Mar 31, 2016, 04:41 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Discussion

Tower Ultimate Bipe

Ohhh.... I'm really liking the looks of this one. But it's still several months away. The sleek and sexy lines of the Ultimate have always attracted me. The smaller, long discontinued Electrafly Ultimate was a lovely little plane and one of my favorite bipes. But does this one seem a little heavy for its size?

http://towerhobbies.com/products/towa2050.html
Last edited by dbc; Mar 31, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2016, 09:24 PM
Hi Dave,

The Ultimate looks good! I notice the listed wing loading is 16-20 ounces per square foot. The Phoenix Tiger 3 is listed at 19.66 ounces per square foot and the Phoenix Spacewalker is listed at 24.9 ounces per square foot.

You have both the Tiger and the Spacewalker. It would seem this Ultimate isn't too badly loaded at all. The only thing to watch would be the added drag from the two wings when things slow down. Come in with some throttle and that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope you pick up an ultimate and do your usual mini review!
Apr 05, 2016, 03:34 PM
subscribed... need a bipe... I will follow the leader...

Jun 10, 2016, 08:23 AM
I'm bookmarking this thread

Really interested in this plane, but I will wait until it's been out for a while & some input gets posted here.

I don't want to be a Guinea Pig on this one.
Jun 12, 2016, 11:47 PM
Seagull models (now Sig) has a 90 type sized I bought back in 2006 that was one of my favorites and they still sell the same ARF. Although I have quite a few electric models I generally go glow or gas 46 and up. As soon as Tower gets them in Stock I'm going to pull the trigger!

They are saying late July but I bet it goes well into August before they start selling.

Brian
Jun 13, 2016, 12:14 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
saw this bird flying at SEFF, looked nice and handled well, more sport than 3d but I can throw it around I'm sure!
Jun 26, 2016, 01:27 PM
Tower bumped availability to mid August. Glad I didn't pre-order.
Jul 25, 2016, 06:28 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I just saw the video of the Ultimate - powered electric. Looks to be a real nice flyer. I'm definitely liking this one. Shouldn't be too long now

Raw Performance: Tower Hobbies Ultimate Bipe GP/EP ARF (2 min 29 sec)
Jul 28, 2016, 07:17 PM
One would hope it comes to us soon but the time frame just keeps going up. It did say early August and now it's Mid August. My guess it won't be available until closer to the end of September. I wanted this model too but the Seagull Ultimate is bigger and priced slightly less than the TH ultimate and has an electric option as well. They unveiled the TH ultimate back in May and all these months later it's still not avalible.
Aug 12, 2016, 04:11 PM
In stock. That took a while...
Aug 14, 2016, 04:50 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Are you considering one, Jay? I studied the Seagull Ultimate but I think I still prefer this TH one.

I haven't committed to the purchase yet; and if anyone has gotten theirs I'd sure like to see some pictures of the components and comments on the quality.
Aug 14, 2016, 09:28 PM
I will wait and watch Dave. Maybe catch a sale or a scratch and dent. I need to get more built and keep thinning the heard. This one did catch my attention. I have never had an Ultimate.
Aug 17, 2016, 08:38 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Seagull planes typically build heavier than the lighter weight of this bird
Aug 21, 2016, 07:04 AM
I received mine on Friday and I am hoping to fly it today. There are several technical issues with what the web site recommends for parts and what it really uses for parts. The servos for the elevator and rudder are standard size servos. You could use standards for the ailerons but mini servos make sense if you are using 4. The 20" 'Y' connector for the top and bottom wing servos is way too long. A 10" would be better. The spinner is 2-1/2" in case anyone needs to know(no info on the site when I ordered mine and the stock spinner hits the trash every time for me). I'll try to get some pics posted...

Leopard brushless 460kv motor
ZTW Beatles 70a ESC
14x7 APC prop
6s 5300 mah Glacier Lipo
Hitec HS-425BB(elevator and rudder)

I used Evolution stand off mounts for my motor and it is a perfect fit. I combined two lengths and there is no vibration at all.
Standoff Gas Engine Mount, 45mm EVO3308
Standoff Gas Engine Mount, 20mm EVO3310
Hitec HS-225BB(ailerons - 4 servos)
Last edited by FlyBigElectric; Apr 28, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
Aug 21, 2016, 09:02 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
A two day assembly is pretty fast! Either you worked very long hours, or the plane is an easier assembly then I imagined. Looks really nice in your pictures. I'm liking this one a lot.

Did the covering look tight out-of-the-box? Any surface warpage? So the fuse servo cutouts are already sized for standards but the wings are sized for minis?

Please post a flight report after maiden.

Quick Reply