NEW - Hobbyking Quanum Chaotic 3D Quad - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 19, 2016, 07:46 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I too ordered and extra FC.... I hope you figure that one out. Keep us posted.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2016, 03:54 PM
I bought the frame kit and a FC. Going to put motors I have on it. Now just to wait for the slow boat from China..
Apr 21, 2016, 11:35 PM
Can't get mine to work with my dx9
Apr 22, 2016, 12:36 AM
SAR
The F210 racer has also gone 3D too, with bi-directional ESC, cleanflight F3
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2643795
Apr 23, 2016, 07:59 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrone
The F210 racer has also gone 3D too, with bi-directional ESC, cleanflight F3
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2643795

Yes that too is pretty cool.
Apr 24, 2016, 11:08 PM
JDZ
JDZ
I have not had a chance to fly mine yet due to weather. But I have now installed props ( took care and they were all fine ). I bought the ready to fly version and I am pleased to say that everything appears to be perfect out of the box. I spooled it up in my garage - it felt like it wanted to fly just at idle - it may need a couple of clicks of negative throttle trim - but all switches worked and all modes appeared to work fine.

Initial thoughts are - mine if finished perfect - it's a true ready to run - put battery in and go. It appears to have heaps of power ( only a flight will truly tell ).

So far I am very very happy and it is a lot better than I was expecting .... Can't wait to fly it. I hope they bring out a clear canopy for it so I can change the colours...
Apr 25, 2016, 12:03 AM
I ordered mine today. I got the PNP version as I really did not need another radio. I ordered spare props and a spare FC to put in another X frame I have. I almost ordered a Blade 200qx but at $220 for the quad, another $80 for a good frame and $13 for a set of 3D props I was better with the chaotic. $13 for 4props is crazy.
Apr 25, 2016, 01:03 AM
Going to try again on my mini quad later this week stay tuned..
Latest blog entry: Yunnec Typhoon H Review
Apr 30, 2016, 02:59 AM
JDZ
JDZ
Well I took mine out today and got two packs through it.

Wind was a bit gusty - but the quad flew fantastic. I am a beginner quad pilot - so I stayed in the basic flight mode. This thing has heaps of power - super responsive even in the first flight mode. Felt much bigger in the air than it looks.

Overall I can't wait to get it out again - I was on 4s 2200 packs finished at 3.72 volts per cell after a 6 min flight.

This thing seems to be very good value for money and the flight controller seemed rock solid.

If they bring one to the Aussie warehouse I will order a second one.

Looking forward to seeing others peoples thoughts.
Apr 30, 2016, 09:02 AM
Mine is on the way, hope it gets here this week. Can't wait to try it out.
May 01, 2016, 11:34 AM

Madcow Flight Controller

I've been trying to configure one of these with my Aerial Freaks Hyper 280. Some asked the advantage of this over a NAZE32. They main advantage (providing I can make it work) is that it has a 3D Horizon mode. So it can self-level inverted as well as upright. The NAZE32 can self-level only upright. Beyond that, it is not nearly as configurable as a NAZE32. For example, you cannot change the orientation of the FC in the software. It must be mounted upright with connectors to the rear. Also, you cannot bind a satellite receiver while connected to the Madcow. You must use a NAZE32 or another means (standalone receiver, etc) to bind the sat to your radio before you plug it into the Madcow. Once you do that, you just plug it in and connect the USB cable and you can setup the Madcow. The FC and sat can be powered from the USB cable. I was able to setup calibrate my DX-9 no problem. The Madcow uses Aux1 for flight mode and Aux2 for arm/disarm. The problem I am having is that I cannot get my ESCs to initialize or arm. I notice on the RC screen that the Min is 342-348 and the Max is over 2000. I'm used to setting 1000-2000 but I can't seem to get my endpoints to what the Madcow wants to see. I can move the endpoints to get 1000-2000 but after I run the calibration the Madcow still shows 342-348 for the min. I've attached a screenshot. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. One last note, the ESCs are not initializing properly. I get the first 3 initialization tones but no final tone. I can't see a way to calibrate them to the controller and that may be the problem. I've tried the motor test but nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
Mine is on the way, hope it gets here this week. Can't wait to try it out.
May 11, 2016, 04:11 AM
JDZ
JDZ
I am loving this quad - had 4 more packs through it - super super stable. Has anyone bound one to a DX8? Would like to change over from the transmitter it came with.

It's quicker than I was expecting ....
May 11, 2016, 07:49 AM
Just an update to my previous post. I've been told the MadCow won't work with SimonK. I tried it with Favourite Little Bee ESC using BL Heli and they armed fine. I installed this on a friends quad. So far, he has just hovered it inside but we fly tomorrow so it should be coming out and I can give a better report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJoe
I've been trying to configure one of these with my Aerial Freaks Hyper 280. Some asked the advantage of this over a NAZE32. They main advantage (providing I can make it work) is that it has a 3D Horizon mode. So it can self-level inverted as well as upright. The NAZE32 can self-level only upright. Beyond that, it is not nearly as configurable as a NAZE32. For example, you cannot change the orientation of the FC in the software. It must be mounted upright with connectors to the rear. Also, you cannot bind a satellite receiver while connected to the Madcow. You must use a NAZE32 or another means (standalone receiver, etc) to bind the sat to your radio before you plug it into the Madcow. Once you do that, you just plug it in and connect the USB cable and you can setup the Madcow. The FC and sat can be powered from the USB cable. I was able to setup calibrate my DX-9 no problem. The Madcow uses Aux1 for flight mode and Aux2 for arm/disarm. The problem I am having is that I cannot get my ESCs to initialize or arm. I notice on the RC screen that the Min is 342-348 and the Max is over 2000. I'm used to setting 1000-2000 but I can't seem to get my endpoints to what the Madcow wants to see. I can move the endpoints to get 1000-2000 but after I run the calibration the Madcow still shows 342-348 for the min. I've attached a screenshot. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. One last note, the ESCs are not initializing properly. I get the first 3 initialization tones but no final tone. I can't see a way to calibrate them to the controller and that may be the problem. I've tried the motor test but nothing.
May 11, 2016, 02:32 PM
Who told you they will not work with SimonK?
I just got my Chaotic today on right in the manual where it lists the components they list Afro 30A esc with SimonK firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJoe
Just an update to my previous post. I've been told the MadCow won't work with SimonK. I tried it with Favourite Little Bee ESC using BL Heli and they armed fine. I installed this on a friends quad. So far, he has just hovered it inside but we fly tomorrow so it should be coming out and I can give a better report.
May 11, 2016, 02:48 PM
Interesting. Someone posted that they had trouble making the Madcow work with SimonK. I did so much searching trying to find answers the day I was working on it that I don't recall where I read it. The ESCs from the Hyper 280 wouldn't initialize though and the Little Bees worked fine. It can't be the chipset because the Afros use Atmel and the Little Bees use Silabs and both seem to work fine. Maybe the bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
Who told you they will not work with SimonK?
I just got my Chaotic today on right in the manual where it lists the components they list Afro 30A esc with SimonK firmware.

Quick Reply