Apr 05, 2016, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How Blinged Out Is Your AS3Xtra??? (XP3A Brushless Setup And Initilization Vid)

Hello

Updates made 6/12/16 to simplify the content to get to the point quickly...

I have done a lot of work (Carbon Reinforcements and Brushless Update) to my AS3Xtra... I have more power from a motor that will not burn up, and an air frame that is much stiffer/stronger than it was originally was.

-Motor: Blade BLH3327 (nano cpx motor, I am using the pinion that came with the motor with the stock main gear that came with the plane)
-ESC: XP3A with BLHeli Main (get the programming dongle!!!!)
-Batteries: EFlight 150mah 45c

E-Flight 150mah 45C packs have the best power density of any for this application...don't waste your money on the others. These seem to last about 30ish flights and loose punch and need to be replaced.

The Nanoforce 180mah 45C packs do not preform as well as the E-Flights mentioned above. See my discharge curves...

I made a video showing my settings (see attachments) and the initialization procedure (see the YouTube Video) for the XP3A Brushless ESC. If you want the procedure in words see below:

1) Just need to turn on Tx with throttle down
2) plug in battery to plane and the ESC will initialize (3x assenting beeps),
3) wait for the plane to link up with the Tx
4) and then slowly raise the throttle until you hear 3x assenting beeps again (same as you heard when plugging in the battery) and stop a sec
5) and then slowly raise the throttle more until you hear one single beep and stop for a sec
6) and then lower the throttle to the off position ; you'll one single beep (higher pitch tone than the last single beep)
7) and you are ready to fly.

XP3A Initilization Demo On AS3Xtra (0 min 37 sec)

AUW: 40.7g

The AS3Xtra is by far my favorite plane so far. My Laser 17 is a close second and would be at the top if it was practical to fly it in my house.

I fly (hover and high alpha stuff in my house) at least 3 times per evening.

Enjoy
Last edited by Eco8gator; Jun 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2016, 04:15 AM
Doesnt the brick have BL esc function ?
(thats why the motor connector has 3 pins)
Apr 06, 2016, 04:22 AM
Nice one Eco8gator! How many teeth are you running on your motor gear?
Last edited by benz11; Apr 06, 2016 at 04:27 AM.
Apr 06, 2016, 09:15 AM
Dude this is incredible! The AS3xtra was already amazing. It too is one of my favs out of a fleet of 30 planes. You kicked it up a notch for sure. Good job. Jealous.
Apr 06, 2016, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
The only reason I did what I did is after a few good knocks the airframe gets a bit flimsy.

After I broke the wing in flight I decided it was time to reinforce the main structures.

It was all a guess on what to but I took a good look at the F3P planes as inspiration. I knew what I wanted and that was to make the aft part of plane stay in sync with the fwd part of the plane and to improve the stiffness of the control surfaces the frame lacked enough stiffness to prevent the aft end from twisting during maneuvers in flight. From there I wanted to reduce flex in the control surfaces.

I will say the single mod that should be done from the start on this plane is to install a solid CF wing spar...make a world of difference in both durability and stiffness.
Apr 07, 2016, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Added some ESC settings and a how-to initialization video.

Also added some details regarding my new 180mah 45c Nanoforce batteries.
Apr 29, 2016, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Update:

The 180mah 45c packs are not as good as I'd hoped the eflight 150's are still the best option...
Apr 29, 2016, 01:01 AM
Yeah I've tried a few different ones too. Eflite seems the best so far. Love your work.
Apr 29, 2016, 02:31 AM
any one tried maxamps 1 cell batteries in this plane? My eflites lose there punch in a hurry.
Apr 29, 2016, 08:44 AM
No are they any good?
Jun 12, 2016, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101
Doesnt the brick have BL esc function ?
(thats why the motor connector has 3 pins)
Not sure but from the top of the board I do not see the FETs required to drive a brushless motor.
Jun 12, 2016, 10:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by benz11
Nice one Eco8gator! How many teeth are you running on your motor gear?
I am using the pinion that came with the motor so what ever that one is.

BTW I used a piece of plastic to shim the motor to mesh with the main gear. I tacked it in place using foam tac.
Jun 13, 2016, 10:25 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
hey bud where are you sourcing the xp3a's from nowadays, I have some spares but I'm short two for making a mini fpv quad and I don't want to pull the others off my dual brushless converted hcp80 heli's
Jun 13, 2016, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
I got mine here.

http://www.megasmicros.com/product_p/xp-3a.htm

Nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy|Harry
hey bud where are you sourcing the xp3a's from nowadays, I have some spares but I'm short two for making a mini fpv quad and I don't want to pull the others off my dual brushless converted hcp80 heli's
Jun 13, 2016, 09:00 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
thanks bud! I never knew he'd started selling all those different items, saying that the only time i'd used his services was way back getting my ncpx board repaired

Quick Reply