Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Apr 07, 2016, 11:59 AM
Registered User
Discussion

BLHeli_S - Smooth as Silk


BLHeli_S is an improved version of the base BLHeli code.

BLHeli_S delivers a throttle response that is Smooth as Silk, and the main factor contributing to this, is that it uses hardware to generate motor PWM. Two MCUs support this for BLHeli_S, namely the BusyBee1 at 24MHz (EFM8BB10F8) and the BusyBee2 at 48MHz (EFM8BB21F16).

BLHeli_S will have the same good Sync holding properties as base BLHeli. Maybe even better.

BLHeli_S generally does Startup better than base BLHeli.

BLHeli_S does damped light. Only.

BLHeli_S has motor PWM that is Synchronous to the MCU master clock, as it is generated by hardware. This makes the motor Silent.

BLHeli_S has very Small throttle Steps. The resolution varies between hardware configurations (MCU clock speed and driver type), and is between a nominal 512 steps and 2048 steps.

BLHeli_S supports very high motor Speeds. A BB1 MCU will support 350k erpm, and the limit of the BB2 is not yet known, so the code is set to limit at 500k erpm.

BLHeli_S supports regular 1-2ms input signal, as well as Oneshot125, Oneshot42 and Multishot. Autodetected when the ESC sees an input signal.


Last and by no means least, is Simplicity. If you have a regular setup, just install and go fly (calibrate if your throttle range does not match BLHeli_S default). Or if you need to configure or update, just do so with the Simplicity offered by connecting to your ESCs through the FlightController, using BLHeliSuite and a USB cable.


ESCs will be available from several manufacturers in not too long.
Here are pictures of one of the first ones in line, the AIKON SEFM 30A.





Name: AIKON SEFM 30A label.jpg
Views: 350
Size: 229.2 KB
Description: Name: AIKON SEFM 30A size.jpg
Views: 621
Size: 470.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by sskaug; Apr 08, 2016 at 12:11 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2016, 02:21 PM
Registered User
Sounds AMAZING. What are the requirements for an ESC to be compatible with BLHeli_S?
Apr 07, 2016, 02:24 PM
Registered User
Also - is any beta testing needed on the hardware or firmware? I've been testing a number of prototype ESC's and FC's lately and would love to take a look at a set of these, give feedback, etc..
Apr 07, 2016, 02:38 PM
Firmware Fiend
The Quasar's Avatar
Ohhhhhhhh, GIMME GIMME!!!!
Apr 07, 2016, 09:35 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug
BLHeli supports regular 1-2ms input signal, as well as Oneshot125, Oneshot42 and Multishot. Autodetected when the ESC sees an input signal.
Does that include an auto-detect for a brushed motor signal? And if so, only the same ranges as regular BLHeli? Or will any duty cycle work?
Apr 07, 2016, 09:49 PM
I'd rather be flying
QuadMcFly's Avatar
I'll have them on MQTB as soon as the final version is ready Can't wait to test these!
Apr 07, 2016, 10:35 PM
Registered User
KISS better watch their back.
Apr 07, 2016, 11:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabardwell
KISS better watch their back.
There are already matching 32bit escs to kiss, the new vgood 32bit arm stm32 f0 turned to be very good with oneshot42, oneshot125 and multishot v1.
Apr 08, 2016, 12:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Does that include an auto-detect for a brushed motor signal? And if so, only the same ranges as regular BLHeli? Or will any duty cycle work?
BLHeli is also quite a bit simplified from base BLHeli. Only multirotor mode, and no support for 0-100% pwm brushed signal input.
Apr 08, 2016, 01:27 AM
mucho FPV
RocketMouse's Avatar
Will they be good for bigger motors like 2216 and Dji E305?
Apr 08, 2016, 02:12 AM
Firmware Fiend
The Quasar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader9
There are already matching 32bit escs to kiss, the new vgood 32bit arm stm32 f0 turned to be very good with oneshot42, oneshot125 and multishot v1.
Yeah, we know--Vgood ESCs, VgoodESCs, best product on the planet--we get it, every thread you're in, there's no stopping you from shilling. I get it, they're great, I have a set, but can we respect different hardware and not spam Vgood stuff every chance you get?! Would be great, cuz I really want to know more about BLHeli_S--thanks, buddy. Don't give a sh1111t about over-priced, closed-source KISS either.
Apr 08, 2016, 02:44 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quasar
Yeah, we know--Vgood ESCs, VgoodESCs, best product on the planet--we get it, every thread you're in, there's no stopping you from shilling. I get it, they're great, I have a set, but can we respect different hardware and not spam Vgood stuff every chance you get?! Would be great, cuz I really want to know more about BLHeli_S--thanks, buddy. Don't give a sh1111t about over-priced, closed-source KISS either.
I'm not saying they are the best in the planet... They do work and they are alternatives.
Apr 08, 2016, 07:19 AM
I'd rather be flying
QuadMcFly's Avatar
IMO 32-bit ESCs are overkill. We've yet to even come close to the limit of the 48mhz SiLabs chips. Also the firmware on the VGood 32-bit ESCs still has a long way to go. Hopefully Steffen will get to them eventually :P
Apr 08, 2016, 07:44 AM
Just another FPV addicted teen
EpicRC's Avatar
subbed
Apr 08, 2016, 08:37 AM
mucho FPV
RocketMouse's Avatar
Why not to subb from menu?


Thread Tools