This thread is privately moderated by theKM, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 02, 2016, 09:54 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Discussion

Updated Hatcam - Apr2016

Have been through a bunch of revisions on improving hatcams, tweaks, new cameras, mounts, improving the hat hold, etc. Previous post about hatcams can be found here that had most of the important particulars about what's needed for a nice rig...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1545968

The new rig is mostly about refinement. Previous rig was great, but platform was larger than it needed to be, wasn't able to adjust angles and positions for a better fit, and the hat itself was beginning to fall apart. So build objectives...
- platform just big enough to secure the camera
- easily adjustable platform angle to fine tune elevation
- reticle/crosshairs that can be adjusted without falling apart
- removable reticle
- hidden wires and regulator/BEC for camera power

...not to mention an updated camera (60 fps at 1080p, wireless app that will help calibrate the hatcam nicely, etc etc) that is more capable while also being a little lighter.

Pics of process and results...
(If viewing this on the Blog feed, there's more photos to be seen by clicking on "Continue Reading")
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2016, 07:41 PM
I'm still trying to make a good hatcam. What cam are you using ?

Was looking at the SJcam's. Mainly cause you can change the FOV.

Also how does the reticle work ? I see you have 2 horizontal bars
Apr 13, 2016, 11:42 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall
I'm still trying to make a good hatcam. What cam are you using ?

Was looking at the SJcam's. Mainly cause you can change the FOV.

Also how does the reticle work ? I see you have 2 horizontal bars
These are Canon Vixia HF R50.

I don't know anything about SJCam's, but best results for me came at about a 3x zoom, which is much tighter than action cams that I've seen (without using an aftermarket zoom lens swap). This has the plane fill the screen when in close, and helps people not squint when you're flying a larger circuit.

the reticle; the two bars mark the top and bottom of the box, and the vertical bar in the middle boxes the outsides with triangulation of your two eyes. Somone with amblyopia would need to make a square reticle aligned and calibrated to their dominant eye (wouldn't be all that hard to do really).
Apr 28, 2016, 06:40 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
We need a picture of you wearing that hat

seriously though...

What if you use one of these and make tracking mechanism thing?

or these devices used for FPV things to move a directional antenna based where the model is?
Last edited by ckleanth; Apr 30, 2016 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply