Apr 06, 2018, 08:10 AM

Props 😟😟😟

First initial test flight.

Even before Iíd inserted the battery encountered the first issue. I must admit Iím somewhat disappointed especially as the supplied props have the Gemfan Monica on them. After placing one on the motor I proceeded to tighten the prop nut and the blade snapped off before it was beyond hand tight. Iíd hate to think what could have happened if it did it in flight.

Not the end of the world as I have a box full of XK Airdancer replacement props and though they arenít as ridged as the Gemfans theyíre certainly more forgiving. Iíve had the Airdancer and box of props for over two years and this is the first time Iíve had to break open a new bag of props.

Anywho flight wise, and to bare in mind I was only using a low C 3s pack, the Chaotic appears to have reasonable performance and agility, and even with the replacement floppy props, was very responsive in both upright and inverted flight.

It will be interesting to see the performance on a high C 4S pack in more space at the flying field, it worries my neighbours when I start popping these things in the driveway.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2018, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRyther
@rc_corner
Have you tried the Tarot props on a 4s setup and if so how did they hold up.
I tried the Leap 450 props which look very similar and they failed miserably on 4s.

Yes, I am using the Tarot props on the Tarot 2212 motors. These props are very durable and also extremely efficient, but they are mounted by two screws and will not work on the stock motors. You would have to size the center hole to mount on the stock motors, and not sure how you would cut the slot that stops the props from slipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Taro...MAAOSwdGFYykxC
Apr 06, 2018, 01:11 PM
I am still flying my two Chaotic's from the March sale with no problems as is my coworker. No blades broken & they are the original Gemfan blades. It will be several weeks before the new replacement blades show up from HK due to month long sale over loading their shipping department.

True we are not flying 3D, but cruising around the sky for 4 to 6 minutes is okay for now. My second Chaotic does have a slighty gritty front left motor for now. I oiled it & will keep a close eye on it every flight to see if it gets worse or hot.
Apr 06, 2018, 08:29 PM
I have a set of Cobra 2213 1350kv motors for one of the chaotics and have flashed the esc's to blheli but seem to be having desync or similar problem to sort out. I will order some of the tarot props and give them a go.
Apr 07, 2018, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRyther
I have a set of Cobra 2213 1350kv motors for one of the chaotics and have flashed the esc's to blheli but seem to be having desync or similar problem to sort out. I will order some of the tarot props and give them a go.

Best way to address the desyncs is to upgrade to blheli_32 escs.
Apr 14, 2018, 04:32 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
picked up a couple of these on the HK sale $60 RTF was a steal.

Pulled down the motors and fill the bearing city with scorpion bearing lube and reassemble, motors now much nicer - smoother. Always do this on any new motors these days.

have noted the flaky bind on the orange Rx unit thats for sure, if not bound properly then surging and all sorts of issues, and noted the post that it has to be still during initial bind to get the FC set correctly - detail noted. going to move the RX so the aerials are clear of the CF chassis and body shell.

running through the Madcow software I note that my aileron is only going about 1/3 travel on the screen, assuming I need to run the Tx calibration to get full stick travel reset ?

had a couple of test hovers, all good so far. I see the madcow FC is glued down on a pretty solid rubber pad, thinking to change this out for a better quality gyro pad - that should dampen out more vibes as well.

anyone added a DSM sat receiver into the port on the FC ? does it work ?? needs to check again but didn't see anything in the software about satellite bind etc ?

I see allot people running 3S rather than 4s, I have both in 2200 size so will be interesting to compare. test hovers have been on the 3S, pretty easy. Just done some bench runs on 4S also.

I saw someone running a devo flight model and had sorted the TH to disarm. The return to idle then disarm deal, thats a pain in the butt, my bugs 3 was like that as well........ so if there is a Devo flight model to be shared I'm all ears (have devo 10 with multi module)

looks like a bundle of fun. and if the madcap is indeed "random mad" then easy enough to add another FC, I'm betting a better quality gyro damper pad will better protect the FC unit from vibration.
Apr 14, 2018, 05:27 PM
Looking at the top chassis plate and noting the ďextensionĒ sticking out the front why not rotate the plate 180 and thatís then a perfect extension to get the Rx unit out in the clear ? Canít see any obvious reason for that extension to be out front ?

And even after soaking over night in bearing oil one motor is still a bit noisey. Time to pull the second unit and steal one off this for now.

Bearings are 8od x 3id and ? 2-3 mm deep ? Anyone done a swap for something better bearing wise
Apr 14, 2018, 09:45 PM
Northwestern U.S.
Good idea rotating the bottom plate.
Apr 16, 2018, 02:28 AM
Anyone know the motor bearing size. Looks like 3 x 8 x 3 as a std size just no easy way to confirm the depth without pulling it apart !

Guessing one out of eight motors isn’t to bad
Apr 16, 2018, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
My second Chaotic does have a slighty gritty front left motor for now. I oiled it & will keep a close eye on it every flight to see if it gets worse or hot.
Lol same, maybe its dud motors go front left on the assembly line !

gotta wonder donít ya, quick spin of the motors by hand is all it takes to tell and yeah not flash there. I soaked mine all weekend in scorpion bearing lube, cursing now I didnít measure it up when I had it apart..,,
Apr 16, 2018, 07:47 PM

Devo ini

You can find my Chaotic model ini's for the Devo 7e & 12e here.
https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/mo...ler-help#64465.

I use FrSky so channel order may need changing and switches to suit your own preferences.
Apr 16, 2018, 09:57 PM
cool , anyone got a Devo 10 model - ini to share ??
Apr 17, 2018, 01:21 AM
Devo 12e is the same as Devo10 for this model ini. AFAIK The 12e and 10 are the same radio except the 12e has two extra pots

I fly mode 2
Throttle hold/Arm-Disarm on Ele D/R switch and 3 flight modes on Mix switch.
Apr 18, 2018, 03:42 PM
Cool, loaded and customised to my preferences on rx reciever, switches etc now to test it ! Thanks

Once sorted will offer it back for others

Really excited about this quad
Last edited by kiwi_craig; Apr 18, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Apr 20, 2018, 11:19 AM

Arming problem

I have 3 Chaotic's, 1 is rtr with the Orangerx T6, it is ok , one of the others, I have installed an orangerx r610v2 receiver using ppm and on the tx I copied model 1 to model 2 and bound the r610v2 to model 2. in the Madcow software under rc all controls work, switch for 3 modes works, arm switch shows full scale travel when moved from disarm to arm. but in status the box shows disarmed and will not arm. what is wrong? Your help in this matter is appreciated.
thanks, Wayne

Quick Reply