New wing mould
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2016, 03:04 AM
Rock Breaker
first pic paint job of top and blank core
Second pic Piant job of bottom, you can see where I've cut core for spars
Apr 03, 2016, 03:08 AM
Rock Breaker
Old wing mould converted to jig for trimming of cores.
Apr 03, 2016, 03:56 AM
Rock Breaker

Layup

Rock breaker wing layup (2 min 46 sec)
Apr 04, 2016, 03:38 AM
Rock Breaker
This ones looking for a home.
It's not perfect but I'm getting closer.
I'll finish it this week, will be under 600g flying weight.
Half price $100Aus + postage handling and beers.

This would be a good step up plane for someone that has only flown foamies. A cheap way to get a handle on flying faster. A step before expensive carbon planes.
Last edited by gazasmith; Apr 04, 2016 at 03:50 AM.
Apr 05, 2016, 07:23 AM
Rock Breaker

Mould polishing

This is the most unfunny part of building.
A smart person would just leave it to others and buy planes.

My technic is simple.
Scribble all over surface of mould with a texter.
Depending on what finish your starting from as to what grade of paper to start on.
Sand until all texter is gone, be carefully of edges you want sharp.
Clean everything you don't want to pickup a coarser bit of grit from previous grade.
Scribble again and sand with next grade, the texter shows where you haven't sanded enough or scratches that need more work. Also those tight corners show clearly if you've sanded enough.
Apr 05, 2016, 09:33 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Cool project! Did you use foam beds from cutting the wing to make the mold? Is it made from fiberglass? How do you join the 2 halves in the layup? Is there a spar?
Apr 05, 2016, 10:58 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Initially I tried to angle my nose up and to the side, with a haughty hand to brush away "another wing" (I'm REALLY anti-wing FYI)...but you do cool things and tell cool stories, soooo...subscribed.
Apr 06, 2016, 06:37 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Combat Certain
Cool project! Did you use foam beds from cutting the wing to make the mold? Is it made from fiberglass? How do you join the 2 halves in the layup? Is there a spar?
I hot wire foam cores on a horizontal borer, will post a video when I can.
Wing mould is epoxy board CNC machined and lots of hours polishing.
There ps a rough layup video in this thread, wing is Moulded in 1 piece. Spars are the leading edge of the wing and a little bit of Kevlar.
Apr 06, 2016, 06:39 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader
Initially I tried to angle my nose up and to the side, with a haughty hand to brush away "another wing" (I'm REALLY anti-wing FYI)...but you do cool things and tell cool stories, soooo...subscribed.
Cool stories lol I failed English.
I'll write some more for you
Apr 06, 2016, 07:01 AM
Rock Breaker

Not much plane stuff

Not to bad a day at work then well.
So I get home grab a beer and look at what I should do to advance the Rock Breaker a bit more. I'm half a fuse short so prep that mould. There's a chip in bottom wing mould from machining drill that out ready for filling. Cut some glass mix some resin and now bugger me my daughter just got her L plates and wants to go driving. Not now maybe later we can go. Back to laying up fuse filling mould everything going ok until my glove got stuff on something and tore a hole. Now I have sticky fingers.

So now I'm ready for another beer, the choice beer or driving. I lost so off for a drive we go. 30 minutes later I'm shaking all over, almost hit the house and she wants to drive to school in the morning.

Beer beer beer and I'm getting back to normal. The wife feeds me a lovely steak and veg. Yep I'm good now.

Tv not working bugger. Check other tv not working no signal. Look out into the dark night can't see any flashing lights on the tv tower, maybe it fell over, or terrorist don't like Mackay tv and bombed it.

No tv so back to fun plane stuff. Mark out the hinges, scrape to the Kevlar, cut the ends, cut the top. All going great. I watched video on wipers so instead of doing second cut on top of hinge I sanded the right places and wow fabulous I've got a half wiper. I'm stoked just had to sit there for a bit playing with my half wiper hinges.

Then the light goes out, bugger me who's playing games. Check the downstairs switch nothing. Check upstairs switch nothing. So much for plane stuff can't see anything now.

Rum time, still no tv so house is quiet, just listening to the ocean.
Apr 06, 2016, 07:27 AM
Rock Breaker
Rock breaker (0 min 40 sec)

Crap video quality, you can just see the plane.
Apr 06, 2016, 07:31 AM
Rock Breaker
Rock breaker wing cores being cut (2 min 29 sec)

Also poor quality video but you can see what's happening.

Machine is a 5 axis horizontal borer. I've fitted a hot wire bow to cut my cores.
Apr 06, 2016, 08:08 AM
Blow the videos...I'am in just for the story--LOL

Yeah..somebody stole the tv/power/& radio reception all over for a few hours.

Looking at the dressed up pics..the image of boomarang comes to mind..aussie thing (just a thought)

That would have to be the most expensive foam wing cutter in the world!!!!!!!!

Teaching your Mrs or kids to drive is best left to somebody else..too much stress.

Keenly await the next episode tomorrow...

M
Last edited by minirotor; Apr 06, 2016 at 04:38 PM.
Apr 06, 2016, 06:32 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazasmith
Rum time, still no tv so house is quiet, just listening to the ocean.
Rum and the ocean.....that sounds just about perfect to me.

Quick Reply