Mar 26, 2016, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Building my first backyard RC track

It's racing time!!!! Almost...

Today I began building my first RC track. We have limited space about 70'x30' so we have opted for smaller cars. The track will be designed for 1/18 -1/14 scale cars. I'll have 8' lanes in most spots. I am going to build in stages since we are new to RC and just now not destroying our cars every time we take them out.

Here are the cars we have-Dromida 1/18 scale.

And here is the layout. We will be using under the swings all the way to the small tree by the red shed.

And finally phase 1. I am killing the grass and we will run a flat track for a short while to get used to it. If it goes well...

Phase 2 we build jumps
Phase 3 we build berms and a crawling area (I want a mini crawler)
Phase 4 drivers stand and all the other race stuff.

Please let me know any suggestions. We may make the long straight a chris cross jump.

I will post again after the grass is dead with a short first race video.

Thanks for looking.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2016, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drickster
It's racing time!!!! Almost...

Today I began building my first RC track. We have limited space about 70'x30' so we have opted for smaller cars. The track will be designed for 1/18 -1/14 scale cars. I'll have 8' lanes in most spots. I am going to build in stages since we are new to RC and just now not destroying our cars every time we take them out.

Here are the cars we have-Dromida 1/18 scale.

And here is the layout. We will be using under the swings all the way to the small tree by the red shed.

And finally phase 1. I am killing the grass and we will run a flat track for a short while to get used to it. If it goes well...

Phase 2 we build jumps
Phase 3 we build berms and a crawling area (I want a mini crawler)
Phase 4 drivers stand and all the other race stuff.

Please let me know any suggestions. We may make the long straight a chris cross jump.

I will post again after the grass is dead with a short first race video.

Thanks for looking.
That looks cool! Can I come play? Lol!
Mar 27, 2016, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Yeah sure random stranger from the Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briber
That looks cool! Can I come play? Lol!
Mar 28, 2016, 09:04 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Sounds like fun!

My suggestion - move #4 to #2... or at least the drivers stand part. It does not need to be fancy, but getting up even just 2' to 3' higher really helps with driving.

Edit - Maybe for a temporary stand, move the play house so you can use it as a drivers stand.

Have fun!
Jerry
Mar 28, 2016, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
The top deck of the swingset is actually a great stand as it covers the back of the track where its a little more technical.

But...I am running into my first challenge...my grass isnt dying!!!

I sprayed Saturday afternoon. It was warm but not hot and we had rain last night and its supposed to be warm again today. Hopefully that will start the process But right now it looks better than the rest of the yard (because I raked all the dead stuff out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
Sounds like fun!

My suggestion - move #4 to #2... or at least the drivers stand part. It does not need to be fancy, but getting up even just 2' to 3' higher really helps with driving.

Edit - Maybe for a temporary stand, move the play house so you can use it as a drivers stand.

Have fun!
Jerry
Mar 28, 2016, 10:23 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
It can take 7-14 days for the grass to completely die off. Rain will slow the process, because (even though the label probably says it won't) it will wash some of the solution off of your foliage. Round up, and the others like it, work from the outside in, so having it washed into the root system doesn't really do anything beneficial. After a rain I would reapply, especially if you have some sunshine coming.
Mar 28, 2016, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Yeah I'm guessing i will have to. busy couple of days so I dont know if I will get to it until this weekend...

Though really I was being a little funny about my "problem"

On a driver's stand, I thought I would wait a little until we figure out where is best to stand and how many cars I can really race at once.
Mar 28, 2016, 11:35 AM
Car Bashing
Nice project. I give you an idea if you want :

Source : http://www.liverc.com/news/announcements/11144-Coolest_backyard_track_ever_to_host_New_Year's_Day _race_in_NorCal's_Bay_Area/

Mar 28, 2016, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
That's awesome!

The good news is I think I see so browning....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73
Mar 28, 2016, 12:06 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Yeah that track is amazing!

Good deal on the browning! Won't be long now!
Mar 30, 2016, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
Ok quick ask for some advice....what should I use as lane markers? I was planning on using the black corrugated 4" (10cm) pipe from the hardware store. That seems standard on the videos I've seen. Any other suggestions/options I may be missing?
Mar 30, 2016, 08:10 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
If you are near a port, see if you can find some surplus used 4" hemp tow-boat rope. There are several grades of used rope, make sure you look at the low grade (not for load bearing work). The rope that still passes load bearing inspection is expensive.

Jerry
Mar 30, 2016, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
If you are near a port, see if you can find some surplus used 4" hemp tow-boat rope. There are several grades of used rope, make sure you look at the low grade (not for load bearing work). The rope that still passes load bearing inspection is expensive.

Jerry
Awesome idea. I hadn't thought of that. We're looking to do a track on private land. We have a 50-60 by 100+ space to work with, more if we move some things around. I'd been looking at the landscape drain tubes and wasn't that impressed.

What about coloring it? Paint might make it stiff. Could you use like Rit dye on it?
Mar 30, 2016, 09:42 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
I don't think paint will make much of a difference to 3" or 4" hemp rope... LOL that stuff is stout. Heavy too - it stays where you put it, even with 1:8 buggies and truggies bouncing off it.

My local 1:8 scale outdoor track uses a mix of 3" and 4" mooring rope as track border. It is not painted. You can find it in yellow/black poly instead of hemp, sometimes. The poly rope is a lot lighter, too.
Last edited by JerryRigged; Mar 30, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
Mar 30, 2016, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
that is an awesome Idea and I'm in Baltimore...now just need to source it...

I just counted and I need about 300'
Last edited by Drickster; Mar 30, 2016 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply