Apr 01, 2016, 02:43 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

HB P1001 1/10 RTR Rock Crawler Closer Look

My HB P1001 arrived today. First thing I did was plug it in and test to see if it has proportional controls. The answer is yes, and no. The throttle is semi proportional, and has 6 different steps. The steering is non proportional. The cage and interior feel like decent quality vinyl, and the body panels are thin and flexible. Either PVC or Lexan, not sure which but they should hold up well to abuse. It is a little faster than I was expecting. When the throttle is punched from a stand still, it will turn over all four tires before launching pretty hard. I haven't had a chance to get it on any rocks yet, but from the driving I've done, it seems like it will crawl well enough to be fun. I think this is going to be a great vehicle for young ones looking to get a crawler. Anyway, enough rambling, and on to the pics.

EDIT: We finally had a brief break from the freezing rain and snow. Rocks in my yard are still under water, but I was able to get a quick video at the vacant place next door.

HB P1001 1/10 RTR Rock Crawler Trail Truck (1 min 25 sec)
Last edited by fastmax; Jun 01, 2016 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2016, 01:03 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Pics added
Apr 02, 2016, 01:37 PM
Bash the planet!!
Looks like junk to me. Cheap electronics, cheap plastic, and I'm will g to bet the gear train is either plastic, or cheap pot metal. Non proportional throttle and steering makes for a horrible crawler.

Edit: who puts the on/off switch on the skid plate? lol.
Apr 02, 2016, 01:42 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
The Maisto Rock Crawler is also non proportional, is smaller, and is thoroughly enjoyed by thousands of people.
Apr 02, 2016, 04:00 PM
Bash the planet!!
I'm not saying it can't be enjoyable. It's just not a good crawler. The Maisto crawler is also junk. Both are toy grade rc's. They even sell the Maisto in the toy section at Walmart.
Apr 02, 2016, 04:09 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
They are definitely toy grade, but IMO that doesn't necessarily mean that they are junk. For how little they cost, one can hardly expect a quality, hobby grade crawler. Toy grade RC's have their place, and quite often bring many newcomers to the wonderful world of RC model building.
Apr 10, 2016, 11:33 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
My nephews had a blast playing with this truck yesterday. I charged the battery 6 times lol. I think I might need to build, or buy a couple more packs for it before they come over again.
Apr 12, 2016, 10:24 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Looks like the weather will be decent enough to get this thing out for a quick video today.
Apr 15, 2016, 11:24 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quick video added to first post.
Apr 19, 2016, 06:24 AM
Car Bashing
Seems works pretty nice for that price.
Apr 19, 2016, 07:21 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
It really does. I am thoroughly surprised by how well it runs. Seems to be holding up well too. I've handed the controller to several kids now between the ages of 4 and 8. They have run it into anything, and everything, and after all the abuse it's still going strong.
Apr 24, 2016, 09:25 AM
How long the battery ??
Apr 24, 2016, 09:27 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
The included 800mah battery runs for about 30 minutes per charge. I am looking into battery packs that fit the tray that are around 1200mah to 1500mah and will post back as soon as I find some.
Apr 26, 2016, 09:40 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Well, I'm happy to say that the truck has withstood another day of abuse at the hands of the nephews. 6 more charge cycles went through it Saturday, and it's still going strong. Lots of tumbles, and full speed runs into trees and rail road ties. I really need to get some extra batteries ordered.
May 19, 2016, 06:10 PM
Technomancer
Cool, it looks to have some potential. If you were to swap out the servo, esc and tx/rx combo I bet it would be a half decent crawler for under $100. With the MOA setup you could even add a dig feature.

I found this on youtube...

HB-P1001 crawler. Electronics swap. (9 min 26 sec)

Also I found out that the wheels screw on, no hexes, so not easily interchangeable, which is really putting me off buying one I have to say
Last edited by valiantGLX; May 19, 2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply