Bungee Cord for Landing Gear - RC Groups
Apr 05, 2016, 09:18 AM
Discussion

Bungee Cord for Landing Gear

I have a Maxford Nieuport N-17 that I'm adding a small amount of axle shock absorbing travel to. I need to find small diameter bungee cord that would be appropriate.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Rich
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2016, 04:22 PM
Round engines & two wings...
Depending on the scale, I've used ponytail hair ties or color appropriate elastic bands.
~Brad
Apr 06, 2016, 06:49 PM
Also try any camping supply places, replacement tent supplies.

Stephen
Apr 06, 2016, 07:39 PM
richgraf:

I get all my bungee cording from Jo-Ann fabrics. They have it in about 1/16th and 1/8th diameter, and in two colors black or white. It is sold by the yard and comes on a spool so they have to cut it for you. I think it was about 35 cents a yard.

Dan
Apr 07, 2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sure one of these ideas will sort it out.
Dan: What is it called at Jo-Ann fabrics?
Rich
Last edited by richgraf; Apr 07, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
Apr 07, 2016, 07:43 PM
richgraf:

The best that I can call it is "cording" over in I think it is called the "notions" section. Anyway, it is the stuff like what you would use in a sweatshirt hood or the likes. I would just ask one of the ladies working there, they always seem to know what I'm talking about.

Good luck...

Dan
Apr 07, 2016, 07:56 PM
Dan,

Thanks very much, that should be just about what I'm looking for. My plane is a Maxford N-17 I'm trying to make a few improvements on.

That looks like a huge D-7 that you have for your picture, very nice!

Rich
Apr 08, 2016, 10:15 PM
Beading supplies. They have a stretch cord that works well for smaller stuff (1/6 scale and smaller).

charlie
Apr 09, 2016, 09:37 AM
I get it from Mc Master Carr, they have several sizes and colors.
Doc
Apr 09, 2016, 08:25 PM
richgraf:

Thanks for your kind words on my airplane. It is a 1/4 scale Pfalz D-XII spanning around 88" and powered with a ZDZ 40cc gasser. The full scale A/C was overshadowed by the Fokker D-VII for a couple of reasons, the D-VII had 180hp where the D-XII only had around 160 hp. The Pfalz was a rigging nightmare for the ground crew with it's double bay wire braced wings as compared to the Fokker's cantilever wings. The pilots liked the way it flew and that transferred into the model nicely also! I used the 1/8th in diameter bungee cord in the gear and it works just fine. It hasn't flown for a few years, I'm tempted to resurrect it for the season.

Dan
Apr 12, 2016, 11:50 AM
Air chamber for bicycles, you cut like roundels
Aug 16, 2017, 10:06 PM
Balsa USA sells bungee cord, many sizes too I used 1/8" and it works very well!
Aug 18, 2017, 02:09 PM
Sliced up bicycle inner tube are another option .... and also make a cheap clamp for awkward glue ups during construction.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Aug 24, 2017, 09:26 AM
I used "O" rings on my AVIA BH-3