Mar 31, 2016, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Phoenix Stuka 120

I was looking for something different and the Stuka caught my eye. I liked the idea of no retracts to worry about and the easy to transport size.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2016, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
It looks like the kit is a re-worked kit from Black Horse. it has had some major changes. A lift off canopy for flight battery access. tail wheel and main landing gear struts are new and the vertical fin is also changed. I'm not sure about how robust the flaps and ailerons will be. so here we go.
Apr 01, 2016, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Printed PVC covering includes panel lines and other scale markings that really make this model stand out. The distinctive gull wing, fuselage and tail group are fully sheeted over a built up construction. The plug in wings have 6 hatches to house 4 flap and 2 aileron servos driving the distinctive under slung flap and ailerons that are already factory installed, its difficult to line them up to the wing, so setting up a straight edge on the datum line of the wing ( datum line is the centre line of the air foil section) getting them close and then matching surfaces or though the right flap had a slight twist so I concentrated on getting the ailerons right and worked back into the root. then on to the landing gear
Last edited by propwas1; Apr 02, 2016 at 03:15 AM.
Apr 02, 2016, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
The main landing gear struts are a very heavy duty affair, and the mounting points in the wing use thick plywood blocks and bracings to spread the landing loads on the wing. There is a problem with the tyres hitting the throat of the strut and I had to grind the tyre diameter down to suite. Quite a bit of plywood reinforcing has been added to all high stress areas of the wheel pants and mounting ring for greater durability.. Fitting the wheel pants is straight forward and hard point bocks in the wing give the mounting screws a solid base to bit into. The amount of clearance between the pants and the ground can be adjusted, and I set mine to the height of the axle for good ground clearance. I used a pin to find the slots for wing mounted bomb racks glued them in place. I did leave the bombs off while I’m working on the plane to save any hanger rash, and I also used screws to hold the bombs in the racks just in case they get damaged and
Apr 02, 2016, 06:32 AM
Thread OP
I love the 4 stroke sound on a scale plane so I went for my old faithful pumped OS120, and mounted it inverted on the supplied nylon engine mounts with no side thrust adjustments, and for a safer idle I added an on board glow unit inside the engine box.
Apr 04, 2016, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
with the OS 120 fitting inverted its down to the back and tail feathers
Apr 04, 2016, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
Another great eye catching Stuka feature is the plastic end caps that I think are part of the dive system on the full size counterpart and the elevators installed the rudder is fitted. The tail wheel assembly is the ugliest tail wheel you could ever put on a semi scale plane, while it keeps the weight down in the rear there must be something better that could be supplied. The tiller arm mounting slots are factory cut into the rudder and the main base screws straight on to the fuselage.
Apr 04, 2016, 05:33 AM
Thread OP
A check of the 111mm centre of gravity and the Stuka was tail heavy without the cowl and prop. To add some nose weight I used two sub C batteries to power the on board glow driver, mounting them on top of the engine box and fitted the 5cell receiver pack inside the engine box/ fuel tank bay. servos drop in with no problems
Apr 04, 2016, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
just about done, and with a week off work now over assembly is just about done. the basic cockpit really lets the Stuka down.
Apr 04, 2016, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
just waiting for some good weather
Apr 04, 2016, 05:56 AM
Thread OP
I didn't run the muffler on the OS 120P for a little extra bark and as I opened the throttle The Stuka jumped into the air and needed a lot of down trim and the 120 is just right and sounds tuff. rolls are not fast but more scale like and dives down to the deck as the prop growls was fun. loops require a little right rudder so you may want to add some right thrust. land was the hardest as the Stuka doesn't want to land and floats on a lot, even low approaches seem to just float in, so I got a bit of height and dropped the flaps and in it came love it.
Apr 05, 2016, 08:07 AM
KK4NZS / RP sUAS
WOOOOWEEE Where did you get the kit from? last time I checked none of the US stores carried them.
Last edited by Nelapaty; Apr 05, 2016 at 09:31 AM.
Apr 06, 2016, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
World Hobbies Aust. Got the last one until new stock comes in. I really like it, great fun , but tricky to land
Last edited by propwas1; Apr 06, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
Apr 07, 2016, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by propwas1
World Hobbies Aust. Got the last one until new stock comes in. I really like it, great fun , but tricky to land

Hehehe I think someone put the plastic gun covers on the wrong side wings
Apr 07, 2016, 08:35 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminater
Hehehe I think someone put the plastic gun covers on the wrong side wings

Quick Reply