Planks- R-Swept, Ellipsio- miniplank 1S brushless - Rear motor FPV - Page 5 - RC Groups
Sep 15, 2016, 06:22 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Looks like you built a wing. Not much more is needed.

Go Planks!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2016, 07:31 PM
Got her pretty much done. It was just too windy to maiden this evening.Maybe tomorrow.
Sep 19, 2016, 04:43 PM

Maiden flight

Well it was a wild first flight.The cg was too far back.No down thrust or right .Managed to get it back down in one piece.Made some adjustments and its ready for round two.
Sep 19, 2016, 04:51 PM
Welcome to plankdom

Did you find that it had plenty of control? That is the easy half of the equation. Next make it stable. It still is weird to me to see plank flying all over the sky. At least with a swept wing it has a point kind of telling you something about the direction it is going.

I don't know why that planks are less popular than swept. Probably tradition.
Sep 20, 2016, 05:09 PM
Flew it again today with the cg 1/2" forward. Flies very well. Yes it had plenty of control. Elevator was great,ailerons were a little touchy. Orientation was much harder than my swept wings. Broke the prop on my last landing.All in all success
Sep 22, 2016, 03:18 PM
Got everything sorted out, flies great.Elevator was stalling(Thanks Basicguy).Went with elevons.Amazed at how slow it would fly. Fantastic glide too.
Sep 22, 2016, 03:42 PM
Good deal on your new planes success. You aren't the first designer to have the elevator stall.

So what do you attribute the gliding capability to. I think that swept wings tend to get airflow along the span and it doesn't contribute to lift.

I don't think a 40" plank would have a hard time thermalling.

It is amazing how little it takes to fly.
I'm glad that you built it.
Thanks for sharing.
Sep 24, 2016, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure about the glide. I know that a straight wing is more efficient than a swept wing. Compared to my deltas of equal weight it certainly
glides better and flies slower without stalling. Maybe it's the Kfm airfoil. I haven't tried a standard airfoil to compare it to.I know it was fast and easy to build and gave me a weeks worth of fun already. I crashed it at least a dozen times but have not caused any real damage just broken props.
Your Welcome
Sep 29, 2016, 05:16 PM

Rear Motor FPV Plank.

In order to fly FPV with a plank I made a 11x30 armin style wing with 4 foam spars in it. The thickness is 1 3/8 at 40 %. It is nearly a symmetrical airfoil.To the back I attached a 2000kv 24 gram 2730 style (blue wonder) motor.

Wing construction:

I put a 1/4x1 1/2x 11" tongue in the center leaving it sticking out 7.5"
This is going to be my battery and FPV camera mount area.

I flew it this afternoon, with some nice 20mph fall winds.

It flew great like every other plank I have made. Stable yet maneuverable. Has excellent climb rate. Weighed 1 pound with a 15002s battery. Usually my planes are lighter but am aiming for longer flights with the camera.

A bunch of small details need to be done Probably a little fuselage to cover the guts.
Last edited by basicguy; Sep 29, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Sep 29, 2016, 06:18 PM
Well done! I like it. I am going to have to build a pusher now. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 29, 2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for looking past the jungle of wires and masking tape. Hope that you can post what you build for all to see.

I have the camera mounted at the nose Going to be making a nacelle to dress it up.
Oct 18, 2016, 02:04 AM
Basic Guy noticed my Cub Wing, and pointed out this thread. Nice to find some like-minded people! I hope you won't mind if I share a few things here?

I am fascinated with wings, and have played with the Park Zone Stryker a lot. The heaver ones, the Q in particular, are quite difficult to launch. But it's quite windy here at lunch time, which is normally when I fly, and a fast plane is necessary. But a plane that can be launched in high wind may be difficult or impossible to launch in a calm.

More wing area would lower the stall speed and help a lot. That got me looking at the Sig Wonder. And an old AirField Cessna foam wing. That wing, some hot melt glue, and some CellFoam from my local hobby shop produced the "Cessna Wing." Good thing it was foam. Working out the CG, throws, and so forth really tested the repariblity of foam!

In the end, it turned out to be a really nice flyer. Cruise around 70 mph with a 600 watt motor and a nice underhand launch. I could fly the novice pattern with it, rather accurately. Sweet!
Oct 18, 2016, 02:09 AM
The next plane was the Cub Wing. It made good use of some left-over Cub wings, donated to me by a club member, and some balsa I found at an estate sale. I used several motors, ending up with a E-flight Power 46 and an 11x12 prop. All that wing area allowed me to put a large battery in, I used a 5 cell, 5000 mAh LiPo, and am getting a 6 minute flight time at about 100 MPH. And it really slows down for landing. I did need a speed brake! It's still my go-to plane.

I found that the landing gear were too stiff. I went to a softer strut and found that that nasty bounce at landing went away!
Oct 18, 2016, 02:11 AM
I recently bought a 2 meter sailplane wing for a dollar at the swap meet. Guess what!
Oct 18, 2016, 06:36 AM
Thanks for sharing Tom,

A 100mph Cub! and it is a flat bottom wing? You are not afraid of building them with decent sized motors.

Could you sketch out the elevator area and proportions? Thanks.