Mar 22, 2016, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Military Drone Clone

So about a year ago I saw a military drone that I liked. So for giggles I decided I would knock off my own version of it.
I will post updates as the build progresses.

So far I have mocked up the frame and just in the middle of tweaking it based on ow its come together so far.

I also started the canopy model so I can glass up a canopy to match.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2016, 07:46 PM
Thread OP

Rainy Day work

A buddy is 3d printing motor mounts, landing legs and X supports.
Mar 22, 2016, 07:52 PM
Thread OP

warning

Even looking at knocking off the yellow warning stickers on the booms.
Mar 24, 2016, 05:40 PM
Thread OP

My Bro finished the parts printing.

I designed up the parts I needed and my Buddy Gee printed them up for me.
Awesome
Mar 27, 2016, 10:57 AM
Thread OP

Canopy

Got some work done on the Canopy model today. Wife was at church and I got the router and table saw going. I can see I have some tweaking of the frame to do and need to figure out how to screw it on. but one thing at a time
Mar 29, 2016, 06:30 PM
Thread OP

Time to Sand

First pass of primer done. Puttying done.
Tomorrow sanding and then primer and then sand and then shelve till I am ready for it.
But starting to look good.
Mar 31, 2016, 07:14 PM
Thread OP

Started on the Zoom Camera Function

Started cutting and assembling the Zoom function today. More work to come
Apr 01, 2016, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Well not liking where this is going. Got it working this morning and don't like how big the whole thing is getting so back to the drawing board
Apr 01, 2016, 07:35 PM
Thread OP

Canopy ready to mould

Canopy mock up is done. Need to pour the mould.
Maybe this weekend.
long way from needing it at this point
Apr 01, 2016, 08:33 PM
Nice! Looking forward to see the finished copter.
Apr 03, 2016, 10:46 AM
Thread OP

In the mould now

i don't have the parts to get the ball camera built so doing the bits i can while i wait for stuff to arrive.

next week I hope to begin the ball build, but then i need to wait for RCtimer to get me my brush-less motors that will drive the gimbal function
Jun 01, 2016, 07:39 AM
Thread OP

A little progress on the Gimbal for the Drone Clone Project

A little progress on the Gimbal for the Drone Clone Project, the start of the gimbal mock ups over the last few days.

In the next couple of days I will confirm the orientation and fit of the brushless motors and pivot point. As well as sanding off any lumps and bumps. Tune the pivot points for center as best I can.

Then work on the mockup of the Yaw component and then start prepping for mold making.
Jun 01, 2016, 11:26 AM
Really cool project, thanks for sharing. You know how big is the real one is vs your clone?
Jun 02, 2016, 02:15 PM
Thread OP

Thanks

The machine size will be nearly the same. Since I am using various photos and drawing the exact size will be a bit off I am sure as will the exact construction. I don't have the same equipment and access to parts and machine shops like these guys do so I have to adapt. I also completed the first draft design and then came upon a drawing with measurements attached so that helped. However the draft design is off by a few mm here and there but still is pretty close.

We are talking about a 1 meter machine so pretty big.
Jun 02, 2016, 03:08 PM
Really cool project, I would love to get a look under the hood of the real one, I bet it is all just cheap as chips stuff from bangoods and hk though.

Quick Reply