Mar 27, 2016, 05:08 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

X2 U.S ST Tug of ww2

Hi all, for many years now myself and brother have been very interested in the Americans in ww2. As we are British, we naturally prefer the vehicles and uniforms of the Americans. We have several vehicles and uniforms and equipment.

We visit Normandy many times and in 2011 we had the chance to board ST 488 which is possibly one of the only ST Tugs to stay in wartime markings. It is a non running boat at the moment, but the owner's are making huge improvements to this tug all the time. Although many things on the tug have been removed....like many over the years, slowly they are adding the missing parts.

I am building two St tugs, due to my brother wanting one too! Naturally I intend to build one tug to hopefully represent St 488 as it would have looked during ww2. The other will be slightly different, as there were many variations.

I want to say that before I started these builds I was inspired by Marinaru_Ro and Toesup on this forum who have both made such wonderful builds of these great St Tugs.

Well we sent for the fibreglass hulls in 2011 from Chuck Steffan. They are 36" long and all detail had to be added. I would like to say that I did start the builds back then and only now have I had the time to start this thread! Don't want to give the impression that I am a fast builder!

The pictures show St 488.

Ian.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2016, 05:18 AM
Thread OP
Hulls arrived smooth, so rubbing strips were added, along with the rudder which was made by sandwiching plastic together. These builds will be mainly made with plastic sheet as this gives a nice finish, is easy to work with and readily available in all thickness. We will be powering these tugs by a decaperm.
Mar 27, 2016, 05:23 AM
Thread OP
I intend to have three or four doors open on each model if sound is added.
Mar 27, 2016, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
One build is a task, but two!!!
Mar 27, 2016, 05:35 AM
Thread OP
More shortly!
Mar 27, 2016, 06:34 AM
Thread OP
As i mentioned when I started this thread, these two builds will be slightly different. These are on ST 488 the wheelhouse windows are more square, the other build has one more window and are slightly rounded top and bottom as Angels gate and many other St tugs were. There will also be a ladder at the rear leading to top deck on this one and not 488. The doors leading into the wheelhouse on 488 will be square ish, the other rounded.

Ian.
Mar 27, 2016, 06:45 AM
Thread OP
Wartime pictures or just after of what I am hoping to achieve. There are more pictures out there but not lots. There are only a couple that I know of showing the machine guns that will be mounted above the wheel house.
Mar 27, 2016, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
The grey is a primer I am using to show any areas that need work. Funnels were also made of plastic sheet.
Mar 27, 2016, 07:10 AM
Thread OP
Bollards were made in the lathe, and the port holes were too. Glass will be added after final paint is added
Mar 27, 2016, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
As you can see everything is scratch built and as anyone knows this takes time. I do have plans but these vary and are not too good at showing great detail, it is good that we managed to board the real ST 488 and take many photos, it still has the bases where the 50 cal machine guns were mounted. Sadly it no longer has the davits where the lifeboat would have been.....the plans don't show good detail of this area!

Many shipbuilder's built these tugs differently, There were many variations on engine, and some doors were higher to accommodate what engine was fitted, different vented funnels, and even some hulls were wooden!
Mar 27, 2016, 07:28 AM
Thread OP
Front capstain type winch was made in the lathe. On ST 488 we know it did not have this type of winch, but a winch that was fitted at an angle, we have no good pictures of this type of winch if anyone can help with this it would be appreciated. There is still an outline on ST 488 which i will show below.
Mar 27, 2016, 09:16 AM
Welcome ~ !

Great builds ~

Great to see Chuck's products being put to fine use !

Mar 27, 2016, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Tim B.

I made the ladder's by making a jig and fixing in the steps as they are flat, not rung and you cannot buy in this size. I fixed them to my builds but decided that the step part looked too thick so you will see later that i took these off and re made them. These pictures show the first ladder's.
Mar 27, 2016, 11:23 AM
Thread OP
Rear winch control, and binacles. They are only red at the moment as these were made from a cheap necklace!

Quick Reply