Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 16, 2018, 12:02 PM
But then you would need a ring to find it
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 12:03 PM

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower669
Okay, so I'm getting 6-Gartt 4114-330's, 6-ZTW Spider 40A 600HZ esc's, and 6-17x55 cf props for $175 shipped. Did I do okay Rick?
That strikes me as a great outstanding price.
Apr 16, 2018, 01:24 PM
Loki's Minion

And in the darkness, bind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyg32
But then you would need a ring to find it
Lol
Latest blog entry: State of the Union
Apr 16, 2018, 01:29 PM
wow another Tolkienist

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

So there was actually 4 rings...Narya, Vilya, Nenya and Gpsya
Apr 16, 2018, 01:57 PM
Loki's Minion
No more Silmarillion for you Rick.
Apr 16, 2018, 01:57 PM
Loki's Minion
The people won't understand and they'll look at you funny.
Apr 16, 2018, 05:12 PM
hahahah the Silmarillion was the only book I didn't care for. But I read them all.
Apr 17, 2018, 05:48 AM
Loki's Minion
Well I got the pixhawk removed and the zyx-m mounted and calibrated, now I just need weather. As soon as it flies, I'll start to bench test the pix while I wait fir my other motors, then is on to disassemble the larger quad for the motor swap and lighting add.
Last edited by Tower669; Apr 17, 2018 at 06:13 AM.
Apr 17, 2018, 07:11 AM
Looks good. Very space age looking. Sort of like some alien spider like robotic creature.. I seem to be having some movie flash back
Apr 17, 2018, 07:27 AM
Loki's Minion
Is it the Tom Selik movie where he's a cop in the future and the bullets are spider robots?
Apr 17, 2018, 11:17 AM
Are you thinking of Runaway with Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons.
Loved that movie despite how bad it was.
Apr 17, 2018, 11:31 AM
Loki's Minion
Yup
Apr 17, 2018, 12:51 PM

Military Drone Clone Update 4-17-2018

So quick update.
Last night I was looking to understand why the locking mechanism was so hard to lock and unlock. When I realized the issue was that the pin wasn't perfectly lined up on the hole that it needed to slide into.
So I made a jig and reassembled all the pivot arms such that they line up correctly. The problem is I have to disassemble the arms with the wires still inside and connected to the motors and ESC.
Anyway, long story short I reassembled everything last night and bingo, the machine locks much better. Sadly I have messed up the pins from having to pry them all the time. So I ordered new ones. In the meantime these will work, albeit a bit stiff still.

So I got it all assembled and while I had a moment I thought I would do another power on test. Well not the result I was looking for. Suddenly smoke started racing out of one arm tube..uck what a smell. I pulled the battery and found it was on specific arm that was smoking. I pulled the cable to see if it was free and argh I had screwed through it despite the care I took with it.

So I pulled the screws out and disconnected the leads from the PDB. Luckily I had set a lot of this up to be easy to work on so disconnecting was easy. I pulled the wires out and sure as heck there was a nice hole through the positive into the side of the ground.

I have since repaired the wires. They where actually fine just the insulation was damaged..Shrink wrap dealt with that.
I just need more wire armor and will grab that tomorrow as I have used it all up.
Oh but I put the screws back in first before I get to running the wires through.

3 steps forward and 1 back..life as a drone builder..sigh.

Upside is the locking is much better and I so far have not found anything else damaged by the short.

Edit..just double checked nothing else damaged.
Last edited by Rickyg32; Apr 17, 2018 at 01:00 PM.
Apr 17, 2018, 03:25 PM
Loki's Minion
Man. I did that with a brand new 4 in 1 20 amp esc a month ago. Screw through a motor lead to the frame. Magic smoke. I also thought I was extra careful as it was my first mini build.
Apr 17, 2018, 04:22 PM
if you did it on the motor side of the ESC...not good..not good at all. I was lucky I did it on the power side of the ESC so it should be fine. Will find out tomorrow. Fingers crossed cause I dont' recall where the ESC's are from.

Quick Reply