This thread is privately moderated by Clickety, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 27, 2016, 11:51 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Thread OP
Build Log

11. Vulcan 1.4m twin 70mm edf depron large parkjet

PLANS HERE :-
http://jetworks.online

beta plans for my depron vulcan design. dxf file for cnc cutting added.

My model is still not built due to personal circumstances, but the design was maidened and successfully flown by Rob Mac. CG needs to go back 25mm(esc) from published plans. Robs sadly crashed due to a combination of factors to do with aileron setup and EDF/ battery issues.
Last edited by Clickety; Dec 26, 2018 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Made a few modifications. I changed the 10mm circular carbon tube to a 10mm square section carbon tube as it was hard to integrate the circular shape.

Also I'm going to take a 6mm carbon tube into the wingtips as I think they are liable to breaking off at the end of the main spar.
Nov 09, 2016, 12:39 PM
So just seen this ... is it all finished any videos .. looks awesome
Nov 09, 2016, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Sadly, I am waiting until I can purchase two decent EDF units/motors/ESC's. We have recently moved and finances are tight - so it's on the back burner at the moment. Keep checking back here as this is where I'll post any progress.

Cheers

Craig
Nov 09, 2016, 01:31 PM
for some powerfull fans try here

http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...earch=64mm+edf
Nov 09, 2016, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
pretty cheap! have u ordered from them b4?
Nov 11, 2016, 12:28 AM
S.A.D Member
Craig,

I buy all my fans from only them, normally at your door within a week. never had a issue with them with over 100 orders to date.
I am using 2 x 50mm 4200kv fans from them for my vulcan.
They produce nearly 800 grams thrust each and at 1600grams thrust i believe it will easily fly the vulcan due to the large wing area and lightness of the model.
70mm fans just mean more weight for bigger batteries and also more amps and also heavier fans.
I have printed out the plans taped them and cut them out, todays task is to attach them to the depron and cut out the parts, fans should be here by tuesday all being good.

Grant
Nov 11, 2016, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
That's pretty impressive! I'll start looking at rc castle in future. Thanks for the tip!

Not sure that I want 50mm Edfs though, I want the performance of the 70s and a good efflux sound. I have a 50 twin Edf jet and it's nice though. Not knocking 50mm, just my preference. Lots of lift with the Vulcan so not worried about the weight.
Nov 11, 2016, 07:06 AM
S.A.D Member
Craig,

yes there are obvious advantages to using 70mm fans and i love them, i use rc-castles 2900kv fan/motors, they have serious thrust on them, but as the vulcan will be light and lots of lift on the huge wing i think 70mm fans are just unneeded weight and you have to then use much bigger batteries to be able to supply the amps and have a decent flight time.
I use the 50mm 4200kv's in a mini viper jet which exceeds 100mph using a 1000mah 4s1p 40c pack
I get 4 minutes from that mostly WOT
i will have 1.6kgs thrust from my 2 so that should be way more than needed for the vulcan for scale speed as its not a sportjet in any sense
if i keep the vulcan under 2kgs it will easily fly it, but i believe it will be much lighter than that
what has yours come out at without fans installed??
do you have any other build photos since the last you posted as this way quite a while ago and i see you have posted new models you have done since then, so have you continued yet with the vulcan build wise??

regards
Grant
Nov 11, 2016, 07:09 AM
S.A.D Member
These are the best bang for buck 70mm fans out there imho , metal dans are not any better as they heavier and still have a plastic impeller anyways,its just the shroud and stators that are metal

http://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?r...&search=2900kv

the below specs are bang on i have used dozens of these on various models and the thrust figures are correct and amps

Outside Diameter : 71.8mm

- Rotor DIameter : 68mm , 12 Blades

- Overall Weight : 198g ( Whole Unit )

- Motors : Cyclone Power CR480-2900-40EDF Outrunner Brushless Motor

- Working Voltage: 14.8v (4S)

- Static Thrust : Around 1620g At 14.8v (70A)
Nov 11, 2016, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Hi Grant,

Sorry I haven't got any more pics! It's currently on hold until I get the electronics. Which is on hold until my finances are straight after our house move.

My plan with the 70mm Edfs are to use them at cruise speeds to get a good efficiency but with the occasional whoosh fly past!

Would love to see the 50mm fans fly though! I'll weigh the Vulcan as soon as I can for you.
Nov 11, 2016, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
The other work I've posted is all computer design work mainly
Nov 14, 2016, 04:04 AM
50mm Fans you say ... Hmmmm intresting
Jan 21, 2017, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Few pics of Robs Vulcan nearing completion. Mine is on hold due to cash flow.
Feb 05, 2017, 04:27 AM
can't wait to see it in the air ! keep us up to date

Quick Reply