NEW - Hobbyking Quanum Chaotic 3D Quad - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 14, 2016, 12:32 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"

BEWARE of ISSUES WITH THIS QUAD

OK guys... finally got my new order of replacement props from Hobbyking after stock props snapped during install and removal...brittle. Ok, Gemfans installed and maidened today,

First flight on 3S 2200 just to try out.... flew great. No issues.

Second flight on 4S 2200 ...flew great, was happy with quad and really liked how it flew.

Things started acting up....

Third flight on 4S 2200.... in general flew just like flight #2, except I saw a couple of flight glitches like it was trying to flip the quad in a turn (when in easy flight mode- level only no flip). Saw this happen 3-4 times... mental note but was not too concerned...yet.

Fourth flight on 4S 2200.... started out great, then started to push it a bit harder up to about 2 minute mark and quad went into an uncontrolled oscillation and then full throttle to about 200 ft and then shut off (no TX controls at all as it fell back to earth on its lid).

HOBBYKING WE HAVE AN ISSUE AND MY NEW QUAD IS DAMAGED AND UNSAFE. At least I am now questioning reliability as this event was an uncontrolled crash.

Photos... no carbon damage (that I see), all 4 props broke... motors locked (more than likely magnets or just overall MUD PACK... will need to rinse them all out and see if they still spin). RX pins bent when fuselage body crushed and broke off of frame upon impact).

So now I an very unsure about this quad and scared to fly it anywhere where it could fly away and hurt people or property.

HOBBYKING - IF YOU ARE OUT THERE AND READING THIS...I COULD USE SOME HELP. SUCKS HAVING A QUAD FOR ONLY 4 FLIGHTS. PLEASE PM ME. THANKS.
Last edited by kydawg1; May 14, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2016, 08:18 PM
Do you have the RTF version or did you use your own radio? Only asking for information.
Sounds like radio interference or loss of signal. Not being there I really have no place to give a great answer. I will be installing my radio this week and testing mine out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1
OK guys... finally got my new order of replacement props from Hobbyking after stock props snapped during install and removal...brittle. Ok, Gemfans installed and maidened today,

First flight on 3S 2200 just to try out.... flew great. No issues.

Second flight on 4S 2200 ...flew great, was happy with quad and really liked how it flew.

Things started acting up....

Third flight on 4S 2200.... in general flew just like flight #2, except I saw a couple of flight glitches like it was trying to flip the quad in a turn (when in easy flight mode- level only no flip). Saw this happen 3-4 times... mental note but was not too concerned...yet.

Fourth flight on 4S 2200.... started out great, then started to push it a bit harder up to about 2 minute mark and quad went into an uncontrolled oscillation and then full throttle to about 200 ft and then shut off (no TX controls at all as it fell back to earth on its lid).

HOBBYKING WE HAVE AN ISSUE AND MY NEW QUAD IS DAMAGED AND UNSAFE. At least I am now questioning reliability as this event was an uncontrolled crash.

Photos... no carbon damage (that I see), all 4 props broke... motors locked (more than likely magnets or just overall MUD PACK... will need to rinse them all out and see if they still spin). RX pins bent when fuselage body crushed and broke off of frame upon impact).

So now I an very unsure about this quad and scared to fly it anywhere where it could fly away and hurt people or property.

HOBBYKING - IF YOU ARE OUT THERE AND READING THIS...I COULD USE SOME HELP. SUCKS HAVING A QUAD FOR ONLY 4 FLIGHTS. PLEASE PM ME. THANKS.
May 14, 2016, 08:44 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I bought the RTF version.... out of the box set up. Issue with signal loss is that this happened all withing 150 feet from me and the flight control glitch was not signal loss issue as I was still in control until the full throttle incident.

For your RX make sure the antennas are up off the carbon fiber frame (I did this with the stock RX antennas) On all my race quads I use long antennas and tape them up on nylon ties. Works great with no signal loss issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
Do you have the RTF version or did you use your own radio? Only asking for information.
Sounds like radio interference or loss of signal. Not being there I really have no place to give a great answer. I will be installing my radio this week and testing mine out.
May 15, 2016, 05:14 AM
JDZ
JDZ
That sucks - I was loving mine - took it out yesterday and it won't arm any more - it's like the controller won't initialise. If anyone has one - can you tell me if the green light on the Madcow should be lit when armed. I have had it such a short amount of time I'm not sure if it was on or not. I am frustrated as I was liking this quad a lot now it's dead... Will try new reciever etc when I get the time and see if I can get it to work. Otherwise may need a new controller as well.
Last edited by JDZ; May 15, 2016 at 06:23 AM.
May 15, 2016, 09:34 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDZ
That sucks - I was loving mine - took it out yesterday and it won't arm any more - it's like the controller won't initialise. If anyone has one - can you tell me if the green light on the Madcow should be lit when armed. I have had it such a short amount of time I'm not sure if it was on or not. I am frustrated as I was liking this quad a lot now it's dead... Will try new reciever etc when I get the time and see if I can get it to work. Otherwise may need a new controller as well.
Just another example that Hobbyking may have an issue here.

They need to step up and fix what is going on and make things right if there is an issue.

At my field I have stopped multiple purchases from other pilots due to these issues.
Last edited by kydawg1; May 19, 2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo
May 16, 2016, 12:37 AM
This looks like it's going to be another no spares, no support item from Quanum/Hobbyking. I went to the Quanum website and the only vehicle listed there is the nova, I sent them an email asking them if they were ever going to release spares for their other models and have not had a reply. It's a shame, they have released some great models but only seem interested in offering spares and support for the nova.
Jun 06, 2016, 06:19 AM
JDZ
JDZ
Has anyone got any updates on this quad? Interested to hear any other feedback good or bad?
Jun 06, 2016, 11:27 AM
I didn't buy the Chaotic but I bought the Madcow controller. I'll share my experience so far hoping to help others out there. Maybe someone can help me too. :-)

My setup:

• 4mm CF 210 sized frame (RMRC Goby 210)
  • DYS 1806-2300 motors
  • 20A Favourite Little Bee ESCs
  • Matek power board with 5V & 12V BECs.
  • 3S 1300 Lipo

1. First problem I had was ESCs wouldn't initialize. I had to use BL Heli Suite to reprogram the ESC min and max throttle to 1100 & 1900 to match the Madcow. Once I did that, the ESCs initialized.
  2. Motors run all the time, even when disarmed. Adjusted Throttle deadband in Madcow and throttle midpoint for ESCs in BL Heli and got that working.
  3. "Throttle Cut", which is the switch I have programmed for Arm/Disarm doesn't stop the props if throttle stick isn't at zero for 2D or mid-point for 3D. I don't have a solution for this.
  4. Unpredictable results if modes are switched in-flight. If you go from 2D Attitude to 3D Rattitude when in the air, wear a helmet! You just don't know what the Mad Cow will do but will surely live up to it's name and go Mad! They named this controller appropriately!
  5. For this sized frame, the gains had to be lowered from 100 to 50 to stop oscillations. Lowering the gains in the Parameter menu would be the first thing I'd try if it is acting twitchy.
  6. Reversing was too slow to be useful, I turned on OneShot 125 in the Madcow and Damped Light in the ESC. Everything seemed to work fine on the bench and the props reverse quickly now but when I took it to the field for a maiden flight the motors started spinning immediately when I plugged in the battery. It's odd because this didn't happen when I tested it on the bench. It was fun trying to unplug the battery with the props spinning though... I'll report back when I figure this out but I suspect it is the deadband setting and/or the midpoints shifted when I turned on OneShot.
  7. I haven't tried this quad at 4S yet but I can share some info from my experience with the NAZE32 and iKons. Self-leveling controllers don't like vibration! If the accelerometers get swamped with vibration, they become very unpredictable and may cause the quad to flip over or try to kill itself unexpectedly.

BRLOWE reported that his first flight at 3S worked fine. All his other flights were at 4S. First thing I'd do is fly several more times at 3S. If it works fine, then I'd do a couple of things.
  1. Balance the props. They are spinning 30% faster at 4S so if balance is off just a little, this can be causing enough vibration to make the controller unstable.
  2. If that doesn't fix the problem, try replacing the double sided tape under the Madcow with a vibe pad. Hobby King sells several in different thicknesses as does Lynx. You can also used 2-4 layers of 3M 5 lb. clear silicone tape. They sell it at Walmart and it is great stuff. Peels off with no residue or paper/foam left behind.
That's all I have so far. If anyone has anything to add, please chime in.

Joe

QUOTE=JDZ;34955763]Has anyone got any updates on this quad? Interested to hear any other feedback good or bad?[/QUOTE]
Jun 06, 2016, 12:37 PM
I still have not flown mine much yet and have not had a chance to really let it go fast but I have flown a little in front of my house all with 4s and have not had any issues. It has a ton of power and punches out fast.
When I arm mine nothing happens until I give it a little throttle then the props start to spin. After that point the only way to stop them is to disarm it and then they stop. I like it this way. All my other quads are set to spin the props on arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJoe
BRLOWE reported that his first flight at 3S worked fine. All his other flights were at 4S. First thing I'd do is fly several more times at 3S. If it works fine, then I'd do a couple of things.
  1. Balance the props. They are spinning 30% faster at 4S so if balance is off just a little, this can be causing enough vibration to make the controller unstable.
  2. If that doesn't fix the problem, try replacing the double sided tape under the Madcow with a vibe pad. Hobby King sells several in different thicknesses as does Lynx. You can also used 2-4 layers of 3M 5 lb. clear silicone tape. They sell it at Walmart and it is great stuff. Peels off with no residue or paper/foam left behind.
That's all I have so far. If anyone has anything to add, please chime in.

Joe

QUOTE=JDZ;34955763]Has anyone got any updates on this quad? Interested to hear any other feedback good or bad?
[/QUOTE]
Jun 06, 2016, 01:29 PM
That's the way I like it too. Not much fun trying to reach around spinning props to unplug battery. I'm going to screw with it tonight and see what I come up with.

So what caused your motors to seize up? Was it mud or did magnets break free?

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
I still have not flown mine much yet and have not had a chance to really let it go fast but I have flown a little in front of my house all with 4s and have not had any issues. It has a ton of power and punches out fast.
When I arm mine nothing happens until I give it a little throttle then the props start to spin. After that point the only way to stop them is to disarm it and then they stop. I like it this way. All my other quads are set to spin the props on arm.
[/QUOTE]
Jun 25, 2016, 06:05 PM

mad cow fc

ordered one and would not work. they sent a replacement and still did not work.
Jun 25, 2016, 09:22 PM
What isn't working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalcan933
ordered one and would not work. they sent a replacement and still did not work.
Jun 26, 2016, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, I kept loosing prop bolts midair when doing 3d, so I drilled a hole trough the bolt and screw so I can secure them with a pin.
otherwise its flies really good, the inverse stabilization is really helpful
Jul 27, 2016, 08:36 PM

Software?

I purchased the Hobbyking Quanum Madcow 3D quad a couple of weeks ago. The problem I'm having is it will not hover in a stationary position instead when I let go of the sticks it quickly flys back toward me. Playing around with different Orange TX setting did not change anything. I called hobbyking, told them of the problem, and responded with "you need to recalibrate the accelerometer using the Madcow software' They, unfortunately, didn't have any idea what software I was talking about. Hobbyking has several product videos in which they go thru the process of setting up the quad using the software but nothing as to where and how I can get this *&$%#@!&*^% software. My internet search has been fruitless. Does anyone know where I can download this software? As of now, the quad is pretty much unflyable. I hate to think I paid almost $200.00 for a paperweight.
Jul 27, 2016, 08:59 PM
On the hobbyking site go to the MadCow controller and scroll down to files and download from there

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignuggets
I purchased the Hobbyking Quanum Madcow 3D quad a couple of weeks ago. The problem I'm having is it will not hover in a stationary position instead when I let go of the sticks it quickly flys back toward me. Playing around with different Orange TX setting did not change anything. I called hobbyking, told them of the problem, and responded with "you need to recalibrate the accelerometer using the Madcow software' They, unfortunately, didn't have any idea what software I was talking about. Hobbyking has several product videos in which they go thru the process of setting up the quad using the software but nothing as to where and how I can get this *&$%#@!&*^% software. My internet search has been fruitless. Does anyone know where I can download this software? As of now, the quad is pretty much unflyable. I hate to think I paid almost $200.00 for a paperweight.

Quick Reply