Military Drone Clone - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 08, 2016, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyg32
Yes the 10x zoom from Surveilzone.
Runcam owl for night vision.
780nm IR laser for laser designation. Now this I added simply because I could, basically i was copying roughly anyway what a military version would do. Also a buddy is taking my drawings and seeing if he can convert it to a 3d print model for me. I have run into a problem where the motor doesn't appear to be in the unit square and so the pivot is wrong and so i need to focus on that. It looks pretty cool right now however. If I can get this pivot issue resolved it will be very cool
Wow....Wow....and Wow again! I literally just got my 3d printer from the big brown truck yesterday. If you ever get the chance to post up some 3d models that would be beyond awesome! I'm hoping to start putting it together tomorrow. And then I'm going to use it to make parts for a CNC router next.

Still looking awesome. I'd love to do something similar....Keep on posting!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2016, 03:16 PM
i wish i knew 3d drawing as i would love to have done this in 3d and then make it as a printed object. this is all done by hand and printing would be more accurate and faster
Mar 12, 2017, 08:50 AM

Military Drone Clone Update 03/12/2017

Sorry guys I had put the project down as I was having no luck with it. If I could do 3d drawing and printing I think I would be farther ahead, but this past week I dusted the project off and started fresh, this time its coming together much better. I need to finish the yaw control arm and prime it then I am going to mount and test the unit, I have installed the cameras, well at least put them in place and have installed and wired the IMU. We shall see what it goes.
Last edited by Rickyg32; Mar 12, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Mar 12, 2017, 11:41 PM
I hope you can keep on building this. It's definitely one of my favorite quads of all time. I had been wondering how it was going.

I have a 3d printer but I'm not very good at the designing side of it. I can pretty much download and print most projects with problem. I have designed and printed some simple things. I use Sketchup with pretty good results. I find it to be fairly intuitive to use. I watched a few videos to get started and I think that really helped. And my 3d printer is a cheap one from Amazon. I can't remember the brand but it was one that came in a kit. It was like $350 I think.

With you doing casting a 3d printer would really be an assit I think. You could print your positives and then mold them.

I'd be happy to print some items for you but the shipping would eat us alive I think.

Anyway...I still love the project. If something happens that you decide to give it up please let me know. I'd love to have your project....lol

Greg
Mar 13, 2017, 12:56 PM
Military Drone Clone PWR on Test (0 min 45 sec)
Mar 13, 2017, 01:05 PM
Hmmmm... Houston we have a problem.......

It's looking good though.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Mar 14, 2017, 12:36 PM
Are you giving any servo input? Or is that simply the response on power on? What is your gimbal controller of choice? Keep on with the progress Sir.
Mar 14, 2017, 01:44 PM
Here is test two today. I replaced the pitch motor as I suspected it was not working right.
I am using a storm32 board for controller

Military Drone Clone PWR on Test 2 (1 min 41 sec)
Mar 14, 2017, 06:21 PM
http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/..._Configuration

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post37071089

http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/Video_Tutorials

OlliW is very active in his forum and quite helpful regarding queries - kindly have a look to see if anyone is able to assist you on the links above.
Last edited by morgenstar; Mar 14, 2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Additional link.
Mar 14, 2017, 06:32 PM

Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgenstar
http://www.olliw.eu/storm32bgc-wiki/..._Configuration

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post37071089

OlliW is very active in his forum and quite helpful regarding queries - kindly have a look to see if anyone is able to assist you on one and/or/both links above.

Yes OlliW has been a great help in fact it was he that put me on to what was wrong with it. He is awesome and gives super support.

With his input I solved the problem and the unit is now working, its not tuned, and I have no plans to tune it at this point as I want to work on the design and build/ There are some issues I need to sort out prior to setting up the molds to cast finished parts.

Military Drone Clone PWR on Test 3 (0 min 36 sec)
Mar 15, 2017, 03:47 AM
Brilliant! Happy to see progress. Will you finish the gimbal work before continuing the frame? Intrigued to see the solution for the folding boom arms - I do not see any cumbersome joints - wondering about the rigidity/strength of the solution.

Attached picture for reference, unfortunately still do not see how this can work
Looks simple enough, but if it can hold a copter of multiple KGs, should be good!
Mar 15, 2017, 07:21 AM
Suspended Account
Do a search guys on the US shooting down a cheap drone with a $3Mill Patriot missile! Gotta love that!
Mar 15, 2017, 09:57 AM

Hey there

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgenstar
Brilliant! Happy to see progress. Will you finish the gimbal work before continuing the frame? Intrigued to see the solution for the folding boom arms - I do not see any cumbersome joints - wondering about the rigidity/strength of the solution.

Attached picture for reference, unfortunately still do not see how this can work
Looks simple enough, but if it can hold a copter of multiple KGs, should be good!
So yes to your question, if I get the gimbal working I will then move on with the frame. I too am concerned about the folding mech so thats the next part to work on. Since I was able to get the gimbal to work I ordered some Carbon Fiber plate to build a set of folding parts to see how that works out. I have a set of bushings in the shop and springs on order. So once that all arrives I will see how I can get the folding system to work. I have a good idea how it should be but only time will tell. The frame itself is fairly straight forward and I will cut it from MDF or Plywood this week to see if I missed anything while I was drawing it up. I will assemble it and see if it all goes where it should go. I will post pictures of the frame once assembled later this week.
Mar 15, 2017, 10:26 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39277940
Mar 15, 2017, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyg32
So yes to your question, if I get the gimbal working I will then move on with the frame. I too am concerned about the folding mech so thats the next part to work on. Since I was able to get the gimbal to work I ordered some Carbon Fiber plate to build a set of folding parts to see how that works out. I have a set of bushings in the shop and springs on order. So once that all arrives I will see how I can get the folding system to work. I have a good idea how it should be but only time will tell. The frame itself is fairly straight forward and I will cut it from MDF or Plywood this week to see if I missed anything while I was drawing it up. I will assemble it and see if it all goes where it should go. I will post pictures of the frame once assembled later this week.
Spot on! Myself am an avid fan of plywood - easy to work, not particularly heavy and flexes a little under pressure (which is not always a bad thing) - not quite as brittle as CF.

Will be checking this thread readily - has also served as inspiration to continue with my own project which has lost some momentum over the winter. Looking at something similar in build alas, on a smaller scale, with 15 inch props. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply