Thread Tools
Apr 03, 2016, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

How big of a battery are you using on your racing mini 250 size quads


Here is what Ive been using for the past few weeks on my zmr250 naze32 setup. These lipos are actually for my 480 quad and Traxxas Erevo. They are hard cased 4S 20C 5A and weigh about 530 grams. AUW on this 250 quad is about 1.1 Kg. Using 40 Amp HW xrotor escs and emaxx rs2205 racing motors with gf5x45 props. The Emaxx rs2205 put out like 1.2 kg of thurst per motor at full throttle @30A. Its crazy fast even with this enormous battery and flight time is approx 13-15 minutes in full acro mode doing flips and flying fast. Im sure most of you guys are not using a big lipo like these for racing, but for bashing, Im happy with the performance. Not to mention I got these for 15.23 a piece during a cyber sale. Picked up 4 of them in November. It seems our 1.3-2.2A 4S lipos are skyrocketing on price from all vendors. I picked up a 2.2A 4S Turnigy A-Spec lipo from HK a few weeks ago for 16.34 a piece. Now that same lipo out of the same warehouse USA East is 34 each. Supply and demand I guess. Flight time on the 2.2 A-Spec is about 9 minutes and ridiculously fast. What batts are you using and what is the biggest youve strapped to your mini.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2016, 12:20 PM
Registered User
I'm using 1000/1300/1500 4s Graphene batterys on my 210 with Rs2205 2300kv Emax motors and Ztw 20a hv esc's,quad weighs about 280g with fpv gear.I like the 1000's the best for shear perfromance( about 4 mintues flight time.The 1500 weigh 201g which makes directional changes take longer but using 4 blade props help with that ,( 8 mintue flight time)also going from 2 blades to 4 blades cut my hover amp draw from 9 to 5!
Apr 03, 2016, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Nice how are you liking those graphene lipos? Have not tried them yet. Any problems with amp draw with those escs> Those 20 amps seem small for our motors, any temp issues?
Apr 03, 2016, 01:28 PM
Registered User
I have a osd that shows my amp draw,full power shows only 36a,so hardly straining them.Graphene batterys are a game changer!Fly hard and nothing gets even warm stays cool!The batterys i'm using are 45c and 65c,good power and voltage stability to the very end!
Apr 03, 2016, 03:56 PM
My quadcopter is not a drone!
unseen's Avatar
@Joecool73

It's not still April the 1st is it?

Do you really land that brick on the ESCs?

Apr 03, 2016, 05:55 PM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Haha, yep I do. Believe it or not the foam pads Im using are from my slash 4x4 battery tray. Its like a neoprene material, works great for feet for a quad. I have a multistar 8A 4S battery that Im thinking of strapping to it.
Apr 03, 2016, 08:30 PM
Paramotor&racing MR enthusiast
MoldyStain's Avatar
I always use 1300 packs. I have 12 3s 30 and 35 c that i use for slowly creeping around junk if i'm just messing around or testing, and 12 4s 65 and 75 c that i use for actual flying racing style or freestyle. Battery life is between about 1:30 and 2:10 for 4s and 3s respectively.
Apr 10, 2016, 09:27 AM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyStain
I always use 1300 packs. I have 12 3s 30 and 35 c that i use for slowly creeping around junk if i'm just messing around or testing, and 12 4s 65 and 75 c that i use for actual flying racing style or freestyle. Battery life is between about 1:30 and 2:10 for 4s and 3s respectively.
2 minutues thats crazy, are you flying at 100 mph full throttle the whole flight? What is your AUW with the lipo? Are you using a 250 size frame?
Apr 11, 2016, 05:36 PM
Registered User
1300 4s 60c for 3 minute flight time
Apr 13, 2016, 10:44 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool73
Here is what Ive been using for the past few weeks on my zmr250 naze32 setup. These lipos are actually for my 480 quad and Traxxas Erevo. They are hard cased 4S 20C 5A and weigh about 530 grams. AUW on this 250 quad is about 1.1 Kg. Using 40 Amp HW xrotor escs and emaxx rs2205 racing motors with gf5x45 props. The Emaxx rs2205 put out like 1.2 kg of thurst per motor at full throttle @30A. Its crazy fast even with this enormous battery and flight time is approx 13-15 minutes in full acro mode doing flips and flying fast. Im sure most of you guys are not using a big lipo like these for racing, but for bashing, Im happy with the performance. Not to mention I got these for 15.23 a piece during a cyber sale. Picked up 4 of them in November. It seems our 1.3-2.2A 4S lipos are skyrocketing on price from all vendors. I picked up a 2.2A 4S Turnigy A-Spec lipo from HK a few weeks ago for 16.34 a piece. Now that same lipo out of the same warehouse USA East is 34 each. Supply and demand I guess. Flight time on the 2.2 A-Spec is about 9 minutes and ridiculously fast. What batts are you using and what is the biggest youve strapped to your mini.

Wow, I thought the 3300mah 4s I bought was overkill.
Apr 14, 2016, 06:58 AM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Im hooked on the flight time now with these 5A batteries. In doing flips and fast flight, etc and get between 12-15 minutes of flight time. Yesterday I threw a A-Spec 2200 4S 65C in it and get like 6-7 minutes of flight time. I guess Im getting spoiled by the longer flight times. I have a multistar 4s 8000 that I might try. Im starting to wonder what the diminishing return threshold for my setup will be. I also have a 35A sla battery. That one weighs 25 lbs.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:40 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool73
Im hooked on the flight time now with these 5A batteries. In doing flips and fast flight, etc and get between 12-15 minutes of flight time. Yesterday I threw a A-Spec 2200 4S 65C in it and get like 6-7 minutes of flight time. I guess Im getting spoiled by the longer flight times. I have a multistar 4s 8000 that I might try. Im starting to wonder what the diminishing return threshold for my setup will be. I also have a 35A sla battery. That one weighs 25 lbs.
I have a (totally unconfirmed) theory that the diminishing returns thing is less of a an issue for miniquads.

It goes like this:
- AP platforms are very much defined by hovering so you spend a high percentage of time at or close to your hover point. Miniquads on the other hand tend to spend more time at higher throttle.
- if you have a heavier quad then sure you will naturally have a higher throttle point but I suspect other factors will impact where you hold your throttle. I wouldn't fly at a super high throttle all the time regardless, it would feel like I was wrecking all my kit.

eg if your power at hover is 100W and you add 50% more weight you hover at 150W. Whereas you might fly at 200W and 250W so the percentage difference is smaller.

This is just a theory based on my own experience.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:56 AM
Registered User

Want to carry more weight?


To carry a heavier payload you need more blade area!
Apr 15, 2016, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
nice 6 bladed props there. I have not personally seen anything higher than a 5 blade prop up to this point. what brand and how much are those props? Curious to try them? from what I recently read about multi blade props they produce more thrust but are less efficient. so what are your flight times compared to a traditional two bladed prop of the same size and pitch?
Apr 15, 2016, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Joecool73's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandodlc2011
I have a (totally unconfirmed) theory that the diminishing returns thing is less of a an issue for miniquads.

It goes like this:
- AP platforms are very much defined by hovering so you spend a high percentage of time at or close to your hover point. Miniquads on the other hand tend to spend more time at higher throttle.
- if you have a heavier quad then sure you will naturally have a higher throttle point but I suspect other factors will impact where you hold your throttle. I wouldn't fly at a super high throttle all the time regardless, it would feel like I was wrecking all my kit.

eg if your power at hover is 100W and you add 50% more weight you hover at 150W. Whereas you might fly at 200W and 250W so the percentage difference is smaller.

This is just a theory based on my own experience.

I like your theory. I will try my multi-star 4S 8 amp battery to compare flight times with. I would also like to maybe upgrade the motors for some 6s Motors. More Voltage is more efficient


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools