Planks- R-Swept, Ellipsio- miniplank 1S brushless - Rear motor FPV - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 31, 2016, 10:13 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Made a maiden flight of the Armin wing plank. It came out pretty good. The wind was at least 15mph. Flew it 3 or 4 times.

I usually get it up and test the glide. It trimmed to glide pretty quickly. It glided good. It flies without much if any reflex.

Had the nose about 1/4" longer from last time. The CG was about 2" back from the leading edge, a 1/"4 to 1/2'' further back than my other two planks. Probably because the armin wing has more foam further back. At any rate less reflex should equal less drag. Perhaps my earlier machines could benefit from further aft CGs. My experience with swept wings is similar.

Full power gave it a rapid change in attitude, bringing it up into vertical. Going to add a good amount of down thrust.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2016, 04:48 PM

Plank#3 flies

A short video in 12mph wind.
plank_3 flying wing (0 min 51 sec)

At about 29 seconds I turned off the power and put it into a vertical stall. It really flipped quickly but was an extreme situation. It glides very nice and is pretty fast on the 2s battery. I had the blades on the folding propeller tight for balancing and had not loosened them and they wouldn't fold when gliding.

Was definitely more work to build this one with the Armin style wing. but I like it. Needs a bit more tape covering the tips.
Apr 04, 2016, 12:30 AM
Watt Waster

Plank Style Flying Wing Design

I was glad to have come across this thread. The odd thing is it is a fairly new thread on the plank style of flying wing. Very interesting, but I was also hoping to find older dedicated threads to this design. Can anyone offer a link, or two to the older threads? There seems to be more than four different names for the same design.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Apr 04, 2016, 10:56 PM
I experimented with Plank_1, the pink one. One of the winglets had come loose I decided to remove both of them. It flew interesting. I could turn left but not right. After a couple of rounds around the field I cut the motor and it glided beautiful. Motor running it was skewing all over.

The next experiment was to make Whitcomb style winglets. Have been using them on my other two plank airframes. Cut the trailing edges of the span shorter than leading edge by 1/2" ( 3), creating a toe out effect on the new winglets. Akin to the design shown here:

Although not measured it was obvious that the plane was faster in all maneuvers. Both my second and third planes were faster than this one, obvious to the naked eye. Not so now.

Prior to last week I had always made my symmetrical winglets parallel to the direction of flight and had thought about toeing them in as that seems to have a some logic.
Apr 06, 2016, 08:15 PM
Since I have three planks I decided to risk one in the high winds that have been so common.

Our weather today has had gusts today as high as 37 mph according to NWS. They measure the wind velocity at 20 feet above the ground. I have a Turnigy handheld wind gauge and could see wind up to 20mph in the middle of my tree lined flying field.

At any rate I took Plank One (the pink one) out and it flew great. Before launch I could barely hold on to it. It launched up into the wind at about 40 straight as it turned, it would really have great ground speed going down wind. but ran decently upwind as well. Landings were smooth. Ran two batteries through it.

The more I fly these planes the more I like them. Light wing loading of 4.3 oz/sqft. and low drag.
Apr 11, 2016, 03:16 PM
Watt Waster

Plank Style Flying Wing Design

That would help to explain why flying wing designs are so popular among slope enthusiast. I don't recall seeing many flying planks, but no doubt some do like the style.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Apr 11, 2016, 09:50 PM

Planks

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...17276&page=543 Check out the Nifty plank.

Simple ,fun, fly wel.... A couple of reasons. Skipo.
Apr 12, 2016, 08:39 AM
Yep No dolls in fake cockpits for me. Pure flying machine.
Apr 12, 2016, 10:49 AM

Roll Question

I noticed that in both videos, the planes fly well, and loop, but I didn't see the plane roll. I'm flying a blunt-nosed Versa (FliteTest) in which the roll performance is very stately even though I enlarged the ails outboard. Is poor roll performance characteristic of your planks?

I appreciate the info on the winglets, but one day I had an 8 minute flight and was surproised that the plane flew well with only one vertical stabilizer, apparently the other had fallen off in flight.
Last edited by ganguy; Apr 12, 2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Insert photo
Apr 12, 2016, 12:11 PM
I have strip 1'' elevons and get commensurate roll rate for the size and deflection. Fly inverted with a bit of down elevator. I have one plank that the tape joint failed along the elevons. Perhaps I might make the elevons 2'' and make them 2/3rds or 1/2 length.

If your wing flies without one wing tip take the other off. See what happens!
Apr 12, 2016, 12:16 PM
I might try that, it's pretty easy because the tips are removeable to get it in my car! Then it would be like a Horten wing
Apr 12, 2016, 03:15 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
A couple of my FBs were at one time doing the 'flying wing without tip-fins' thing.
They flew fine if the flight pattern was kept fairly conservative.
A heavy handed control input could cause an unrecoverable yaw instability issue leading to a crash.
The other problem they had was the way these planes would vanish from sight, sometimes when turning on to final, which they found to be *entertaining.*
Apr 13, 2016, 01:14 PM
Had to rebuild the elevons on one of my planks. The tape hinges failed. Instead of 1" strip elevons, made them 2"x8.5" with a 12" board between them. Should fly it later today. Also I had thought about adding a third servo for the elevator and hinging the center section.

I've flown some deltas without vertical stabilizers and can agree with the stealthy nature of them.
Apr 14, 2016, 11:44 AM

Improved version

As mentioned I had rebuilt some errant hinges on one of my planks. Making the elevons 2x8.5" and having a 12" center section that is fixed.

After flying it last night and having about the same roll rate and a lessened sensitivity to pitch control I decided to move the control rods out to the end of the servo horns giving them about 3/4" in each direction, I get a roll rate of about 360 a second and the pitch control still allows 6' loops.

The center section not moving I think adds a little drag at full elevator. making it slow down better when landing at full up elevator. Like adding some passive butterfly. The glide is still excellent.
Apr 14, 2016, 06:55 PM
Here is a video of the original pink/black wing with new Elevons. I left the elevons in white.
plank (0 min 53 sec)

I did a some rolls, inverted flying. vertical and horizontal loops. Landing it was coming in pretty hot so I brought it up into a stall to slow it down. Good reason for a folding prop!