Apr 03, 2016, 09:06 AM
Paul Pappas,.....AMA....L42520
Thread OP
Discussion

Omega 60 "Need a set of wings for an Omega 60"

Need some help guys.

I recently found and have a partial Omega 60 kit on the way.
I've always had an eye out for a kit of this plane through the years, always making inquiries and as fate would have it one finally turned up.

This was another Golden Gate Hobbies offering from back in the day.
Some called it the sister ship to the Atlanta 60, even though this wa a Digicon kit
and the Atlanta was a Zigsaw kit. This plane was factory setup for SE engine with an enclosed pipe instead of the RE setup of an Atlanta.

Well, with all that said I'm in need of info to cut new wings.
If anyone can lend a hand with this let me know.
Last edited by Pitstop000; Jun 09, 2016 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2016, 09:23 AM
JOE MOCERI
Paul,
I can cut you a set of CNC foam wings, When you get the kit hopefully will have a plan set with a wing platform for recreation of the wing. Would have to research the wing airfoil used. Let me know when you get the kit and I will help you out,

Joe
Apr 03, 2016, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Joe,

We're not going to get any help for the wing planform from the plans.

Actually the plans if you can call them that are just some drawings front and back on one piece of paper. There more of a build sheet than anything else.
Apr 03, 2016, 05:54 PM
JOE MOCERI
Paul I guess the wing fits in a saddle like the Atlanta?
The box front gives the wing span. If you trace the saddle and send to me I can draw something up if no one chimes in to help.
Joe
Apr 03, 2016, 08:29 PM
DavidsPlanes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstop000 View Post
Thanks Joe,

We're not going to get any help for the wing planform from the plans.

Actually the plans if you can call them that are just some drawings front and back on one piece of paper. There more of a build sheet than anything else.
Paul,

knowing how the Japanese tended to do things (still do), those part drawings are likely scaled down versions of the full size needed to create the parts in the first place. If you get a good scan off the front left box showing the wing and stab drawings (near the Japanese text), we can re-draw them and blow them up to proper scale. Then, a little dimensional check reveals what the original actually wing looked like: LE & TE taper, root/tip chords and finally airfoils. These last will be the hardest to figure out but like Joe says, we know it's a symmetrical foil so if you get a tracing of the saddle, we draw up a proper fuse side foil and extrapolate to the root and tip from there.

The tip foil percentage is actually going to be your call as it doesn't affect anything other than flight behavior. The Japanese tended to stick to constant foils for root and tip but not always with the same percentage thickness.

David
Apr 03, 2016, 11:06 PM
Paul,

I can help you out with templates on this. But I will need three measurements.

1. The bare fiberglass fuse length
2. The root cord width on the fuse
and
3. The root cord thickness.

I found the ad for the Omega you just bought and think there may be enough data from the ad pics to get started.

Only thing that i don't think I can get is the tip root width and thickness. so I'll just have to punt based on what's on the ad pics. A copy of the upper left corner of the build sheet should be enough to get very close.

regards

Bryan
Last edited by Roguedog; Apr 03, 2016 at 11:40 PM.
Apr 04, 2016, 02:48 AM
Kevin S. Gribben
Cut em with a radius at the leading and feather at the rear this will delete the leading edge block and save you 4 hours of sanding.......and maybe 1/2lb.

I painted an Omega for Chip way back in the day......I cant remember if that is it a copy, or a new one.
Apr 04, 2016, 07:03 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2035 View Post
Cut em with a radius at the leading and feather at the rear this will delete the leading edge block and save you 4 hours of sanding.......and maybe 1/2lb.

I painted an Omega for Chip way back in the day......I cant remember if that is it a copy, or a new one.
I thought that looked like a Kevin Paint job!!
Apr 04, 2016, 07:20 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Its very Millett / Gribben but I cant place it. Wouldnt be unlike chip though to have a well preserved unit.
Last edited by Kevin2035; Apr 06, 2016 at 12:01 PM.
Apr 05, 2016, 06:08 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys for Chiming in and the support.

Plane should be here by next week.
Then I'll see what we're really dealing with.

Another Omega pic.
Last edited by Pitstop000; Apr 07, 2016 at 08:36 AM.
Apr 09, 2016, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Well Guys,
Looks like the plane has been lost/delayed by the shipping company.
I'm hoping it'll show up but at this point I'm concerned
Last edited by Pitstop000; Apr 14, 2016 at 05:36 AM.
Apr 13, 2016, 06:35 PM
JOE MOCERI
Paul did they locate your treasure?
Joe
Apr 14, 2016, 05:52 AM
Thread OP
Hi Joe,
Yes, all good so far, It arrived at the drop off.
Box looks fine as you can see from the pic they sent me.
I'll pick it up as soon as I get back into town.
I'm a little excited now

Quick Reply