Sep 03, 2016, 02:44 PM
I'm looking to convert some of my own Hot Wheels to RC

You're posts are inspiration and a great guide. Thanks for presenting us your work.
Last edited by Nemesu; Sep 06, 2016 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2016, 04:40 AM
Thread OP

Lowrider RC 1/64 scale 65 Impala

RC IMPALA LOWRIDER 1/64 scale 3 wheeling, roll and lift. (0 min 47 sec)

RC LOWRIDER mechanical 1/64 scale 65 IMPALA (0 min 22 sec)

Low rider mechanical 1/64 scale (0 min 41 sec)

My latest design LOWRIDER has 5 servos for ....
Steering.
Drive.
Rear lift.
Rear roll.
Front lift.
It has two lipos, switch and socket, receiver, pivot front suspension, steering mechanism, front lift mechanism, rear lift mechanism, rear roll mechanism.
Took about 2 - 3 days to figure out a working design and draw it all up, then about 50 hours to build.
Last edited by vtolman; Sep 16, 2016 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Add video link
Sep 16, 2016, 02:34 PM
Luck is my skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtolman

My latest design LOWRIDER has 5 servos for ....
Steering.
Drive.
Rear lift.
Rear roll.
Front lift.
It has two lipos, switch and socket, receiver, pivot front suspension, steering mechanism, front lift mechanism, rear lift mechanism, rear roll mechanism.
Took about 2 - 3 days to figure out a working design and draw it all up, then about 50 hours to build.
So dayam pimp!
Sep 18, 2016, 03:58 PM
great work. can you show how the parts fit together for your steering servo?
Sep 18, 2016, 07:06 PM
Thread OP

Steering

Most of my cars need 19mm king pin centers (same for tie Rod holes) so the steering knuckles clear the 13.5mm wide servo when steering 45 deg.
I have very skinny wheels on the lowrider so I did 18mm so it could steer 45 deg when down low inside the fenders.
I dremel inside the fenders very thin so the wheels clear also.
Most steering knuckle hole centers (tie rod link to King pin measurement) viewed from top are 4mm.
Axil hole is inbetween and it just clears the king pin as close as you can do it without binding.
I use the red RP7 spray nossle tubes and drill right through the wheels with a 2mm bit then I press them in and trim off the inside so it has about .5mm protruding so the wheels don't rub on the steering knuckles ( so no washer needed)
I use original Hot Wheels axils cut in two pieces for both the front axils and king pins (0.8mm)
I have a different setup also - see my YouTube video of steering setup but I don use it anymore as I like the servo fixed not pivoting as it saves room and lower profile car.
Last edited by vtolman; Nov 22, 2016 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added pics
Sep 23, 2016, 01:25 AM
Thank you for the pics of your steering setup. I'm currently using 2 linear servos scrapped from my helis for drive and steering, but will probably use your servo steering setup to free up more room for the electronics.
Sep 23, 2016, 06:01 AM
Thread OP

70 Camaro

I just finished this Camaro and I find this steering design works well for low profile cars and limited space.
Fixed steering servo to the chassis and a pivoting flat axil bar for suspension
RC 1/64 scale 1970 Camaro (0 min 50 sec)
Sep 23, 2016, 10:47 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRooney
Thank you for the pics of your steering setup. I'm currently using 2 linear servos scrapped from my helis for drive and steering, but will probably use your servo steering setup to free up more room for the electronics.
Is that a Faller axle? I mount mine on a length of 1mm rod from the chassis which gives me some articulation and flexibility for "suspension". Also never thought of using a linear servo for a drive gearbox. It must have a very high top speed but I have noticed that even with a 1:80 reduction the 4mm motors have almost zero torque.
Oct 09, 2016, 08:06 AM

Great thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtolman
I just finished this Camaro and I find this steering design works well for low profile cars and limited space.
Fixed steering servo to the chassis and a pivoting flat axil bar for suspension
https://youtu.be/LUB9QjQoI4g
Nice work, have you tried FPV, that would be really cool. I had a go at adding FPV to a 1:72 scale tank, it was already RC'ed.
micro tank FPV (2 min 54 sec)

I think I will be digging out my old car collection and trying out some die cast conversions.
Oct 11, 2016, 11:01 AM

1:43 4X4 rock crawler

1:43 micro rc rock crawler (4 min 12 sec)

1:43 micro rock crawler # 2 (8 min 1 sec)

1:43 4 X 4 AWD (0 min 14 sec)

1:43 4X4 AWD Lights (0 min 50 sec)
Oct 20, 2016, 06:22 PM
You have all got to be fkn kidding me.
Oct 20, 2016, 09:16 PM
I'm BIG on micros
It's really not all that hard. I was intimidated at first but after some research and being able to adapt some other components it is rather simple
Oct 21, 2016, 11:24 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
these are simply amazing, you have great skills bud!
Nov 21, 2016, 12:58 PM
Hi there. Could you please provide details on how to get the motor (servo motor) setup and working please? Do you have some video on how to setup the motor? Thanks.
Nov 22, 2016, 09:33 AM
Thread OP

PZ15320 Pingzheng micro servo drive conversion

PZ15320 drive servo conversion slideshow (0 min 31 sec)

Pingzheng PZ-15320 modified Drive servo (0 min 11 sec)

You can go to the youtube website and google this video called ... PZ15320 drive servo conversion slide show and read the instructions in the first comment under the video.
Reassemble it clean free of dust etc and be careful not to loose the tiny gears.
Good luck .... It's not easy I'm sorry to say.
Last edited by vtolman; Nov 22, 2016 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply