Mar 25, 2016, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Building replica Yokomo Dogfighter yz-834b Project

This is a pie in the sky idea that was prompted by another thread ,to build a replica of an original Yokomo Dogfighter .
There's a few reasons .
1 It's the one I always wanted as a kid and never had.
2 The vintage originals are changing hands for silly money , i just saw a BNIB on Ebay for over a thousand pounds .
3 I want to drive it hard and regularly and don't want to put that kind of milage on a vintage (expensive) car.
So just a little background on me , I have my own lath and mill and make custom ww2 airsoft guns to order as part of my other hobbies so I have the tools and hopefully the skills to build up the chassis and suspension components ,this leaves the transmition system and body ,the bodies are solds as replica's .
So the transmition needs to be a chain or belt with a transverse mid motor layout from a modern 1/10 car ,I'm happy to compromise about a belt drive rather than chain as there don't seem to be any modern chain drive models and i want easily found modern spairs for the transmition.
Looking around the models on sale its either schumacher or possibly a turnigy drift car transmition ,the turnigy car is cheap as a donor car at only arround fifty pounds ,it also has the virtue of being diff on front axle and direct drive to the rear ,so flip it round and that makes fitting one way rollers to the front a simpler idea to do ,and did i mention its cheap .
That leads to my first question ,I've never had a drift car ,is there a major gear ratio difference ? and given i can overcome that ,would the transmition be striong enough ? I'm only going to be useing the spur gear ,belts ,pulley's ,diff and out drives ,none of the suspension or drive shafts or hubs or chassis will be used ,literally just the central transmition system .
So what do you think ?
This will be a slow burner as i have to build up 2 Bren Gun's before I can get really stuck into it .
Last edited by dadio; Apr 12, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2016, 05:56 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Sounds cool, you got my attention, and I bet other vintage fans will be interested in your progress as well. If you take a different car as base material, I wonder how much this is going to be a replica, or more like "inspired upon", but we will have to see how it turns out.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Mar 25, 2016, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
I think what I'm aiming for is a good visual and functional representation rather than 100% perfect ,in so far as i can disguise the modern parts I would do so and hopefully with the body on I'd want it to be very close to perfect ,its a formular I'm used to with the airsoft gun builds , I take a bolt action airsoft sniper rifle and remove the functional parts and graft them into genuine Lee Enfield woodwork ,sights etc to build a very close replica rifle ,while every working part is an easily scorced modern airsoft part for easy servicability.I hope i can do the same ith a car .Look up my builds on ww2airsftuk forum
Last edited by dadio; Mar 25, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Mar 27, 2016, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Oh dear ,body and wing ordered ,so it begins ,I'm half tempted to just slowly gather original parts and just fill the gaps with hand made bits .
Mar 30, 2016, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
more bits ordered ,chassis plate ,rear suspension pivots and front suspension mount/diff housing (I know theres no front diff but its hard to think of a better name ),from these parts i can extrapolate a lot of the details and order a few more genuine bits as and when I can find or afford them.
I've found a supplier of chain drive chain and gears so its going to be chain drive as well !
Apr 02, 2016, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Complete set of front suspension arms ordered, he he there's bits comeing from all round the world ,i might mill out some aluminium front arms for general use so I don't end up breaking rare original bits ,I might do that for a good many of the original parts because spares are like hen's teeth to find.
Apr 05, 2016, 12:57 PM
Thread OP
First parts arrived ,shiny new body and wing YAY !
Apr 06, 2016, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
First parts arrived ,shiny new body and wing YAY !
No pics?
Apr 06, 2016, 06:26 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
This will be very interesting. Nice project! Look forward to seeing the progress.
Latest blog entry: NewBeeDrone Whoop Build
Apr 07, 2016, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
I just scorced a complete gearbox ,motor plate and rear mono shock complete with linkages and bracketts ,as soon as theres something to see i'll post pictures ,I feel like a kid he he .
Apr 10, 2016, 03:31 AM
Thread OP
More bits coming , front steering hubs ,axles and one way roller hubs .
I seemed to have swerved away from my original plan but there are plenty of bits I can't afford or find and even a lot that I have ordered that might be too fragile to use ,I want to be able to drive it without consideration of rarety of replacement parts or how weak 30 year old plastic might be ,so anything that looks breakable will be copied in either Acetal an engineering plastic thats quite strong or in aluminium , I'll only use aluminium in some areas ,for instance if I make aluminium suspension arms them the shock load will be transfered to another part and break that instead so if the arms are in nice flexi breakable plastic its better .
Apr 11, 2016, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Pargustore gold aluminium front C hubs arived today YAY.
Apr 11, 2016, 04:37 PM
This thread needs pics. Please?
Apr 12, 2016, 03:02 AM
Thread OP
There's not much to see yet but let the photo's begin .
Apr 12, 2016, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
This came as well today ,its the motor plate.

Quick Reply