This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 03, 2016, 03:48 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Nailed it!

Well, I did it!

Sort of.

I brought the Durafly Auto-G2 autogyro to the field this morning as a sort of "warm up act" to the big HobbyKing Super-G autogyro.

Still a bit too breezy for my tastes for me to feel comfortable sending up an exotic, strange-flying model like the Super-G for a maiden flight, so I settled for flying the G2.

Perhaps "settled" isn't the right word since it's so much fun and since I've built a lot of confidence since I first started flying it. Besides, the breeze is one's friend for helping spool the main rotor up to speed, with or without the automatic start.

Lots of visitors at the field today and some were really marveling at the unusual little model prior to takeoff.

On went the auto start, up went the autogyro with its usual grace, off went the auto start and onward toward my single greatest flight to date. I was determined to point it in the directions where I wanted it to go instead of letting it seemingly wander off on its own.

By golly, I did it. I flew a few times around the pattern at medium height in order to keep it oriented. It really demands to be flown with a firm hand; no point-and-scoot without a lot of pilot input.

While the flight was terrific - and the sounds even more so - what I really wanted to do was land it and keep it upright.

Bingo. Perfect, gentle touchdown which elicited a lot of heartfelt applause from everyone watching and a whoop and a fist pump from yours truly.

The Super-G is going up on Wednesday morning, scheduling and weather permitting. Stay tuned to the electric flight page for the full review!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2016, 06:21 AM

Durafly Auto-G2 autogyro

I have purchased on of these one of these in the black Friday sale.
just before Christmas, all built but not flown.
any hints-tips you can give me.
regards

nigel
Apr 08, 2016, 04:50 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel newall
I have purchased on of these one of these in the black Friday sale.
just before Christmas, all built but not flown.
any hints-tips you can give me.
regards

nigel
Hello, Nigel!

That seven-degree tilt of the main rotor is an absolute must. Remember that when you fly it that rudder is also a must.

My problem is that I have stuffed in model number two. Not as much damage as before, but it'll need some attention before it flies again. I let it get too far away and I lost orientation. I also might have added too much expo to the main rotor.

Interestingly, I have no trouble at all with the Auto-G2. It's a sweetheart! The Super-G is somewhat less so, but it's quite possible to make a docile flyer out of it based on all o what I've seen online.
Apr 11, 2016, 07:02 AM
jus a quick question regards the Auto g2 the 7 deg on the main rotor, do you put 7 deg on the rudder??
Apr 14, 2016, 03:17 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel newall
jus a quick question regards the Auto g2 the 7 deg on the main rotor, do you put 7 deg on the rudder??
No, the rudder should be straight.
Jun 20, 2016, 03:15 AM

durafly autogyro g2 balance point

durafly autogyro g2 balance point

Can any one tell me where the center of gravity is supposed to be. I can,t seem to find anything related to this anywhere.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:02 AM
please keep me informed how you get on with the super g
as my maiden went wrong and now awaiting parts from HK as usual.
Jun 30, 2016, 08:21 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
I have (had) an Auto G2, Both flights wound up with uncontrollable climb. Not sure why this happened. I am experienced builder and pilot but not on auto-gyro. I followed the assembly instructions explicitly.
Jul 18, 2016, 03:14 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
I have (had) an Auto G2, Both flights wound up with uncontrollable climb. Not sure why this happened. I am experienced builder and pilot but not on auto-gyro. I followed the assembly instructions explicitly.
Not a problem; it's what it's supposed to do as I've been instructed.

I've rebuilt both models and the first model was used as a sort of practice model. I've flown and landed it three times with incredible success thus far, most recently just yesterday.

It will most assuredly climb under throttle sort of like a quadcopter. Easing off the throttle gives back some down elevator, so don't worry if yours wants to climb.

Thanks to another user who's somewhat of an expert on the Super-G, I was able to properly set mine up. The main rotor should have full throw and 50% expo. Elevator should be as much as you can give it and rudder should be set to the factory specs. My helper went with no expo at the tail; I went with 10%. Flies like a dream, but man, is it ever a different sort of flying experience.

The model I used for the second part of the review is the rebuilt original, scrapes and all. A ball link at the main rotor may have let go in flight; I've replaced both rods with Dubro 2-56 rods and steel clevises clamped in place by Great Planes EZ connectors. These made adjusting the seven-degree tilt of the main rotor a cinch and it's a far more secure and slop-free setup than stock.

Some 2-56 pushrods and the original ball links with the EZ connectors will work as well.

Quick Reply