Jul 13, 2016, 07:18 PM
Plastic
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/clear-plastic-ornaments
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2016, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyg32
Started cutting and assembling the Zoom function today. More work to come
now there is a cheap camera AHD standard, they have external control zoom and focus, which is easily done with of radio control.

http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/AHD-Mo...08.0.95.j6G65E
Jul 18, 2016, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegtur77
now there is a cheap camera AHD standard, they have external control zoom and focus, which is easily done with of radio control.

http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/AHD-Mo...08.0.95.j6G65E
I have one of these. They do work. However the zoom is only about 4x mechanical and then there is digital zoom on top of that but the digital is only accessible via the OSD which makes it impossible in the air. I have a 10x pwm controlled camera. Also the auto focus on these cameras is terribly slow.
Jul 18, 2016, 01:16 PM

First successful Cast

Got my first successful cast of the front cover this weekend. This evening I will work on the support structure. Start setting the mold up for it so I can cast the first plastic part Wednesday.

Still some rough edges that I need to see what can be done but all in all its looking pretty good.
Jul 19, 2016, 06:59 PM

Military Drone Clone update

Ok first part finished, Painted and IR laser installed. Internal support mechanism mold under way. Hope to pour the first support in a couple days and then start mounting the cameras, motors and IMU. Thinking about a gold tint insert for the lower camera just for appearance sake. Like the real EO/IR devices
Jul 29, 2016, 02:55 PM

Military Drone Clone update -7/29/2016

I couldn't help it. I wasn't happy with the way things where going. I redesigned the first half of the ball to make it lighter by bringing the mounting and the front half of the ball together. Now the front half has mounting for the low lux camera and a spot for the 10x as well as the laser. Its a tight fit but that's ok. just need to prime it and spot putty then make the mould. The back section needs a bit of work but also fits much better. Pictures of that part coming soon. Man this is a lot of work
Jul 30, 2016, 07:58 PM

Military Drone Clone update (07/30/2016)

Today I got to make up the back half of the ball.
I have the mount points incorporated into the back so the ball will have no visible screws just a seam and the cameras of course. I just need to drill the holes for the mounting screws.

Tomorrow if there is time its sanding and spot putty for both parts and prep for the mould making.

This week I am going to make the moulds and next week assemble the first ball with cameras and other interesting components. It's been a good day.
Jul 30, 2016, 08:12 PM
Toecutter
Wow, this is remarkable. Definitely following.
What material are you casting the parts out of? Is it fiber reinforced?

I bow to your DIY skills.
Jul 30, 2016, 09:32 PM
Awesome. Please keep posting. I absolutely love this thing! I've developed a lot of interest in casting lately. I've got to get me some materials to get started. I never thought about casting RC parts. Great Ideas!
Jul 31, 2016, 04:20 PM

Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebs318
Wow, this is remarkable. Definitely following.
What material are you casting the parts out of? Is it fiber reinforced?

I bow to your DIY skills.
The parts will likely be cast out of a material called Feather light. Its a bitch to pour but if i can get it worked out it actually floats its so light. The gimbal and ball are not real heavy.. I hope, so they don't need to have a ton of strength. I would love to use carbon fiber or something like that but I have no experience with it.
Aug 01, 2016, 11:59 AM
A little demo of the results from the plastics test. I love this Feather Light Plastic, strong and very light

Gimbal Part Demo (0 min 38 sec)
Aug 04, 2016, 10:55 AM
That Feather Lite product looks like an excellent material. When you say it's hard to pour what problems have you seen. I'd love to build a gimbal similar to what you've done.....Excellent Work!
Aug 04, 2016, 12:00 PM

Viscosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic265
That Feather Lite product looks like an excellent material. When you say it's hard to pour what problems have you seen. I'd love to build a gimbal similar to what you've done.....Excellent Work!
The issue with this plastic is two fold.
First it has whats considered a high viscosity index, basically its thick and hard to pour, its slow and is hard to move around inside a complex mold.

Second issue is that it thickens quick so in a matter of a few minutes it thickens to the point of being impossible to pour.

to combat this I added three pour points to the new mould as well as 6 vents for air to escape. I did a test pour this morning and while there where a couple voids. They where very small and easy to deal with using spot putty, which I would do with any plastic if it was needed. So not a concern there.

I did find one serious void and a few defects which I think i have now dealt with and the second pour is in the mould right now.

If this is successful I will follow the same steps again to see if I can reproduce the part a second time before I declare success.

We shall see. what I saw today left me reasonably happy with the result. i think i might need to reinforce one area of the item before i am completely happy..but fingers crossed its starting to look right.

Will post the results once I am done
Aug 04, 2016, 01:20 PM
Toecutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyg32
The issue with this plastic is two fold.
First it has whats considered a high viscosity index, basically its thick and hard to pour, its slow and is hard to move around inside a complex mold.

Second issue is that it thickens quick so in a matter of a few minutes it thickens to the point of being impossible to pour.

to combat this I added three pour points to the new mould as well as 6 vents for air to escape. I did a test pour this morning and while there where a couple voids. They where very small and easy to deal with using spot putty, which I would do with any plastic if it was needed. So not a concern there.

I did find one serious void and a few defects which I think i have now dealt with and the second pour is in the mould right now.

If this is successful I will follow the same steps again to see if I can reproduce the part a second time before I declare success.

We shall see. what I saw today left me reasonably happy with the result. i think i might need to reinforce one area of the item before i am completely happy..but fingers crossed its starting to look right.

Will post the results once I am done
I continue to be in awe of this project. Regarding pouring the compound, could a syringe help in filling those hard to reach cavities? Force inject rather than pour?

Quick Reply