Apr 09, 2016, 04:41 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert b
this is difficult to understand.
i have no problem with the original vgood firmware as i am flying in most cases 2208 motors. and here the throttle response is just very nice.

8-bit is something of the past.
not saying that 8-bit is something bad by default.
There's some nasty stairstepping in the throttle of even the latest VGood firmware, and there's still a lot of sync issues being reported. Also top-end thrust just isn't there. There's just a lot more capability there that can be explored.

As far as 8-bit vs 32-bit, it doesn't really matter when/how the technology was made, what matters is if it's the right application, or if it is a limiting factor. For what we're doing in terms of brushless ESC control, 32-bit doesn't have any significant advantages over 8-bit other than the fact that ithas enough overhead to be programmed in C rather than assembly, but abstraction can also be a disadvantage in certain instances. For future development, 32-bit may become advantageous soon, but even given the advances in BLHeli_S we're still well within the capabilities of the 8-bit 48mhz chips. Also there's the fact that the STM32F0 chips are significantly more expensive than the 8-bit chips. I'm not saying we shouldn't explore 32-bit options, just that it's an unnecessary expense at this exact moment. Of course that will start changing rapidly as we start exploring two way communication and other ways of dealing with control. Like I said, we're still a long way from the end of the capabilities of the processors we're currently using.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2016, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmcfly
there's some nasty stairstepping in the throttle of even the latest vgood firmware, and there's still a lot of sync issues being reported. Also top-end thrust just isn't there. There's just a lot more capability there that can be explored.

As far as 8-bit vs 32-bit, it doesn't really matter when/how the technology was made, what matters is if it's the right application, or if it is a limiting factor. For what we're doing in terms of brushless esc control, 32-bit doesn't have any significant advantages over 8-bit other than the fact that ithas enough overhead to be programmed in c rather than assembly, but abstraction can also be a disadvantage in certain instances. For future development, 32-bit may become advantageous soon, but even given the advances in blheli_s we're still well within the capabilities of the 8-bit 48mhz chips. Also there's the fact that the stm32f0 chips are significantly more expensive than the 8-bit chips. I'm not saying we shouldn't explore 32-bit options, just that it's an unnecessary expense at this exact moment. Of course that will start changing rapidly as we start exploring two way communication and other ways of dealing with control. Like i said, we're still a long way from the end of the capabilities of the processors we're currently using.
+1!
Apr 10, 2016, 03:49 AM
1++ ;-)
Apr 10, 2016, 05:51 AM
just saying 8-bit vs 32bit, I remember when it was said 640k of memory was all you’d ever need :-)
Apr 10, 2016, 06:02 AM
Speakers verkopen (3 min 38 sec)

Well, nothing to do with the 8/32bit discussion, it just came into my mind, sorry off topic
Apr 11, 2016, 02:02 AM
Team Shendrones
It sure is a hobby in it self to follow these technical advancements, can't wait to try this stuff. Great job guys!!
Apr 11, 2016, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstew
just saying 8-bit vs 32bit, I remember when it was said 640k of memory was all you’d ever need :-)
Yeah.... Only in some months we got from standard 8bit 16mhz to 8bit 48mhz... Never say never... And extra processing power/bandwidth is always welcome...
Apr 12, 2016, 03:34 PM
Is this going to be open source? I didn't see it under your account on Github.
Apr 12, 2016, 05:24 PM
I'd rather be flying
I have tracking on my test units
Apr 12, 2016, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmturn0
Is this going to be open source? I didn't see it under your account on Github.
I think it's under testing yet, should be soon.
Apr 12, 2016, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
I need some too.
Apr 12, 2016, 08:26 PM
are these the new blheli_s units : http://www.readytoflyquads.com/aikon...blheli-oneshot
Apr 12, 2016, 10:01 PM
I'd rather be flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD
No those are the BoltLites I just got done testing. They're extremely solid F39X based ESCs. The Aikon SEMF will be the BLHeli_S ESCs.
Apr 13, 2016, 07:47 AM
Crash Test Dummy
I sure hope one of the new blheli_s escs come with a big fat electrolytic cap on it.... like 30a 6s support. thats the one i'm getting :P
Apr 16, 2016, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
Got 'em yet?

I'm holding out on these rather than (1st choice) XM30As or (2nd choice) Kiss24A Race Eds.

Quick Reply