Balsa vs. Depron: Jupiter Scout free download plan - RC Groups
Mar 25, 2016, 03:51 PM
scratchbuilder
Build Log

Balsa vs. Depron: Jupiter Scout free download plan

A practical comparison: Same model, same gear, nearly same method of construction. Jupiter Scout is a 64 cm span model with RET controls. You decide if it will be made of balsa or depron!
Free download is here on Modell-Aviator.de:
http://modell-aviator.de/files/av051...iter-scout.pdf

Modell AVIATOR: Downloadplanmodell Jupiter Scout (3 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2016, 10:41 PM
Neat design, I'm going to print the plans out for sure!
Mar 26, 2016, 07:24 AM
Was there a winner? German escapes me.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:32 PM
Hey, watch this!
Cute model. What is the genesis of the name ? Jupiter Scout congers up a different image - maybe something with jets .

Oh all right, I printed the plans and I have a suitable motor and some 5 grams servos just sitting there glaring at me. So many models - so little time. Oooo, I have a pair of little Trexlers available too.
Mar 26, 2016, 07:02 PM
I like it!

Astounding similarities to my own design Big Annie.
Mar 27, 2016, 08:22 AM
scratchbuilder
Very nice design, Ronald!
Mar 27, 2016, 04:01 PM
scratchbuilder
Marco: Depron is better for indoor flying, it has 40g less weight. Wood is better for windy weather - both fly great.

Raymond: it is part of my Jupiter series: Jupiter Junior and Jupiter Kwirl - and Scout because of the bush flying character.
Mar 28, 2016, 04:26 PM
scratchbuilder
Limboflug unterm Tisch durch (1 min 3 sec)
Mar 28, 2016, 07:37 PM
A neat design.
But it could be argued that Balsa and Depron have rather different mechanical properties so a design best suited to one will not make best use of the properties of the other.
Depron is much lighter and more flexible than balsa so the details of the construction should be rather different even for a plane of the same overall dimensions.
Mar 29, 2016, 11:26 AM
Hiigaran member
Der Lazy Bee! -LY
Mar 29, 2016, 02:03 PM
scratchbuilder
Depron is much lighter and more flexible than balsa so the details of the construction should be rather different even for a plane of the same overall dimensions.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. This comparison does not show if balsa or depron is better for parkflyers in general. It shows the differences for this model. I chose this size and type of construction because it is well suited for both materials.
Mar 29, 2016, 02:18 PM
scratchbuilder

Result of the balsa - depron comparison

Here is the result:
Balsa version: 210g
Depron version: 165g

Both fly extremely well, stable and agile at the same time. The balsa version is a bit faster because of the higher weight - so it is the better outdoor flyer, especially in windy conditions.
Depron is better for indoor flying or very small spaces. It also has a better thrust to weight ratio so it is easier to do some weird 3D manoeuvers.

Now the irrational factors:
The balsa version is more precious to me, though the difference in cost is marginal.
Because of that, I fly more adventurously with the depron version.
Both are great fun!
Mar 30, 2016, 11:47 AM
...thank you Thomas for this great design, videos and all the information on this model!
I'm a balsa lover but I need an indoor model at the moment therefore have started building the depron version first. This is my first depron/foam build so any information from all of you is very usefull to me! I will post pictures of my build soon!
Thanks again.
Mar 30, 2016, 06:13 PM
Thomas, thanks for the con. pic!
Here some pictures from my depron JS!