn't find it - maybe I'm just not searching with the right keywords.
Anyway, I am building a little quad, Mamba stack F40 MK2.
Originally, I was getting the beeping when I plugged in my lipo but was working on getting my receiver to work (turns out I was using a fried receiver - worked fine when I tried a new one and bound to it.)
Anyway, now I'm trying to use BLHeli Suite (not _32 - documentation says the ESC's are BlHeli S) and now I'm not getting any beeping when I plug the lipo in, and, BLHeli Suite (16.7.14.9.0.2) gives me:
Found Multiple ESC configuration in SiLabs mode:
ESC#1: ---
ESC#2:---
ESC#3:---
ESC#4:---

After I click on ok for that it says:
Warning
Serial Interface "m4wFCIntf" connected successfully.
Connection to ESC#1 failed!
Please check data - und power-connections to the ESC!

This is with the lipo connected.

From what I've read and watched on youtube it looks like I just need to do an initial flash on the board but I can't find out how to do that..

Help, I've been trying to build this thing for at least a week! Going nuts!
Are you sure motors escs and fc is properly connected and powered?
Did you flash the escs at some point to make them stop beeping?
If the escs no longer have the blheli bootloader you need to flash using C2, but itís not necessarily straightforward.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2021, 03:08 PM
Cx20,solo,x5c,ladybird,pi xh
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamashi
Are you sure motors escs and fc is properly connected and powered?
Did you flash the escs at some point to make them stop beeping?
If the escs no longer have the blheli bootloader you need to flash using C2, but itís not necessarily straightforward.
I must have flashed the escs - but not on purpose - I'm new at this end of things.. How do I use C2 (and what is it?)
May 05, 2021, 07:42 PM
Quote:
I must have flashed the escs - but not on purpose - I'm new at this end of things.. How do I use C2 (and what is it?)
Itís usually not easy to brick the ESCs from flashing so Iím still not sure if thatís the case.
Have you checked that everything is connected and powered properly?

C2 flashing involves accessing the C2D and C2CK pins of each efm8 mcu on the escs and you will need an arduino or similar.
May 05, 2021, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micccain
I have a few questions: I recently got a Mobula 6 and I'm interested in the RPM filtering and higher PWM.
1. Does RPM filtering improve performance on the Mobula 6? I've seen alot of about the 48kHz but not as much on the RPM filtering
2. Is it better to run 48kHz or 96kHz on this model?
3. It comes with Betaflight 3.57. What are the advantages/disadvantages of upgrading to the latest version?
I notice no one has replied so let me try to help here. I have found rpm filtering to make a noticeable difference to the 'smoothness' of the motors, I have tried both JESC and Bluejay and found similar results using the 48khz firmware that there is a similar flight time to the stock esc firmware so if you are unhappy with the mob6 performance I would first make sure you have a good quality solid pin battery pigtail connector then consider direct soldering the motors (it is a bit fiddly, but the hugely noticeable increase in low down authority and general increase in performance makes up for that!) and ensuring you have good condition batts (my gnb 300mah get average of 4mins easy flying and around 3mins of hard acro outside.) then consider updating the bf firmware (the update is painless and stock pids are ok, but the original mob6 pids are a great ballpark in 4.x.x) and trying Bluejay or JESC.

My Mob6 19000kv was bought to run alongside my years long favourite whoop the us65 and has blown me away with its performance.
May 06, 2021, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamashi
Itís usually not easy to brick the ESCs from flashing so Iím still not sure if thatís the case.
Have you checked that everything is connected and powered properly?

C2 flashing involves accessing the C2D and C2CK pins of each efm8 mcu on the escs and you will need an arduino or similar.
I checked the solder joints after this happened but it was working - plug in the lipo, I get the beeps, I was even able to get the motors to spin up in betaflight - I noticed that 2 of the motors needed to be reversed and that's when I started trying to connect to blheli, first the version in chrome, but that didn't show me anything. Then I didn't realize that these were BlHeli S so I tried 32.. I don't remember exactly what I did because I was in what I call the 'trapped fly syndrome' - a fly trapped in a car with one window opened. The fly desperately slams into the closed window over and over again trying to get out. All the fly needed to do was stop a second, look around notice the open window and go out that.. To date, I still don't know where the open window is, but..

Anyway, I'll desolder the motors and resolder them - the FC and the receiver is connecting when powered by the esc board. At this point I already ordered a new esc board... But I hope to have that on a shelf for either a different build or as a replacement if I break this one flying it somehow..

I've flashed various chips before using an IFTD module and have a couple of them on hand, same with arduino's - I've got a box of different versions of them.. So if that's the way I need to go, I'll google around..

Hmm.. how can I test the motors without a "working" esc? Oh wait, I have other esc's - I can probably hook up a spare receiver, plug it's throttle output into a spare esc that I have and test the motors that way.. I'll try to do that today if I can make the time..

Thank you by the way for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it..
May 07, 2021, 09:23 PM
Quadaholic
@ Squirrel_D In the blhelisuite folder (not 32), there is a ton of docs, it shows you how to hook up different arduio's/etc and flashing. Its confusing at first, I mostly use the nanov3 or passthrough the FC, here is a cheat sheet i made years ago.
Last edited by --Oz--; May 07, 2021 at 09:28 PM.
May 08, 2021, 01:39 PM
Hi all, I'm hopping back into FPV after a few years off. Wow, a lot's changed. I'm attempting to update my Airblade Eclair 2.5" 3S quad to the latest greatest including RPM filtering.

Seems there are lots of options in terms of BLHELI_S firmware for bidirectional DSHOT.. I've watched lots of videos and read a bit and am still a bit confused. JazzMaverick, JESC, Bluejay, and I think I head maybe the latest official BLHELI supports it?

What should I do? Also, what PWM freq is recommended for a 3S 2.5" quad?

Thanks a lot

Update: I got impatient and went with the Bluejay firmware version 12.2 and it all seems to be working. Just did a quick LOS test in the back yard. Hopefully I can let 'er rip soon. Thanks
Last edited by txbdan; May 08, 2021 at 03:26 PM.
May 09, 2021, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
@ Squirrel_D In the blhelisuite folder (not 32), there is a ton of docs, it shows you how to hook up different arduio's/etc and flashing. Its confusing at first, I mostly use the nanov3 or passthrough the FC, here is a cheat sheet i made years ago.
Thank you so much!
May 17, 2021, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Thank you so much!
Just as an update - I haven't worked on this esc board anymore but received my new one and it's ready for it's maiden flight (just been a bit too busy to do it yet.) I plan to see if i can revive the original ESC board the way that was suggested.. Just need more time in a day..
May 17, 2021, 08:18 AM
I wonder if I am the only one who has been using blheli for years (on drones,) and only now that I just started flying a BrushLessHELIcopter do I understand the weird name for this awesome firmware!

EDIT: and that includes starting on the thread on helifreak before starting on this one!
May 17, 2021, 03:01 PM
run
run
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLderDan
I wonder if I am the only one who has been using blheli for years (on drones,) and only now that I just started flying a BrushLessHELIcopter do I understand the weird name for this awesome firmware!

EDIT: and that includes starting on the thread on helifreak before starting on this one!
::mind blown::

Quick Reply