Mar 22, 2016, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

World Engines Robin Hood 99

Well, it is official. I got side tracked from my 1/4 sc Nosen Citabria Bush plane build.

I have had a couple Robinhood 99's in the past. In a rarity, I bought both used. The first one, I sold to a friend of mine shortly after I acquired it. The second one, I stripped and recovered while adding some semi scale features (Curtis Robin cowl and tall Golden Age wheels) and some play features (G-38 with B& B smoke system and a dual 12" action figure parachute drop). This was all 10-12+ years ago.

The second one was built when my two older sons were young. The graphics were in their names. Now my 3rd son who is a teenager and got me back into the hobby, leaned on me saying he needed one.

This will be a quick build and just a fun all around plane. I have secured a G-38 magneto version which is a great fit for the plane. Cowl has been ordered and arrived. I acquired a pair of 12" action figures with chutes through Ebay. The same ones I used prior.

The scheme will be similar as well. Highly visible and easy to replicate. Yes, looking for ease so I can get back on Bush plane build.

I have attached pics of prior as well as build so far. I have been working about a week in between life's other demands.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2016, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
Pulled fuselage plans out last night. Ok, I could use a bigger building board. I am currently using a 2' x 6'8" HC door.

plans could be a table cloth.

hope to get the fuse boned up over the Easter weekend in between family obligations.
Mar 24, 2016, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
moving along

got some work done during the basketball games tonight.

I was able to get both fuselage sides framed. It took a little longer as I epoxied balsa/plywood joints.

on schedule to get fuse boned before end of the Easter weekend.

Nice working with basic stick construction, some ply.....nothing fancy
Mar 25, 2016, 07:30 AM
Nice to see one of the classics coming together.

Jim
Mar 27, 2016, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Jim. With this second go around in the hobby, I find myself still liking the now "old school" kits. The ones that were around when I first learned to build and fly or ones I built initially. Just have not adapted to the modern ARF world not that there are not some out there I could potentially fly. Alway was a builder as thats what was available.

fuse getting closer.

main formers installed, started rear cross formers. I still have to finish rear cross and tying tail together, tie nose/firewall and install landing gear plate.

couple progress pics
Mar 27, 2016, 10:29 AM
Same Day Delivery
Is this "kit" available anywhere? Looks like a good choice to get back into building again.
Mar 27, 2016, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
The kit has not been available on retail market for years. They do surface here on RCG and RCU from time to time. There is a company doing short version and kit I believe. You would need to do your own gear and hardware. Let me know if you need that info so I can dig it up.

I placed a wanted ad here on RCG and got an instant response.

It is an easy build. Like a giant stick built trainer. It is built with ply main fuse sides and 1/2" sticks throughout as well as tail feathers. The main draw back would be the huge 99" one piece wing. I will be looking to modify hopefully to make a two piece wing.

Its a great fun flying airplane if you decide to build one. lot of lift with huge wing.
Mar 27, 2016, 02:37 PM
Another kit you might be interested in of the same type is the Senior Telemaster. It's still produced.

Laser-Works makes a short kit for the Robinhood.

L.
Last edited by Cherokee Flyer; Mar 27, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
Mar 27, 2016, 08:31 PM
Culper Junior
Good gosh, you build faster than I could get the plans to lay flat.

Is the fuselage framed with balsa or is the square stock something else? Looks like balsa. Always liked this model and fooled around too long at a swap meet a few years ago when a new one was for sale (built!) for $125. On my next trip around the tables it was gone.

Gonna follow along if you don't mind....
Last edited by aeronca52; Mar 27, 2016 at 08:42 PM.
Mar 27, 2016, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
aeronca

always welcome support/following

that was a bargain was missed.even a few years ago, the kit cost was most likely more than asking. it is a plane though that has its own following. semi scale. giant trainer basically. either folks appreciate or do not.me, they are fun and thats what I want.

trying to push it quickly for my son/me. I want to get back to my bush plane project that I temporarily abandoned.

the fuse is 1/2" balsa stick construction with exception of 2 large plywood sides. the firewall is laminated 2-pcs of 1/4' aircraft ply. There is one main fuse cross former made of ply as well as the 2 wing mount areas. after that, sticks, sticks and sticks. but builds quick.

stab, elevators, vertical and rudder are all 1/2" stick construction as well.
Mar 27, 2016, 08:43 PM
Culper Junior
Thanks for the info!
Mar 28, 2016, 09:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
The Robinhood has always been one of my favorites. It will be interesting to follow your progress.
Mar 28, 2016, 01:27 PM
I have these plans and have been threatening to build one for a while now...

The parachutists are neat....what name did these go by on ebay?

Will be watching with interest.

Gordon
Mar 28, 2016, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Action Man
12" Sky Diver by Hasbro

from the 90's

They are out there anywhere from $15-25. Basically like a GI Joe.

pure free fall but they work. just play the wind.

the carrier mounts under the body of the plane. 2 side by side. ball up the shoot between them and the fuse bottom. only did a few drops back in the day. worked good. slow down the plane to almost stall and release away.
Mar 28, 2016, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
OK, finished up fuse basic framing tonight. just off my target date.

the top section behind the firewall gets balsa sheeted. I want to add some fiberglass cloth reinforcement where firewall mounts to fuse. I did add 1/8 ply from firewall to landing gear plate. In the plans, it was left open. That would mean main strength of firewall would come from sides only. This ply bottom will add an additional 3rd joint.

I need to get back to tail feathers getting them shaped and holes drilled for hinge points. I believe I am going that direction.

Then on to building main gear and starting wings.

Quick Reply