This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 27, 2016, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Feiyu teardown

After multiple credit card rejections & alerts, the bang good transaction went through. 4 days later, the goods arrived with a bang. The quest for a handle began.

1st, it needs another control board to generate roll, pitch, & mode PWM signals. The PWM generator is required whether it's on a handle or a vehicle.
Only 6 signals go in: power, GND, roll, pitch, mode, video There is a 0.176V diode on the shock absorber board to protect against reverse voltage.

The USB connector on it is overkill. It really takes a standard UART TX & RX signal on the same pins as the roll & pitch, so it can't be programmed when the PWM source is running. The 5V from the USB connector is floating, so it needs to be powered from the PWM generator while no PWM is being generated.

The original plan was to remove the enclosure & bolt the handle directly onto the motor. The problem is a control board is bolted to the enclosure, which is bolted onto the motor. You can't remove the enclosure without removing the control board. Hacking the board to operate outside the enclosure would prevent the original shock absorbing board from being used. It also uses high speed I2C to communicate with control boards attached to all 3 motors & the IMU. That won't work outside the enclosure. There aren't any bolts long enough to go through an outside plate, the enclosure, board & motor.

The shock absorbing board can be removed, yielding a much more compact setup suitable for a handle. It just needs longer versions of 3 bolts. There's no spare 6 pin connector in the apartment to put on a handle. It would have to be spliced directly onto the PWM source. The 6 pin connector would go straight into the PWM source instead of an intermediate breakout board. This would have to be long enough to go on a handle or a vehicle.

The PWM source would do everything the breakout board did, but it would be more compact. It would pass power through a power switch to all the systems. It would pass the UART from the programming dongle to the PWM pins. It would have a switch or a jumper to disable PWM. The original shock absorbing board would be purely for shock absorption.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Mar 27, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2016, 01:56 PM
Hi sir! Thank you very much for your teardown. Very clear!

Could you perhaps help me with an issue I have with my Feiyu Tech gimbal?

There seems to be a little space/clearance on the panning axis right where the panning motor is. This means that there is a little wobble perpendicular of that axis. This is visible on my videos, because it results in a little shake when holding the gimbal horizontally. See the video below.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJdacKy3Afg

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Mar 28, 2016, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
It's bang bad. Use software stabilization to eliminate the last wiggle.
Mar 29, 2016, 02:07 AM
Dear Jack,

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean with "bang bad"? Are the motors not that high quality? More importantly, do all motors on these gimbals have this issue?

It actually looks like there's some space between the steel shaft inside the motor and the motor housing. I guess it's a hardware related wobble.

Quick Reply