Apr 02, 2016, 04:15 AM
Discussion

Great Planes QuikV6 Q500

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFTPP&P=ML
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2016, 01:14 PM
NMPRA 34C
Looks good!

Internal push rods on an ARF Quickie...NICE!

Dave
Apr 02, 2016, 03:14 PM
Internal pushrods and designed/built so no structural modifications are needed to handle 426. They're built just like Jim Allen's 2014 Nats winner.
Apr 03, 2016, 07:53 AM
Looks Great, what a great alternative to the Viper.
Apr 03, 2016, 08:32 AM

Finally...

Yes, finally.... I was pleasantly surprised to see that at Toledo. fair price too.
good to know that the ole woodys can come back and compete with the pricey composites!!
cant wait to hear of the V6 progress
Apr 03, 2016, 09:40 AM
NMPRA 34C
Is it Jim's airfoil?

Dave
Apr 03, 2016, 11:25 AM
Yes.
Apr 03, 2016, 03:26 PM
Seems like a pretty fair price for an ARF that's already 426 capable without having to do a bunch of mods.. Beats the price of composite airframes!
Apr 03, 2016, 10:02 PM
The cool thing about this kit is, the instructions show how to do a sport set-up AND a complete 426 set-up with the Jett and fuel shutoff and all. Pushrods are shown as the wire in a tube that are supplied with the kit but they also show how to do carbon pushrods too. The carbon pushrods are not supplied in the kit. Even shows how to install a Tettra tank too. Following the instructions a newcomer can end up with a competitive airplane out of the box.

Tim Lampe worked this project for GP R&D and did a great job on the instructions. It really benefited from his pylon experiences the last couple of years.

All of the Great Planes/Hobbico folks were great to work with on this project, just like the Proud Bird EF1. They let me be involved through the whole project to make sure it's what the market really needs.

Jim Allen
Apr 04, 2016, 01:59 AM
Nice Job Jim! I think it is great for two reasons. It is a nice option for current racers, and the availability/cost will help bring in new entries!
Apr 04, 2016, 11:21 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
OUTSTANDING!!! So happy to see this!

Congrats, Jim -- and thanks, Tim! Hope you guys sell a million of 'em!
Apr 04, 2016, 11:31 AM
NMPRA 34C
Nice work, Jim.

The fact you were willing to turn over years of R&D on you own design, shows your unselfish commitment to growing the sport.

Cheers, Dave
Apr 04, 2016, 11:39 AM
Wandering IT geek
Hmmm... This may force me to fly 426. Mebbe one of the west coast folks has a spare starter box I can get for cheap???

@Jim - Thanks for selling the design to Hobbico so that those interested in competing have an economical and readily available aircraft so it's easier to make the jump upwards.
Apr 04, 2016, 11:45 AM
"Have that removed!"
I don't know why a link to the instruction manual doesn't yet appear on the Tower Hobbies page for this plane. It should soon. When you can view the instruction manual that will provide the greatest insight as to how the plane is designed and goes together. There should also be a video posted soon - we captured some footage back around September if memory serves. Nothing none of you hasn't seen before. It's just me flying the plane (with my personal Jett QJ-1 engine borrowed from one of my Viper 500s) around a simulated course (part of my F5D practice course), but will give you more looks at the plane.

Thanks for your kind words Jim about my contribution to the manual. My favorite parts are the complete history of the evolution of the Quik-V6 and the flight trimming guide therein.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Apr 04, 2016, 12:02 PM
Yes, this is great news!!! Congrats to all for making this happen.

DK