HobbyKing HydroPro Inception Deep Vee - RC Groups

HobbyKing HydroPro Inception Deep Vee

Boating season is nearly here and you may be in the market for a new boat with little time on your hands. That's where the HobbyKing HydroPro Inception comes in...

Splash

Ready to Run for under $300

Boating season is nearly here and you may be in the market for a new boat with little time on your hands. That's where the HobbyKing HydroPro Inception comes in. It's a ready to run deep vee powered by a brushless motor capable of reaching speeds over 50MPH. The power system is water cooled and they provide two different propellers, one being used for a 4S setup and one for a 6S setup.

They include a high torque metal gear steering servo along with a precision matched aluminum rudder for great handling. The hull is made of ABS with a killer paint scheme. You get a 5mm flex drive shaft, stainless steel fins, a 90A watercooled ESC and a boat stand in the box. The electronics are pre-installed and you'll just need to provide two 2S or 3S lipo batteries and four AA's for the transmitter. The HydroPro Inception cost $272.90 and is available at HobbyKing right now.

Mar 23, 2016, 07:05 PM
Plastic Hull....Sigh
Mar 23, 2016, 08:27 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Kudos for the graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507
Plastic Hull....Sigh

For that price range , plastic may be better.

My Joysway Infinity came in fiberglass, but that single-layered hull (single, to keep labor costs down) has more cosmetic issues than most plastic boats...mainly cracking of the brittle gel coat due to flexing. A multi-layered hull would have easily added $100 or more to the $229US price though.

You get what you pay for. To keep the price of a new boat down, SOMETHING always seems to get sacrificed.
Mar 23, 2016, 09:17 PM
Sigh..plastic hull
Mar 23, 2016, 10:39 PM
Mach 1
Put that 6s in it and sit back and watch the magic smoke
Mar 23, 2016, 10:57 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder
Put that 6s in it and sit back and watch the magic smoke
OK!

RC boat fire and explosion - caught on three cameras (5 min 58 sec)
Mar 24, 2016, 03:16 PM
I ordered one. Cant wait to get it!
Mar 30, 2016, 12:19 AM
Received my boat, looks great! I can confirm the ESC is a 90a Hobbywing Seaking. Just got everything setup (trim tabs, prop, turning fins, rudder), will hopefully take it out tomorrow.
Apr 01, 2016, 01:12 AM
Well my first outing didn't go so well. The boat was going into LVC (low voltage cutoff) after a few minutes of run time. I read online about Hobbyking Seaking ESC's having an LVC glitch. Most guys solved the problem by assigning a cell count in the ESC and turning the LVC off or down to 3.0v or 2.8v. I turned mine down to 2.8v and I have an alarm connected to the lipos. I tested a little bit more today and it seems like I've cleared up that issue.

The hull appears to be water tight (visual test in water without canopy), but the canopy looks like its letting water in (2-3 tablespoons after a run). I would recommend canopy tape, that should fix this problem.

I've installed a Garmin Geko 101 so pending weather tomorrow morning I will have initial out of the box speeds on 6s.

Overall it seems to be a very nice boat for the money.
Apr 01, 2016, 01:50 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr1985car
Well my first outing didn't go so well. The boat was going into LVC (low voltage cutoff) after a few minutes of run time. I read online about Hobbyking Seaking ESC's having an LVC glitch. Most guys solved the problem by assigning a cell count in the ESC and turning the LVC off or down to 3.0v or 2.8v. I turned mine down to 2.8v and I have an alarm connected to the lipos. I tested a little bit more today and it seems like I've cleared up that issue..

True that a battery will show a lower voltage under high drain. I use a homemade lipo discharge device using two halogen headlight bulbs wired in series and rated at 55 watts each, to run fully charged batteries down to 3.85 volts for storage if needed.

The volt meter alarm attached to the balance connector reads a voltage .15 volts lower under this load than the battery actually has. Because of this, I set the alarm to go off at 3.7 volts to get 3.85 v.

Having to set your ESC all the way down to 2.8 volts seems drastic. I wonder if a capacitor bank would help the issue?
Apr 01, 2016, 10:33 AM
AirDOGGe, its an issue with the Hobbyking Seaking ESC's, some guys have no problems, other like me experienced LVC at the 3.2V setting. I might be able to put it at 3.0V, but I didnt want to deal with the problem again thats why I put it at 2.8V. With regards to a cap bank, the stock ESC already has one in the battery lead wires. The LVC problem is just a glitch in the ESC, some will have it, some won't (from what I've read).

In other news. I was able to test the boat with out of the box settings and I ran 44.5mph with the 6S prop, 5200 mah 50c 3S lipos (in series) and 35 degree Fahrenheit outside temps.

I tweaked the prop angle and went out for another run, but my lipos were done. I also had not one drop of water in the hull (I used canopy tape).

I believe with the prop angle tweak and better outside temps I will be seeing upper 40's shortly. Excellent boat for the $.
Apr 01, 2016, 11:22 PM
With a slight prop angle change the boat ran 45.6mph in 37 degree Fahrenheit. Fun stuff.
Apr 02, 2016, 09:09 AM
Decided to switch out the 56mm 1.4 prop for the "4S" 60mm 1.4 prop and the boat ran 49.3mph this morning (27 degrees outside and lots of wind, but fairly calm waters, not glass by any means). This is definitely the "50mph" setup.
Apr 02, 2016, 02:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can find 5mm shaft props? Id like to try a prop between 55-60mm with a 1.6 pitch.
Apr 04, 2016, 10:21 AM
The boat just ran 56MPH this morning! This was with the 60mm prop, 31-32% CG, neutral prop angle. Its really moving now!