"Drill Bit 40" - New sport model - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 25, 2016, 07:50 AM
Build Log

"Drill Bit 40" - New sport model

A couple years ago I designed a 40-size sport plane around some equipment and wood I had on hand. The intent was to have something with which I could just bore holes in the sky, so I called it the Drill Bit 40. With size and power comparable to my electrified Tower Kaos 40 it was sure to be a winner, but what I didn't realize right away was how many others liked it. It is a simple design, but not a "box" - I wanted something that required a little extra craftsmanship just to make it different.

After a too-long delay, I'll go through the construction now. The attached plans don't have the parts on them yet, but will in a few days (I have to shuffle things off the cut files). Kits will eventually be available from Manzano Laser, and the full plans will be posted to www.Outerzone.co.uk once they're ready.

For now, this will get you going...

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2016, 08:16 AM
I just want to go fly!
I like the side air scoop. Nice
Mar 25, 2016, 09:35 AM
Will you have this plan in tile format?
Mar 25, 2016, 09:40 AM
No. But you can print the PDF at Staples or any other place with a large-format printer for just a couple bucks. I would hold off printing a copy yet - there may be more changes coming as I revise stuff.

Andy
Mar 25, 2016, 10:07 AM
Now Andy, you do realize what you have done to a lot of people with this?

Long ago I used to fly full throttle and punch holes in the sky. Oh what fun that was, high speed meant more fun. Sort of got away from that with the Edges, Extras and 3D planes. Now back to the pure fun of full throttle flying.

The Power 32 is a good motor. Lots of power and fun in a small package.

Buzz.
Mar 25, 2016, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
Now Andy, you do realize what you have done to a lot of people with this?

Long ago I used to fly full throttle and punch holes in the sky. Oh what fun that was, high speed meant more fun. Sort of got away from that with the Edges, Extras and 3D planes. Now back to the pure fun of full throttle flying.

The Power 32 is a good motor. Lots of power and fun in a small package.

Buzz.
You bet I do! Here you go, a few more whistle-wetters!

Andy
Mar 25, 2016, 03:00 PM
Hi Andy, thanks for uploading the plans. The side profile and rear fin reminds me more of a compensator or A6 Intruder. No ribs on the plans for scratch building?

Saw the airfoils on the plans NACA 0015 and 0016. I have compufoil. No problem.

It's actually a bigger plan than I expected it to be.

Jim
Mar 25, 2016, 03:02 PM
Not yet. They're on page 3, which needs to get cleaned up. Right now it's just a cut file for the laser. I fully intend to make this something any scratch builder can do.

Andy
Mar 26, 2016, 10:55 AM
Where to put this on the build list? I have enough there all ready for 3 or 4 life times. Well I guess I wont be bored in the fore see able future. Now, they just need to plant more balsa trees!!

I was thinking the tail looked like a Birdie 10, yet a lot of the sexy pattern planes had tails that looked alike. The Curare is my all time favorite pattern plane. I see a lot of pattern plane lines in this plane.

Was thinking foam core, retracts? Yet I do like the simple build too? So many choices. Looking forward to the build.

Buzz.
Mar 26, 2016, 05:19 PM
I don't like foam core, especially with retracts. It's just so much easier this way, at least for me. Mark Rittinger likes foam, and that's cool.

Andy
Mar 26, 2016, 05:54 PM
I just want to go fly!
I love full throttle head high passes and big powerful moves. 3d is way to tame looking for me. IMHO. Some of my 60 size rockets. the yellow king Kobra is foam core retracts and work fantastic.
Mar 26, 2016, 06:59 PM
When I started on the Drill Bit 40, I had the name before anything else. Like I said, I wanted a sport plane for boring holes in the sky just for my own enjoyment. I had plans to attend an annual June E-Fly back at my old club in Pennsylvania (LVRCS.com) and wanted something big and new to bring along. Since I have an electric Kaos 40 that I'm very happy with, I figured that I'd be safe to use its parameters and powerplant as a good reference point. I also liked how my Neo 180 (Flying Models 4/14) handles, so I borrowed its moments. Scaled up to about Kaos size, the fuselage was slightly longer than the Kaos with a tail moment just a tad shorter and a significanly longer nose. The wing was quite a bit smaller than the Kaos, so I started over with a new wing with a straight TE using standard aileron stock, borrowing the root and tip chords and the wing tip shape from the Neo and adjusting the span to hit the Kaos' area this gave it a higher aspect ratio. I increased the tailplane a bit and added a little extra rudder area down low to improve the knife-edge. And finally, I wanted my new plane to have a totally new fuselage look to it. A little sketching, take a few ideas from some other old planes, and voila! As I said, this design was originally just for me using materials I had on-hand, but a good friend convinced me to share with you. If things are a little different, it's because of that.

Sometimes the desire for good looks trumps the quick-build idea, but a little planking on the fuse top and chin is still pretty quick (one extra evening) and you have something sleek without the boxy looks that are too often found on our models. I didn't want to duplicate the boxy look of a Kaos.

CONSTRUCTION:

I usually start a project by making myself a kit, selecting all the wood I'll need first from my scrap boxes, and then turning to the new sheets. It's also a good time to check stock on hardwood for gear blocks, triangle stock, etc. On the parts page you will notice that the balsa is laid out for 4x36 sheets; this is because the laser cutter uses this size and I didn't try very hard to save space, since the short kit will be cut using full sheets. Feel free to use the wood sizes you have on-hand and to conserve wood if you can. If you happen to have a matched pair of 1/8" x 4" x 48" sheets, it will make the fuselage sides easier since you can splice the paper instead of the wood. Use a straightedge!

TAIL:

Begin by framing up the tail from 1/4" stock. Take care to use the hardest, straightest balsa you can find for the main spars (the hinge line in stab and fin). Round the edges and taper the elevator and rudder to 1/8" thick at the trailing edge, and taper the stab and fin tips to match. Hinge these right away then set them aside.

Andy
Mar 26, 2016, 10:39 PM
Depending on how I feel, foam core or built up. I can whip out a foam core pretty quick. Yet I like the satisfaction of the built up wing. I started way back before foam, so built up was first.

I too have an allergy to Ca now after years of using it. Good ole titebond works good. Start the vertical, then the horizontal. By the time yo are done with the horizontal, the vertical is dry.

Buzz.
Mar 26, 2016, 11:13 PM
Gravity sucks.
I like foam wings for a few reasons...
Quick build, absorbs shocks, easy to work with, cheap. I can cut my own rather quickly.
Adding retracts may be more work...Ive done it on the P63 and the Gp5.
Everyone has a favorite and a reason
Mar 27, 2016, 08:21 AM
ARFs Are Me
This should be a fun project to follow.