Mar 22, 2019, 04:20 AM
Slow is the go!

Maiden not so great!

Well sort of commited the Neptune to aviation this afternoon, two short flights, not so
successful, just hopeless in roll, ailerons almost had no effect! Managed to keep her
straight and level on the rudder and landed her straight ahead. CG and pitch are okay
from what I could see from the short flights she managed.

Been keen to hear others thoughts, I'm thinking the ailerons have lost their effectiveness
because they no longer go all the way to the tips? Solution max out the rates and make the
ailerons longer, as in all the way out to the wing tips!

Any thoughts would be appreciated?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2019, 07:33 AM
Hmmmm...I am thinking you need to rethink CG anyway? I would try adding about 5g to the nose for a first thing to try. Or try a 500mah lipo in the nose if you haven't yet.

Second thought is to mix rudder with ailerons.

Good luck! Most important thing is you got her down in one piece!

BTW: PM sent.
Mar 22, 2019, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps
Well sort of commited the Neptune to aviation this afternoon, two short flights, not so
successful, just hopeless in roll, ailerons almost had no effect! Managed to keep her
straight and level on the rudder and landed her straight ahead. CG and pitch are okay
from what I could see from the short flights she managed.

Been keen to hear others thoughts, I'm thinking the ailerons have lost their effectiveness
because they no longer go all the way to the tips? Solution max out the rates and make the
ailerons longer, as in all the way out to the wing tips!

Any thoughts would be appreciated?
Looks like the ailerons are big enough. Did you check the balance lateral. Tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Both wings should stay level when you lift it.
Mar 23, 2019, 09:07 PM
Custom User Name Title
Try it without the wing pods, if for no other reason than to rule them out as the cause of the difficulty
Mar 24, 2019, 11:07 AM
The four blade props you have on the Neptune look like they’re quite a bit smaller diameter than the stock B25 props, could it be the ailerons don’t have so much blown airflow over them on your Neptune?
Hope you get it sorted out anyway, the Neptune looks great.
Mar 24, 2019, 01:54 PM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
Try it without the wing pods, if for no other reason than to rule them out as the cause of the difficulty
Great idea, will try.
Mar 24, 2019, 01:56 PM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
The four blade props you have on the Neptune look like they’re quite a bit smaller diameter than the stock B25 props, could it be the ailerons don’t have so much blown airflow over them on your Neptune?
Hope you get it sorted out anyway, the Neptune looks great.
Great idea which I have already done, had the old Mustang 1S props fitted as
they look more scale but the three blades provide more thrust, will report
back when I fly her again.
Aug 12, 2019, 12:02 PM
Got my B-25 out of the hanger for the first flight in over 2 years. I had a few flights when it was new, and then nothing until this weekend. Servos were all stuck, but a little Detoxit got them working again. Batteries charged up and the first one hit LVC shortly after taking off. I landed and tried the other battery. Much better, but after a minute I needed 75% throttle to stay in the air and after 2 minutes needed 100%. This is with the original batteries that came with the plane. Thinking it is time to see what Roger has available for the B-25. I forgot how much fun this thing is to fly! I flew it over my pond and practicing bombing runs over the diving platforms floating in the center. Always a little scary flying a 1S plane over the water as LVC seems to show up regardless of how charged the batteries are.
Aug 12, 2019, 04:06 PM
I don't fly mine much for the reason that I want to save it! You're right, it's a great plane and those low head-height passes/ "bomb runs" are great. The shape of the model is just so characteristic. I converted mine to brushless so if the flight times get worse, it's time for a replacement battery. I need to find some dioxit here in the EU, I have some servos that jitter now. Starting to think of rotary servo replacements from Hobbyking..
Last edited by RNAF; Aug 12, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
Aug 12, 2019, 06:16 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Had mine out a week or so ago for the 1st time in a long time. Stopped flying it because I was breaking to many nose struts. The really should offer just the nose strut as a replacement. No wheel, no mains. for like a buck. Buy 10 at a time.
Anyway, finally decided to dedicate it to a belly lander. Flew fine. 2 Roger batts, one was stronger then the other, but they worked.
Aug 12, 2019, 07:59 PM
Mine has been a belly lander from the start as i don't have a good spot to use the gear. Which batteries to run from Roger? Also, how do you store them?
Aug 14, 2019, 04:16 AM
Slow is the go!
All mine are belly landers just can't hack Warbirds with gear hanging down,
the thing I could see was going to damaged very easily was those lovely
rudders. So I came up with a bent wire mod using the removable gear slots
then glued a bent length into the tail strike thing at the rear underside.

Bonus can swap them across to my B25 converted to a Neptune.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:59 AM
Peter, I like your solution to the landing gear. Your models always look so good!
Aug 14, 2019, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillipps
All mine are belly landers just can't hack Warbirds with gear hanging down,
the thing I could see was going to damaged very easily was those lovely
rudders. So I came up with a bent wire mod using the removable gear slots
then glued a bent length into the tail strike thing at the rear underside.

Bonus can swap them across to my B25 converted to a Neptune.
Clever as usual!

Quick Reply