Apr 17, 2016, 05:51 PM

filaments

this will only work with pla and abs? no other type of filaments will work?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2016, 08:46 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsab67 View Post
I'm sure it'll work with most other filament types. TPU, Nylon, etc should print just fine.
Apr 18, 2016, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsab67 View Post
The only exception will be flexible pla I think it will have trouble with that
Apr 18, 2016, 07:23 AM
Eternal learner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japala View Post
Linked this on to my bookmarks: http://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-duplicator-i3/

Seems to contain some "essential" mods and improvements to do. Not all of them apply as this machine have same things changed but many of them are still valid.
Thanks a lot for the link !
Which one of those mods should be done on our printer ?
Apr 18, 2016, 10:24 AM
Bed screw and thumbwheel mod
Adding a Glass Bed
Z-Brace
and possibly
Extruder Gear

That is my list at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm going to use that particular method of Z brace but that threaded rod seems to be the most popular approach. Makes a huge difference in quality as that tower can't shake and rattle any longer.
Apr 18, 2016, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japala View Post
That is my list at the moment.
Thank you very much for sharing those mods. I have added them to the very first post in this thread.
Apr 18, 2016, 04:43 PM
Ugh! My printer has only just shipped and already I have mod anxiety
Apr 19, 2016, 04:12 PM
I's printing very nice. I made a couple of failure print's, but who didn't (most of them were because of the slicing method, and setting's), and a lot of very nice printing's.
Currently I'm printing a desk lamp, witch I have to mount after printing, and the quality so far is very nice. I will post pictures after will be finish
Apr 20, 2016, 08:04 AM
Hi all, just got my printer and put it together, nice looking piece of kit!
Anyway, thought I would try and print something from the sd card and off it went but nothing was coming out the nozzle. Do you need to prime it somehow? There is nothing on the screen to tell you to do that (no menu item).

Anyway also looked at bed levelling vid on 1st page of this thread and cannot find "Position" on the screen to move z-axis to top so I did auto home position and it went there and I adjusted the screws on the bed with a piece of paper etc and thought I got it right, but when I went to print again it sort of gouged a scratch through the masking tape on the bed and into the aluminium a bit. Maybe I should not have tried - move Z axis menu - Now I dont know how to put it back to the right figure.

You know, not getting any sort of instruction manual these days with anything you buy is a pain. I dont know how to use this thing. Its not intuitive. Does it have Repetier on the card or are you supposed to download it? I would appreciate some help here guys. Th most simple things like loading filament(yes I used the lever and pushed it down all the way and in the end it started to ooze), bed leveling procedure , how to raise z-axis, basically a bit of an instruction manual or video or something to be able to clean the nozzle etc... Its doing my head. thanks..
Apr 20, 2016, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Today is 2 weeks (10 working days) since I ordered this printer and finally the tracking number status has changed. It has gone from Hong Kong to Singapore and showed up in New York this morning. Usually things go from Hong Kong through California then to Illinois.

Not only was this on a slow boat from China, but it went the wrong way around the world.

I was starting o get worried and had planned on contacting Hobby King if I hadn't seen or heard anything by this afternoon.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of condition it's in when it does get here.
Apr 20, 2016, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Babs;34572198]

Put the memory card into your computer and it will have on it 3 manuals and also a copy of repitier host to run it from your computer

You say you levelled the bed did you level it in just one corner or did you level all 4 corners if you did all 4 corners you have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it spot on

If the nozzle was touching the bed like you say the filament will not be able to come out
Apr 20, 2016, 10:45 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Hi all, just got my printer and put it together, nice looking piece of kit!
Anyway, thought I would try and print something from the sd card and off it went but nothing was coming out the nozzle. Do you need to prime it somehow? There is nothing on the screen to tell you to do that (no menu item).

Anyway also looked at bed levelling vid on 1st page of this thread and cannot find "Position" on the screen to move z-axis to top so I did auto home position and it went there and I adjusted the screws on the bed with a piece of paper etc and thought I got it right, but when I went to print again it sort of gouged a scratch through the masking tape on the bed and into the aluminium a bit. Maybe I should not have tried - move Z axis menu - Now I dont know how to put it back to the right figure.

You know, not getting any sort of instruction manual these days with anything you buy is a pain. I dont know how to use this thing. Its not intuitive. Does it have Repetier on the card or are you supposed to download it? I would appreciate some help here guys. Th most simple things like loading filament(yes I used the lever and pushed it down all the way and in the end it started to ooze), bed leveling procedure , how to raise z-axis, basically a bit of an instruction manual or video or something to be able to clean the nozzle etc... Its doing my head. thanks..
1) Prime nozzle, Yes. Lift the Z-axis so it's well off the bed. Heat the nozzle to ~200, push down the lever on the filament feeder so you can press the filament thru the nozzle. When you have a stream of plastic coming out the end of the nozzle it's ready.

2) The Z-axis 'home' is determined by the Z-axis micro switch. I don't have this particular printer, but mine has a height adjustable micro switch. I adjusted it until the nozzle was close to, but not touching the print bed. I then adjusted the bed leveling screws for the paper thickness gap. I set for each corner, then checked another two to three times. Especially for the first leveling, adjusting one corner will throw off a corner you already adjusted, so check and then recheck, then recheck again.

Most of these printers seem to come with pretty minimal info. HK has some nice videos on the Turnigy Fabrikator Mini printer. Watch those for an initial start. Also just google 'i3 Priming 3D printer, leveling 3D printer bed, etc'. You'll find all sorts of good tutorials/video's to get you going.
Apr 20, 2016, 02:25 PM
Eternal learner
I'm almost done and of course i'm stuck at the end of assembly...

Guys plz, which way do I have to place the small fan ? There's a "gold" sticker, is it supposed to look toward the extruder or the other way around ?

EDIT : Well I got my answer, for once the "manual" showed the correct way if looking at the connector orientation !
Ok, let's level the bed now

Quote:
Anyway also looked at bed levelling vid on 1st page of this thread and cannot find "Position" on the screen to move z-axis to top
I, like you, don't have the same menu that we see on the video on the 1st page... strange !
I'm stuck at this leveling process right now.
Last edited by Tamis; Apr 20, 2016 at 03:01 PM.
Apr 20, 2016, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=James111;34572802]
Quote:

Put the memory card into your computer and it will have on it 3 manuals and also a copy of repitier host to run it from your computer

You say you levelled the bed did you level it in just one corner or did you level all 4 corners if you did all 4 corners you have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it spot on

If the nozzle was touching the bed like you say the filament will not be able to come out
James111 well I didnt look on the sd card did I? Funny, I should have known after all the reading I've done on 3d printers. I have printed out the first run doc and softare doc so hopefully good to go.
I levelled the bed on all 4 corners and its hard to get it right. I agree with you may need to do it over a few times to get it right. The bed is spring loaded and I had to push it down to get the paper in there and adjust but when I took the paper out it felt like the nozzle touch the bed again. Very Fidley.
At the end I took out the filament and cut it on an angle and pushed it back in with the lever and it went deeper than before and started to ooze a bit. Thanks for your help.
Apr 20, 2016, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamis View Post
I'm almost done and of course i'm stuck at the end of assembly...

Guys plz, which way do I have to place the small fan ? There's a "gold" sticker, is it supposed to look toward the extruder or the other way around ?

EDIT : Well I got my answer, for once the "manual" showed the correct way if looking at the connector orientation !
Ok, let's level the bed now

I, like you, don't have the same menu that we see on the video on the 1st page... strange !
I'm stuck at this leveling process right now.
Tamis;34575241 let me know how you go. Thats what I need to do as well. Will have another go at it later today, good luck.

Quick Reply