AS3X receiver or equivalent with Taranis X9D - RC Groups
Apr 02, 2016, 08:09 PM
Discussion

AS3X receiver or equivalent with Taranis X9D

Apologies if this issue has already been addressed here. I have been searching the forum and, quite frankly, it's overwhelming!

I have a Taranis X9D and a few models with X8R receivers that all work well. I understand I can get a module to bind to Spektrum receivers and I'm particularly interested in those with AS3X.

I've watched videos about how to build them by cannibalizing old Spektrum radios and then there's OrangeRX. What's the best approach?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2016, 08:52 PM
HZ Super Cub
Go with the Spektrum module over the Orange. I didn't have good luck with the Orange modules and I had 2 of them. With the Spektrum setup you get full integration with OpenTX, model memory and you can bind and range test from the radio menu, no buttons on the back to push.
Apr 02, 2016, 09:07 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKatGamer
Apologies if this issue has already been addressed here. I have been searching the forum and, quite frankly, it's overwhelming!

I have a Taranis X9D and a few models with X8R receivers that all work well. I understand I can get a module to bind to Spektrum receivers and I'm particularly interested in those with AS3X.

I've watched videos about how to build them by cannibalizing old Spektrum radios and then there's OrangeRX. What's the best approach?
How many channels do you need? If 6 channels is enough I'd recommend going with the DSMX module with Spektrum RF board.

Ivan
Apr 02, 2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone! 6 channels is enough for now.

Are there alternatives to the Spektrum receivers with AS3X (i.e. with some kind of gyro stabilization) that are compatible with the Taranis X9D?

Or is a DSMX module the way to go?
Apr 04, 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
How many channels do you need? If 6 channels is enough I'd recommend going with the DSMX module with Spektrum RF board.

Ivan
Here's a question, in anticipation, now that I've ordered it (thank you for the extremely prompt service, btw). One of the models has retractable gear and flaps, so that's all six channels. It hadn't occurred to me that the AS3X and SAFE modes would need more channels. It's not a big deal for this one particular model but I'm wondering if it's possible to get creative with one of the many controls on the Taranis. Maybe a three-position switch for gear up, gear down, and PANIC...

FYI, we've barely scratched the surface of the capabilities of the Taranis and OpenTX.
Apr 04, 2016, 03:29 PM
Closed Account
I've had that blog site bookmarked for some time. It seems to be the best you can do in terms of a JR module for Spektrum. Right now I'm using a Spektrum radio, but if I go with another make down the line I may need that. The one down side is the 6 channel maximum. I don't know of any way to get around that limitation while keeping things like model match and other features.

Those stabilization modes are not something unique to Spektrum. They only have their own names for them. You don't have to use an integrated system either. You can use an add-on flight stabilizer that can work with a regular ACCST receiver.
Apr 04, 2016, 03:38 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Just stick with FrSky RF and add an aftermarket stabiliser like the Eagletree Guardian. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Apr 04, 2016, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB
They only have their own names for them.
One of the privileges of being the first to the market And the 800 pound gorilla

Andy
Apr 04, 2016, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Where's the "Hisssssssss!" emoticon? FYI, we're cat people, if that wasn't obvious from the username!

I have been helping my 12yo son (i.e. the Krazy Kat) with RC.

I've looked into getting stabilizers like the Eagletree Guardian. As we already had some models that came with Spektrum receivers it seemed to make sense to start with Ivan's module initially.
Apr 06, 2016, 05:05 PM
Closed Account
Those stabilization modes started with multi-copters. Was Spektrum the first to to adapt them to fixed wing models? I don't know. Platforms like Open Pilot have always had those stability modes and they offer operation over all kinds of model aircraft including fixed wing. They're been been around a lot longer than those Spektrum flight stabilizers. Though Spektrum was probably the first to offer a receiver with built-in flight stabilization. In terms of helis, they're the only maker I know of that offers a receiver with a built-in flybarless controller, or a flybarless controller with a built-in receiver, however you want to look at it.
Apr 06, 2016, 07:43 PM
Some of our team pilots have been flying with gyros for 20-30 years. It's not a new thing.

Andy
Apr 09, 2016, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKatGamer
One of the models has retractable gear and flaps, so that's all six channels. It hadn't occurred to me that the AS3X and SAFE modes would need more channels. It's not a big deal for this one particular model but I'm wondering if it's possible to get creative with one of the many controls on the Taranis. Maybe a three-position switch for gear up, gear down, and PANIC...
Now that we've got the Spektrum AR636A receiver with AS3X bound to the Taranis X9D, thanks to Ivan, we're experimenting with mixes.

Any tips on how to program AS3X flight modes and a panic button, if this is even possible.

I've searched the huge Taranis how-to thread and the only references I could find are for simple binding (which is now working for us)..
Apr 09, 2016, 06:52 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
You could try this DX5e emulation eepe.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30107476

Some info on the emulator.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31798069
Apr 09, 2016, 07:23 PM
Thank you!

It has been raining, on and off, most of the day, so we've spent all day tinkering with models, and radios and receivers.

I understand that the Spektrum AR636A can be programmed from an app with a "special" cable (that we don't have). We went through this with the Naze32 board on a drone we built last year but all it needed was a simple micro-USB cable.

I've already posted a question about the pinouts. It's not that I don't want to buy the cable - I would prefer to make one today...
Apr 09, 2016, 08:06 PM
My 12yo son just pointed out that we could have both receivers in the model - the Spektrum with AS3X for the basic flight controls and an X8R for other features like flaps and landing gear if we run out of channels.

Rainy days are not so bad...

Quick Reply