Jun 23, 2016, 09:44 AM
Quad

You've had Blheli_s samples from most of the manufactures. So far, are you favoring one over all the others? If so, seeing this isn't a specific "brand" thread, care to express your thoughts as to why?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2016, 10:00 AM
I'd rather be flying
I can't say I've noticed a lot of variations between brands yet. They all seem to be pretty close. The one thing I have noticed is the EFM8BB chips are much more sensitive to voltage fluctuations, which seems to be the root of most of the issues with these ESCs. I think the logic side voltage regulation circuitry will need to be much more robust in later revisions. More capacitance on the supply lines and higher quality regulators. Most of those issues don't show up on the bench though unfortunately. It takes a higher adoption rate to show real-world QC and any in-flight issues. As far as relative performance goes, they seem to all be very similar. This is still baby technology, so it will be interesting to watch things mature.
Jun 23, 2016, 10:23 AM
Heli addict -> Quads
Regarding the BB1 vs BB2 debate, from what ive read, the main difference is you "supposedly" get twice the step resolution with the BB2, and its good up to a much higher eRPM. 1024 vs 2048 steps, 350k eRPM vs 500keRPM.

But honestly, theres no point. If you only have 1000 steps of TX resolution (you could probably set more but I dont know what hurdles would be present there), and I doubt PID loops can control the motors is 1/2 or a step increments. (I could be wrong though)
Jun 23, 2016, 10:29 AM
I will change my Emax_35A Bheli_S for Littlebee 30A. I will stay aware of this thread, for choosing a very reliable esc in bheli_S in the future .

Thanks
Last edited by flowair; Jun 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM.
Jun 23, 2016, 12:25 PM
got a replacement motor soldered in and took it out for a maiden flight. I am loving the Cicada 30a so far. I tried to push them as hard as possible to see if i could get a roll of death but havent had any yet. I am running betaflight 2.8.1 stock pids..motors come down warm. I will have to reduce pitch p and roll D a little bit to reduce slight oscillations, but so far I can say it feels very close to my kiss setup with kiss 24a escs
Jun 23, 2016, 01:52 PM
novuh @ propwashed
Hey QMF - you mentioned a ways back in the thread that you were trying to get your hands on the FVT BlHeli_S offering - how do you know that is coming?

I'm pondering on whether I should buy now or wait.. I would definitely like to go with the FVT ESC if it were available.
Jun 23, 2016, 05:24 PM
Can you guys recommend a RELIABLE BLHeli_s ESC that can run on 5S?

I plan on running 2206 2200KV motors with either 5" or 6" props.

I mainly want to run 4S but want to give 5S or even 6S when I feel like experimenting.

I was looking into Emax Lightning_S 35A and DYS XM30A, but they seem to have rebooting issues?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jun 23, 2016, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbs
Can you guys recommend a RELIABLE BLHeli_s ESC that can run on 5S?

I plan on running 2206 2200KV motors with either 5" or 6" props.

I mainly want to run 4S but want to give 5S or even 6S when I feel like experimenting.

I was looking into Emax Lightning_S 35A and DYS XM30A, but they seem to have rebooting issues?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Xm30a are safe, but the emax are good too.
Jun 23, 2016, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
Xm30a are safe, but the emax are good too.
What are the main fix for the rebooting issue? I've seen others trying stuff like raising min throttle but not a definitive fix.
Jun 23, 2016, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbs
What are the main fix for the rebooting issue? I've seen others trying stuff like raising min throttle but not a definitive fix.
Not sure, some say there will be no fix, seems hardware related. The Sunrise cicada blheli_S don't have that problem at least.
Jun 23, 2016, 06:37 PM
Emax Lightening 35A are not reliables at the moment. Wait and see for the future batchs from Emax.
Me and some people have many rebooting issues with them. In my case, only 2 of 4 esc(s) were OK. A mate has 3 of 4 OK, so bad quality control ! You can read this thread about Emax 35A blheli_S : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2669748&page=6.

I will remplace them by LB30A because it seems to be a hardware issue that can't be fixed by settings on the Emax ones.

Maybe i will order Sunrise Cicada but for now, i'm unwilling to buy new ESC bheli_s, i prefer to wait for a VERY reliable ESC under Blheli_S and some firmware updates.
Jun 23, 2016, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefeglass
got a replacement motor soldered in and took it out for a maiden flight. I am loving the Cicada 30a so far. I tried to push them as hard as possible to see if i could get a roll of death but havent had any yet. I am running betaflight 2.8.1 stock pids..motors come down warm. I will have to reduce pitch p and roll D a little bit to reduce slight oscillations, but so far I can say it feels very close to my kiss setup with kiss 24a escs
Many of us have found we had to lower yaw P significantly. I can fly close to default R/P, yaw P is down to 5.9 for me at the moment, even at 6.7 I had oscillation in hard turns.
Jun 23, 2016, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowair
Emax Lightening 35A are not reliables at the moment. Wait and see for the future batchs from Emax.
Me and some people have many rebooting issues with them. In my case, only 2 of 4 esc(s) were OK. A mate has 3 of 4 OK, so bad quality control ! You can read this thread about Emax 35A blheli_S : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2669748&page=6.

I will remplace them by LB30A because it seems to be a hardware issue that can't be fixed by settings on the Emax ones.

Maybe i will order Sunrise Cicada but for now, i'm unwilling to buy new ESC bheli_s, i prefer to wait for a VERY reliable ESC under Blheli_S and some firmware updates.
I'm trying to look for a Sunrise Cicada 30A 6S version, but it seems people are only selling the 4S.
Jun 23, 2016, 07:00 PM
I'd rather be flying
I've not seen a large enough issue yet to compare with what's out there to say the Emax 35A are not reliable. The failures seen could have been caused by user error, or a number of things. The large majority of use I've seen they've worked fine. I think either the Emax 35A or the ZTW Flash would be viable for 5 or 6S operation. I am somewhat wary of the Cicada at 6S even though it is rated for it because it uses a doubled FET design, is physically smaller, and has only the 24mhz MCU. I think the 48mhz MCU and a single larger FET on a PCB with higher thermal mass will do better at high voltage. That being said I imagine they will all work quite well, but it's all guess work till we get a large enough sample of users who've tried it welcome to the pains of early adoption!
Jun 23, 2016, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowair

Hmmm...In your case you were using a 2600KV motor. I plan on using a 2200KV motor. Maybe that would make a difference? However, BlHeli_s is supposed to work well with high KV motors right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
I've not seen a large enough issue yet to compare with what's out there to say the Emax 35A are not reliable. The failures seen could have been caused by user error, or a number of things. The large majority of use I've seen they've worked fine. I think either the Emax 35A or the ZTW Flash would be viable for 5 or 6S operation. I am somewhat wary of the Cicada at 6S even though it is rated for it because it uses a doubled FET design, is physically smaller, and has only the 24mhz MCU. I think the 48mhz MCU and a single larger FET on a PCB with higher thermal mass will do better at high voltage. That being said I imagine they will all work quite well, but it's all guess work till we get a large enough sample of users who've tried it welcome to the pains of early adoption!

I don't see a ZTW Flash that supports 6S, only 2-4S.

Quick Reply