Rock Breaker - Page 61 - RC Groups
Feb 11, 2018, 03:51 AM
Rock Breaker

Tail breaker maiden

Got to the slope to find what I suspected. Good breeze blowing just not much power in it. The boys were flying Ahi and Vagabond, silly foamie stuff.
I powered up ready to maiden. CG 71 same as the plank version weight 625g. The boys landed thinking she won't fly is this lift. Out she went, gentle on the stick a few clicks of trim and sweet was holding altitude. Work her gently find some more height. Go for a loop lol dead as elevator very nose heavy.
Land and remove nose weight. Getting better.
Remove. More weight now CG at 92mm weight 575g a little extra lift and now having fun. Looping rolling cranking turns, well as much as you can in the light lift.
Keen for a bigger breeze day get some speed going.
Elevator seemed a little lacking at times will increase control surface a bit.

A tinny bit of video before phone overflowed
Tailed breaker maiden (1 min 3 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 06:31 AM
Congratulations mate, that looks "kool". I even like the tail in that config.
Feb 11, 2018, 05:58 PM
Because of the size the plane is probably flying faster than it looks.
Looks good and will and most likely fly well in higher wind strengths.
Work of art
Feb 11, 2018, 11:33 PM
It's time for me to fly
Nice. Looks like it flys fine in that wind.
Are you using the PW51 on the tailed version too? Since that's a plank airfoil it has a reflexed trailing edge. You might gain some light-air lift by giving the ailerons a few clicks of camber.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:15 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Awesome Gaz! Definitely pop the ailerons down a little till the top skin it straight and doesn't reflex up. Tailed models will always have a cg much further back than a wing, you may even be able to go back further yet
Feb 12, 2018, 03:28 AM
Rock Breaker
Jim
Pw51 wing and stab. Tail is pw51 top coords and fuse is pw51 bottom coords.

More wind today but still bad angle. Fly the point very small zone, got in deep and just dug out enough to make it a short climb to get plane back.
Move to the lookout, lift still not good enough to think CG is maybe now to far aft around 99mm. Had a few clicks of down trim on ailerons to remove reflex. Ended up crashing stalling at top of loop and could pull out fast enough. Hehe all good she is tough.

I'm used to setting up CG on planks move it back until it is super touchy then go forward a bit and reduce throws.. I fly light RB's front face very touchy and add about 5g to nose for DS.
Haven't done enough on standard shape gliders to know how to setup proper CG. Please help.

Elevator control surface is 220 x 15mm or 25% of stab cord as per standard pw51 control surfaces. I'm still thinking of increasing to 20mm or 33% or cord to get better low speed control, any thoughts.

Incidence. I'm a little out flying to nose up will be loosing speed bugger.. been to hot a day to do research now so looking to adjust so wing and stab are perfectly inline. Or should there be some angle on the stab?

Gaza
Feb 12, 2018, 04:32 AM
Rock Breaker
Ken got some video Sunday here is link
Gazas latest creation Feb18 (2 min 1 sec)

Edit
Hehe love the landing just push down into the grass its tough can handle it.
This was the 92mm CG might be about the correct spot felt better than today.
Feb 12, 2018, 04:21 PM
DS Addict
Looks like a sweet flyer Gaz.
Feb 13, 2018, 03:17 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaring Junkie
Looks like a sweet flyer Gaz.
Starting to get her sorted.
Adjusted incidence. Moved CG forward a little and chucked her off the cliff. Had to trim elevator up a few clicks. Getting more lift now out of stab.
Still not lopping very good.
Then I turned off snap flap, hehe that fixed it she came alive. ailerons will still work as elevator, snap flap was overriding elevator stopping the loop, just creating drag.
Got some great banging turns, good loops and rolls. Was having super fun doing low passes behind the lip until some suck down put me in the tree. lol no damage I got cold beer now.

Best cut some clothe make another stab still want to test a bigger elevator.

Stupid hot today apparent temperature went over 44C. Hehe was cool on slope
Feb 13, 2018, 05:43 AM
Did you get my PM?
Feb 16, 2018, 02:35 AM
Rock Breaker
Don't like the look of the tail stab join, I I've machined up a new tail mould.
Hehe worked out how to get 2.5d software to make a 3D shape. A couple of formulas in the correct places in the program. Got my 10deg taper on TE and the cord is scaling from 100-60mm to match stab.
Keeping the 100mm cord at base of tail keeps room for servo. TE angle keeps within the look of the breaker.

Back to rough polishing, then can machine faces to get sharp edges.
Feb 16, 2018, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazasmith
Don't like the look of the tail stab join, I I've machined up a new tail mould.
Hehe worked out how to get 2.5d software to make a 3D shape. A couple of formulas in the correct places in the program. Got my 10deg taper on TE and the cord is scaling from 100-60mm to match stab.
Keeping the 100mm cord at base of tail keeps room for servo. TE angle keeps within the look of the breaker.

Back to rough polishing, then can machine faces to get sharp edges.
maybe you could call it T-ROCK
Feb 16, 2018, 04:15 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Had a pretty hard today and it brushed it. it is barely mark. this thing is tank
Feb 16, 2018, 06:16 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
How's the flying coming back Joe?
Feb 18, 2018, 07:55 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
Had a pretty hard today and it brushed it. it is barely mark. this thing is tank
I take it to be a hard landing.
I've seen RB have some horrendous landings for buggeral damage.

Fly my light today, hasn't been in the air since NZ. Almost forgot how the heart rate rises when flying full crank mode. Need to up my rates it's still in DS mode

Quick Reply